• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

upgrade to a 980ti

Soldato
Hey, I was looking at buying a new monitor then realized that between the money I'd spend on a new monitor and sale of my current card I could afford a 980ti, this seems like a better upgrade seeing as I'm running a 3gb card anyway so higher Res's would have struggled. Was gonna hold out for Pascal but that'll likely be out of budget at the time.

Anyway what card would you recommend? I'm thinking of getting one with a reference PCB so I can watercool it. Want to try and spend as little as possible. Thanks.

Soldato
OP
Pretty much yeah, but that also means my 780ti will drop too so either way i lose out.

Yeah I'm pretty certain EVGA cards don't have a reference PCB. Atleast my classy doesn't.

Soldato
Is it really worth it considering the cost you will get for yours and the extra needed for a 980ti?

in my opinion, yes, the 980ti is a brilliant card and with a decent overclock is about 70-80% faster than a 780ti

if we had more info on when the "big" pascal was going to be out then it might be worth waiting, but as things stand it is definitely an upgrade worth doing

only the OP can answer on whether he would then be against upgrading again in the next 1-2 years

Associate
I went from a 980 SLI system to a 980Ti system and have never been happier. The frame time issues with the SLI cards and the stutter just made me angry. Happier with the consistent albeit slower frames of the 980Ti. Plus the added RAM really does make a difference.

Associate
Pretty much yeah, but that also means my 780ti will drop too so either way i lose out.

Yeah I'm pretty certain EVGA cards don't have a reference PCB. Atleast my classy doesn't.

Yeah, the Classified cards are defently not ref design :) but nearly all other cards. From the 980/Ti s only the FTW, Classi and KP cards are not Ref, all other cards do use the Ref PCB layout.

Soldato
OP
Yeah, the Classified cards are defently not ref design :) but nearly all other cards. From the 980/Ti s only the FTW, Classi and KP cards are not Ref, all other cards do use the Ref PCB layout.

Thanks Dom. I presume EVGA's warranty policy is still if you have to original cooler it doesn't matter?

Just out of curiosity what card would recommend to put a block on? I'm thinking of the superclocked

Associate
In case of RMA you will need to install the originally cooler again. If you do not have this anymore the warranty is not void, you will just need to pay for the cooler which is usually between 40 to 60 EUR. 60 will be for the titan style ones as the material of them is just really expensive. Generally we do also offer the advanced RMA. If you do not have the cooler of the card anymore you can go for the advanced RMA, take the cooler off the replacement you receive and send it back with the faulty unit. Then you can get arround the fee for the cooler if you do not need it again. I would also suggest the SC model. This is 100% ref and every block certified for this will fit. Of the Ti 980s is a SC version with and without backplate available. If you go for watercooling I would go right away for the model with backplate as it helps to strenght the PCB when the block is installed.

Soldato
Hey, I was looking at buying a new monitor then realized that between the money I'd spend on a new monitor and sale of my current card I could afford a 980ti, this seems like a better upgrade seeing as I'm running a 3gb card anyway so higher Res's would have struggled. Was gonna hold out for Pascal but that'll likely be out of budget at the time.

Anyway what card would you recommend? I'm thinking of getting one with a reference PCB so I can watercool it. Want to try and spend as little as possible. Thanks.

What resolution do you have? My 780Ti was chewing threw games on ultra and high settings at 3440 x 1440 Ultra Wide.. So if you have a 1440p monitor or lower at 60Hz you're wasting your money on a 980Ti.

I have a 980Ti only because I thought it wouldn't be enough to drive the new 3440 x 1440 monitor, both purchased at same time,but tested monitor on the 780Ti 1st and was amazed how well it played the games.

If you are on 1080p,1200p,1440p @60Hz stick with the 780Ti. If you own a 1080p monitor update that to higher resolution before you update the 780Ti.

Last edited:
Soldato
So if you have a 1440p monitor or lower at 60Hz you're wasting your money on a 980Ti.

I don't agree with this.
It really depends on what you're playing and what settings you like to run.

Perhaps you don't want to be constantly skimming or even dipping under 60fps.
Perhaps you want to use DSR.

There are plenty of scenarios where it makes sense.

Man of Honour
So if you have a 1440p monitor or lower at 60Hz you're wasting your money on a 980Ti.

I don't agree with this.
It really depends on what you're playing and what settings you like to run.

Perhaps you don't want to be constantly skimming or even dipping under 60fps.
Perhaps you want to use DSR.

There are plenty of scenarios where it makes sense.

This^

If I had to use 1440p I would want to run it on 2 top end cards like a pair of 980 Ti's, or Fury Xs to get max settings @60fps in all games.

Back
Top Bottom