Votes: 15 13.4%

Votes: 10 8.9%

Votes: 1 0.9%

Votes: 1 0.9%

Votes: 4 3.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Soldato
Wow, hadn't realised how close Alonso was to a big accident at the start - the Williams (Massa?) just flew out to the side.

There were some decent overtakes in that, some of which I don't remember.

I reckon F1 would look much more exciting - as it clearly is - if they stopped using such wide angles tracking the cars. Old F1 coverage tended to be much less professional and used tighter angles when trackside - making the most of each car's speed. Much like the "new" onboard angle by the driver's head - it's the same as in the early 90s.

Soldato
At 1 min in - what's going on with the FI's (I think it's FI) rear left wheel? It looks wonky from Alonso's onboard too.

It's just positive camber (or more likely less negative camber than normal).

Monza's an odd track in that most of the corners are fairly low speed so you don't have the downforce to squash the tyres down into the road, so you'd probably use less negative camber than for your average track to keep a wider contact patch on the road - usually the inside of the tyre has more contact than the outside (which is negative camber).

It does look odd, but I think it's a combination of the wide angle lens on the onboard camera and the fact that Force India did go for a more extreme camber set up than some others.

Associate
The fact is, until we have a spec series there will always be one team with an inherent advantage. Now I don't expect to see a spec series but there should be a way that those without the latest trick tech to catch up, without writing half of the rule book to accommodate it!

Stamp out the floor and let's get some Flintstone action going.

I genuinely think the cars are too reliable now. When I started watching F1 in the mid eighties, it was never certain a car would make it to the end of the race.
Of course adding in the the abundance of gravel traps to add a further chance of a driver not finishing helped too.

DRS doesn't help. If a Merc makes a bad start, you just know that even a Ferrari or Red bull won't stand a chance of keeping them back, because they they can always get by with a DRS overtake for another easy win.

In season development being limited doesn't help the situation. If a team is a second quicker at the start of the season, they will have the same advantage at the end. At least there used to be a chance the gap would close (or widen) throughout the season as they copied each others ideas.

I don't mind the best car winning the championship, but how many seasons do we need to watch where nearly every single race is won by that that same car, whilst being helped on it's way.

Back
Top Bottom