router or connection or ???

Associate
I have plusnet fibre and am experiencing a weird issue, we have a number of NowTV boxes and if say two are in use, by the kids and then me and wife are browsing internet on our phones - i-phone 6 and Sony Z5 - the net connection stops for all devices.

Now if I check there is a net connection on the router, trendnet router connected to a bt open reach modem, it says there is still an internet connection but it takes a min or so before the now tv boxes and phones can continue - which looks to me like a dropped connection.

As an aside I have been wiring up connections to the now tv boxes and have so far done 3 but and this morning my daughter was watching one nowtv box, wired, wife was watching one now tv box, wireless downstairs, and I was on my phone and it all stalled.

Have just done a speed test and am getting a 40mb download connection so I am thinking it could be the router going a bit bad.

So what could be the issue, or what can I check next?

Or do I simply bite the bullet and get a new modem router (combined rather than the two seperate boxes) - if so which one?

Matt

Associate
OP
So which router would you buy, or would it be worthwhile getting something like the ubiquiti ac pro to handle all wireless traffic first - I presume fitting an access point means I would have to disable the wireless on the existing TPLINK router?

As for costs for the router, to be honest am not bothered as to the cost I just want something that is reliable, easy to configure, did I mention reliable?

Matt

Associate
OP
Borrowed a router and that was rock solid on the wired connections, billion 7800n, wireless wasn't as good so what would be a good replacement router, preferably an all in one router looking for robustness, good wireless and have a max budget of around £200.

Matt

P.S. could stretch to the Draytek 2860AC as an all in one, but al ot of review sites slate it for poor wireless.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Had a look at a few routers today, what are peoples thoughts on:

ASUS RT-AC3200
ASUS RT-AC88U
TP-LINK Archer C3200
NETGEAR R8000-100UKS Nighthawk X6
Linksys WRT1900ACS

In my gaming PC I have a asus ac68 card, if that makes a difference.

Matt

Soldato
All great units and all should give you great performance (probably more than you need in fact, being mostly AC3200). Also don't forget the D-Link DIR-890L/R.

If you want something top-notch I'd go for the cheapest of the Netgear R8000, Linksys WRT1900ACS, and Asus RT-AC3200.

But realistically an Asus RT-AC68U, Netgear R7000, or Linksys WRT1900AC (note AC, not ACS) would probably be plenty and would save some cash (maybe not the Linksys it's a bit close to the ACS price at time of writing).

Associate
OP
Question, how does an access point work?

Obviously I can get my head around a dual channel router and a tri channel router but what makes an access point - do they have more channels or what?

My current issue, I think, is the physical number of users accessing the internet at anyone point, the existing router doesn't seem to cope with everyone accessing at the same time, this includes wired and wireless connections.

I'm hopeful by going for a faster router that will solve this issue - if the wireless is good enough to cope with the non-wired connections all well and good but if it isn't then that would be my reason to get the access point. If the new router and access point still won't cope with the number of connections then I am not sure what to do.

Matt

Associate
OP
Sorry another dum question, then if an access point is the same then why is it beneficial to get a ubiquiti access point when it should be the same as already on the router?

Matt

Associate
OP
Well the r7800 seems to be performing ok, certainly not noticed anything yet, but it's only been in place for around a day lol.

Am getting occasional stutter, but have been trying to push it somewhat by using nowtv, 1080, playing games whilst also on phones just to see if it stops.

Anyone got any good links for what else I need to look at setting up on this router as currently just plugged it in, set wifi id's etc and then been using it.

Matt

Man of Honour
Blanket statement is not true.

An AP-AC-PRO is much slower than an Apple Airport Extreme, for example.

Would be nice to know which firmware those tests were done on. Read many consumer reviews and you'll find people swapping their Airport Extreme's out and replacing them with AP-AC-Pro(s) and seeing better performance.

Soldato
Personally I'd go for an edgerouter lite and 1 or 2 ubiquiti access points. Reason being a decent router paired with separate access points provides a more tailored solution. Providing you can run Ethernet between the router and the access points, it enables you to place the access points in the most suitable place(s) rather than trying to serve WiFi from perhaps a less than ideal location of a wireless router. WiFi speed degrades over distance so having access points closer to their intended usage locations could see better speeds and more reliable WiFi connections.

Back
Top Bottom