PPI

Associate
Hi,

Have had a credit card with Marbles for several years - unused for a number of years which had a very small credit balance (literally pence).

Made a PPI claim in December 2012 - was told by a very miserable call centre lady I had "never had PPI etc, but would look into it" so was a little disappointed, but forgot all about it.

Received NO correspondence in the ensuing months.

My June 2013 statement arrived with a credit balance of £815.78 with a number of sums, for "Premium Refund", "APR Refund" and "Transaction Transfer". Delighted, I had them transfer this into my Bank Account.

My July 2013 statement arrived (should have been zero) but had a £131.45 DEBIT balance against "PPI Cheque". I rang them and having gone back and forth for several days, finally spoke to someone in the Bank of Scotland PPI team who advised there had been an error and I should have received some cheques.

He said they would be in the post, and an additional one for £30 for inconvenience.

I received the cheques - totalled £814.78. Delighted I paid these into my bank - assuming these were also owing to me.

However, my August 2013 statement arrived, with a DEBIT of £814.78 DEBIT (value of the PPI cheques sent in July).

I have been ringing them every other day, finally someone twigged I was paid twice in error.

I've been told a million stories - one of which was it will be written off as an error, but another who said I will be liable for it.

I've still not received ONE letter or Call, it's always me calling them.

I now have a Debit CC balance when it was all clear.

Should I dig my heels in? I don't want to get a bad balance recored.

Might give Ann Robinson a call!

Associate
OP
Agreed, but I was never given any correspondence as to how much is owing - I understand you're supposed to get an offer to accept / contest.

For all I knew, this was owing to me - a banking organisation of that size should have administrative systems to trace outgoing payments!

Associate
OP
You'll soon get letters and calls if you don't make at least the minimum payment of that balance! :)

I might pay the £8 minimum to buy me another 6 weeks of wasted, senseless phonecalls to a Manila-based call centre where the operative has all the linguistic capabilities of Manny Pacquaio's gloves.

Associate
I wouldnt pay anything, unless you're in a business where you need your credit rating kept clean to operate.

At the end of the day, regardless if you have to give the money back, they will have to fix your credit rating as the initial error is on their part, not yours.

I would start off with a complaint and escalate if necessary.

Associate
Try a letter detailing what's happened. I find the old snailmail tends to get more things done than phonecalls, plus then you have a record of what has been said.

Associate
OP
I wouldnt pay anything, unless you're in a business where you need your credit rating kept clean to operate.

At the end of the day, regardless if you have to give the money back, they will have to fix your credit rating as the initial error is on their part, not yours.

I would start off with a complaint and escalate if necessary.

I've really tried but it's hard when they're a UK based credit card, but the PPI claim is handled by an overseas call centre.

I have absolutely no confidence that anything is being done.

Associate
What would you like to be done? I doubt they will clear the debt on the CC, you should be able to another distress and inconvenience payout though. You should be able to get through to one of the call escalation teams who investigate what has happened, try calling the main HBOS PPI line as they deal with the Aqua cards.

Associate
OP
What would you like to be done? I doubt they will clear the debt on the CC, you should be able to another distress and inconvenience payout though. You should be able to get through to one of the call escalation teams who investigate what has happened, try calling the main HBOS PPI line as they deal with the Aqua cards.

I'd like some confidence in knowing something is being done, and that someone is prepared to take responsibility for the error.

Associate
Ultimately, if you are not getting anywhere with Manilla, just threaten to take the complaint to FOS. It costs the bank about the same as your payment for each FOS case. I would clear the balance first though, just in case they rule against you and you'll be stuck for the charges etc.

Associate
OP
Ultimately, if you are not getting anywhere with Manilla, just threaten to take the complaint to FOS. It costs the bank about the same as your payment for each FOS case. I would clear the balance first though, just in case they rule against you and you'll be stuck for the charges etc.

If I clear the balance, I might end up £800 worse off!

Associate
If i understand you right, You won't up end up £800 worse off, just only £800 better off! Although I see where you are coming from. Ultimately you can risk it, and see what happens.

Associate
OP
If i understand you right, You won't up end up £800 worse off, just only £800 better off! Although I see where you are coming from. Ultimately you can risk it, and see what happens.

Currently I'm £1,600 "up" due to error, but they're attempting to claw 800 back

Caporegime
Hi,

Have had a credit card with Marbles for several years - unused for a number of years which had a very small credit balance (literally pence).

Made a PPI claim in December 2012 - was told by a very miserable call centre lady I had "never had PPI etc, but would look into it" so was a little disappointed, but forgot all about it.

Hang on, so you made a PPI claim, but you knew you hadn't taken out PPI?

Associate

Don't do this just yet, you need to raise a complaint with the bank DIRECTLY, list all the grievances you had with them, the time and money spent on calls, conflicting information, the stress and inconvenience caused to you (have you checked your credit score?).

I would put it to them that its their error and they are not "treating you fairly", request that the monies are re-credited to your account.

Ensure you send the letter recorded delivery or you can complain over the phone the banks HAVE to acknowledge this.

The bank then has 28 days to respond to your complaint, or 56 days if they write a holding letter to you explaining why they have not resolved the complaint.

If they satisfy the complaint or meet you half way and you accept, then its sorted.

If you aren't happy you can escalate at this stage ONLY to the FOS who will look at the complaint and make a decision.

Its important to note that every complaint that ends up with FOS costs the bank approx £300 just for the referral... so banks are eager to avoid this when possible.

Soldato
You made a PPI claim but didn't actually have PPI? If even if you were silly enough to not read the T&Cs of the finance product when you took it out and didn't know you had PPI (which is of-course you're fault for signing without reading), surely you actually bothered to read them now before claiming that you were mis-sold?

Associate
You made a PPI claim but didn't actually have PPI? If even if you were silly enough to not read the T&Cs of the finance product when you took it out and didn't know you had PPI (which is of-course you're fault for signing without reading), surely you actually bothered to read them now before claiming that you were mis-sold?

My mum just got £4500 back in PPI, she was expecting £300.

Its not always clear if you have PPI on the account or not by looking at the bank statements... sometimes its tied into the interest rates.

Back
Top Bottom