Spec me a downsize route

Associate
Hi guys,

I have moved to a new place recently and I don't have as much room as before for the PC. It is looking pretty gargantuan sat in the corner of our living room.

As such, looking to swap into a smaller case using as many of the existing components as I can (cpu, PSU, GPU etc). Any recommendations?

Also, I'm not sure if it's still possible to get hold of Small Form Factor socket 1366 motherboards to re-use my i7 920 cpu?

If not possible, what path would people recommend I take to get equivalent (maybe a bit more) performance?

Looking to spend £200 for the entire project including new case

Cheers in advance!

Associate
You will struggle to find a mini itx board on socket 1366

They don't exist

and that case would not accommodate the gpu

Are you refering to the case I suggested for him?
Ofc it will take his GPU, I've built several gaming pc's into these for friends who wanted something in the living room.

And find a cheap micro atx board.

Socket 1366 boards went out of production years ago, the only m-ATX one worth considering was the Asus Rampage III Gene.
Those are now like hens teeth, you can look for one for months on end on the popular auction site.
Even if he does find one, they are sought after and fetch stupid prices.

The easiest route for him is to either ditch the 1366 gear or just go with another case.
If he did ditch the 1366 gear his budget will only allow him to buy second hand i5 2500k / 3570k and then he's faced again trying to find an m-ATX motherboard for it that's out of production and highly sought after, they fetch stupid prices.

Those CPU's are not vastly different in performance from what he has now.
In this scenario, it's better to stick with what he has and put it all in a case he can live with.

Last edited:
Associate
If you are referring to the case someone recommended I can say for sure it can take a GPU, it houses my MSI R9 290X along with a full size motherboard just fine with room to spare. Only thing that lets it down is that you really need a low profile cooler.

Associate
If you are referring to the case someone recommended I can say for sure it can take a GPU, it houses my MSI R9 290X along with a full size motherboard just fine with room to spare. Only thing that lets it down is that you really need a low profile cooler.

I used a Noctua NH-D9DX in a recent i7 5820k build with a 4.3ghz overclock in the GD09. no issues.
Superb cooler for small spaces.

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/noctua-nh-d9dx-i4-3u-cpu-cooler-92mm-hs-029-nc.html

You can run into issues if you want a Blu ray drive in there, they are longer than most optical drives.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Thanks guys for the advice & comments :)

I suspected I might be pushing it a bit looking for something to utilise my ancient components! Thanks for confirming :)

I hadn't considered HTPC case at all, but that is a great idea. Only problem is my below TV space is maxed out at the moment too! Do these cases tend to be okay with larger GPUs? My signature is a little out of date now I've looked. Just updated it!

Soldato
So you just have 1 card, is it not over a duel width? If so the SG05 might do, they have a atx psu version also, not sure what it is called... That is mITX though...

Back
Top Bottom