Moving to wireless network what kit required for blu ray streaming?

Caporegime
I have discovered powerline doesn't work. Even 2 rooms away I'm down to 7 megabytes per sec

I feel I need at least 20MBytes per second to achieve streaming.

I think I need

New router AC spec (sky is only 2.4ghz N)
New wireless cards or dongles (AC spec)

My main issue is getting my microsever to work as it did over powerline.
This requires WOL which I don't think works unless you have a ethernet cable.

Where I get confused is what to buy to get around this?
Do I need a wireless AC access point that I can plug in near the microsever and run a ethernet cable to this?
Or can I use another wakeup method?
Basically I still want the server to wake up whenever I turn another computer on.

Soldato
Why have you started a new thread?

Powerline is a lottery; but which Powerline adapters are you using, and how are they connected? If you're using the cheapest AV500 adapters you could find connected via an extension lead then that's potentially going to make a big difference compared to AV1200 (or better) adapters connected directly to the wall.

Ideally you want to get the Microserver connected to the router with a cable. This isn't always possible, but without some proper context recommendations for next best solutions are difficult.

Even a rough diagram of what you're trying to achieve could be very helpful.

You want WOL for the Microserver. What OS are you running, and what sleep level do you want to wake from?

Caporegime
OP
I was thinking of doing a diagram as it is the best method

They are av500 points and I only have 2 at the moment
They are not pass through so one has to be in an extension lead (although I could improve this with pass through)
The microsever cannot be connected to the router directly unfortunately otherwise it would be in the living room.
I forget which sleep level the microsever wakes from. But this was all working fine in pervious house.

Soldato
Definitely worth a try. Powerline adapters have improved since the AV500 models, especially the early ones. The mains extension lead definitely wouldn't be helping the situation either.

You can obviously get a direct connection without having the Microserver in the same room as the router. You just need a longer cable.

Caporegime
OP
Definitely worth a try. Powerline adapters have improved since the AV500 models, especially the early ones. The mains extension lead definitely wouldn't be helping the situation either.

You can obviously get a direct connection without having the Microserver in the same room as the router. You just need a longer cable.

The cable would have to run down the stairs or through the living room. It's a no go.
Am I right in thinking a router over WiFi won't cut it? Ie...simultaneously sending and receiving data at a level to support blu ray bit rates?

Was looking at Nighthawk ac1900

Soldato
The bandwidth required for Blu-ray isn't that great. Your original 20Mbps estimate sounds about right.

20Mbps shouldn't be difficult to achieve with Powerline or Wi-Fi. It's basically SFA!; you can see better on a 4G connection.

I ran my network cables externally. It doesn't take long to knock a cable sized hole through an external wall if you have the right kit.

Don't forget that the length of the Ethernet cables to and from the Powerline adapters is irrelevant. If you can achieve what you want by plugging the adapters in closer together with longer cables to the devices then do it.

Associate
Are you confusing megabytes and megabits? 20Megabytes/sec is way more than you'd need for streaming blurays.

802.11n is more than adequate for streaming pretty much anything available today.. but it will depend on your signal quality.

Soldato
rated speeds are never reached. Most figures show the AC1900 routers at a significantly lower throughput.
Also have a wall to go through.
AC just leaves more headroom

Depends a lot on the circumstances. I have an E3000 (802.11n) that's maxed out (150 Mbit) through one ceiling. I imagine a thin internal wall would be similar.

Still, ac is the newer tech, probably worth it for the long run.

Associate
rated speeds are never reached. Most figures show the AC1900 routers at a significantly lower throughput.
Also have a wall to go through.
AC just leaves more headroom

N operates at 2.4GHz which will permeate better than AC at 5GHz. AC has better throughput but you've got to be nearby and have a clean line of sight so you may just end up having the same problems. You'll be better of sticking something like a TP-LINK TL-ANT2414A on your existing router (if it has external SMA connectors) and pointing it where your room is. Ideally you'd need one on your end too but that depends on how much you want to spend.

Caporegime
OP
To update.
New powerline adapters (2) arrived today's 1200 spec with passthrough.
Really surprising that it has solved the problem.

Now hitting 20-30MByte per second and the stuttering is gone.

That's a 4x-5x increase.
Wasn't expecting it to work.
So I'll be getting more.

For anyone else interested

Went from
netgear av500 non passthrough
to
tplink av1200 passthrough

Back
Top Bottom