Question about moving a router?

Associate
Hey, I'm just wondering what i need to do.
I'm with virgin media and we have the router in 1 room but we want to move the router to a different room how do i go about doing this? Because the room the router is in, its got a cable in the back of it to a fitting on the wall? do i have to ring virgin and get another installed?

Soldato
You could try a long coaxial cable. There's usually a better way to fix whatever the problem is though without moving the modem away from the master socket (presumably this is also a no-no with cable, correct me if I'm wrong people). So why are you trying to move the box?

Associate
OP
Reason for moving the router is because the router is in my mums room but she uses her pc wireless and i have 3 things that i use ethernet cables for in my room so i have to run 3 cables through my room and along the hall and in to hers, so it makes more sence to have the router in my room and it makes the house cleaner without wires running through the hall

Associate
OP
But with them methods theres still a cable being run, the reason we want to move the router is so theres no cable being run through the hall, if i was to ring virgin would they not install another thing thats in the other room thats mounted on the wall and it plugs into the router? probs for a fee but thats fine but for that would i need to ring virgin and ask?

Soldato
The question is about moving the modem (I assume). Virgin use coxial cable on the 'internet' side.

I've no idea what the encoding is on the cable side but I imagine you'd have to be pretty careful about conversion between the coax and the powerline kit. Coaxial to PLC kits do exist but I think they're for TV, and I don't know how different that is to a Virgin signal. Not sure if these suggestions are too clever for me or they missed the main point of the OP? :D

Last edited:
Associate
The question is about moving the modem (I assume). Virgin use coxial cable on the 'internet' side.

I've no idea what the encoding is on the cable side but I imagine you'd have to be pretty careful about conversion between the coax and the powerline kit. Coaxial to PLC kits do exist but I think they're for TV, and I don't know how different that is to a Virgin signal. Not sure if these suggestions are too clever for me or they missed the main point of the OP? :D

Reason for moving the router is because the router is in my mums room but she uses her pc wireless and i have 3 things that i use ethernet cables for in my room so i have to run 3 cables through my room and along the hall and in to hers, so it makes more sence to have the router in my room and it makes the house cleaner without wires running through the hall

So leave the router where it is and use powerline adapter and switch to get the 3 ports required in the bedroom

Caporegime
If running multiple cables is the problem then why not just buy an 8 port switch for your room and run a single cable?

Back
Top Bottom