German Grand Prix 2016, Hockenheim - Race 12/21

Man of Honour
mk0XtKQ.png

Hockenheim

The original Hockenheim circuit was built in 1939 as a high-speed test track for Mercedes-Benz, who needed a venue to test for the Tripoli Grand Prix. It was almost eight kilometres long and was formed of two long, curved straights with a long corner at either end.

When war broke out the construction was halted and in the post-war years the Nurburgring became the venue for Formula One racing in Germany, with Hockenheim hosting a few smaller events. When a plan to build an autobahn through the circuit was approved, the government supplied Hockenheim with a large sum by way of compensation. This money was used to build a new track, the now famous Hockenheim circuit, which cut through the forest before looping into the wonderful stadium section around which large grandstands were erected.

In 1968 Hockenheim hit the headlines when Jim Clark was killed there in an F2 race. Nevertheless, with the Nurburgring quickly becoming outdated, Formula One racing came to the track in 1970. Once the Nurburgring had been modernised, however, the sport returned there, leaving Hockenheim with national and F2 events.

But after Niki Lauda suffered horrific burns at the Nurburgring in 1976, Hockenheim became the home of the German Grand Prix. It too, however, was not without dangers. In 1980 Patrick Depailler was killed in testing at the track, and a chicane was put in to break up the fast Ostkurve, while in a 1982 crash Ferrari's Didier Pironi suffered terrible injuries to his legs.

In 2002 the long runs through the forest were done away with and the layout of the track was heavily modified. Despite arguments that it had lost some of its character, the first race at the new circuit was deemed a great success and the venue has remained a regular feature on the F1 calendar ever since.

And with the success in recent years of local heroes Michael Schumacher and Sebastian Vettel - and, of course, the Mercedes team - the German Grand Prix at Hockenheim has become one of the most atmospheric races of the season, with the noise from fans in the stadium section being almost deafening at times.

TV Times

Sky:
UhO5cw0.png

C4:
XnUzUlo.png

Track Diagram & Information

VjTySA5.png

Weather Forecast

1XJWqXf.png

2014 Onboard Lap

http://www.formula1.com/en/video/2015/3/Germany_2014_-_Nico_Rosberg_onboard_lap.html

2014 Race Edit

http://www.formula1.com/en/video/2015/3/Germany_2014_-_race_edit.html

Tyre Set Selections Per Driver - Germany

DzurN5J.jpg

Germany Preview Quotes

http://www.formula1.com/en/latest/headlines/2016/7/germany-preview-quotes.html

WDC Standings

fwICmow.png

Constructors' Championship Standings

wvbLFxu.png

Practice 1

ZeNUW8p.png

Practice 2

sdjmZPv.png

Practice 3

u37Cebw.png

Qualifying

ugnacIP.png

Race

rkZsAtR.png

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Does anyone else wish that the season was basically 5 sets of 4 or 7 sets of 3 back to back races?

Back to backs are great fun. :D

Caporegime
Does anyone else wish that the season was basically 5 sets of 4 or 7 sets of 3 back to back races?

I just wish they would move all races to early morning or late afternoon/evening.

Sticking a race at 1pm on a summer Sunday is bad enough. Backing them all up to each other is even worse.

Associate
Still a shame it's not the sprints through the forest no longer. Turn 2 shenanigans on first lap? Rosberg blatantly gone try too hard for the home crowd (if they bother to turn up!) and probably ending up ramming Hamilton.
Hope no gremlins this time also!

Man of Honour
Well, Ferrari's meltdown seems to have started after their failure over the last couple of years.

James Allison has left his position as Technical Director or Ferrari with immediate effect. Apparently it was a joint decision.

I suspect that it was more, you resign or we fire... Shame, he's a good designer and has had some success... Head of aero at Ferrari 2000-2004 and then 2 years at Renault as the Deputy Technical Director.

Mattia Binotto has been promoted to Chief Technical Officer.

Associate

For those of us that work in F1 that sounds like torture. In June Canada/Baku , Austria/Silverstone I spent 5 nights at home in just over a month. Going forward in October and November that number will be smaller. Some of us have famalies you know :p

I just wish they would move all races to early morning or late afternoon/evening.

Sticking a race at 1pm on a summer Sunday is bad enough. Backing them all up to each other is even worse.

The main reason that won't happen is all the support races around F1. At the Europeans we have GP2/GP3 and Porsche Super cup to cover as well. Also the F1 has to be as social for as much of the world as posible. TV revenue and all that. Besides the later you run a race the later I finish after it, 3 to 4 hours to pack up. So finishing a race at 3 is fiìiìne by me :)

Caporegime
But look at the races that get the highest global viewers. Canada, which is later in the day for most viewers.

Also, I remember the days when a ticket for a Sunday of racing got you a Sunday of racing, not half a day. They used to run a couple of races after the F1 which also helped ease traffic leaving.

GP3 also suffers as its races are always at like 8am when nobody is there. Would it be so difficult to shift F1 a few hours and make it a whole day thing?

Last edited:
Soldato
Well, Ferrari's meltdown seems to have started after their failure over the last couple of years.

James Allison has left his position as Technical Director or Ferrari with immediate effect. Apparently it was a joint decision.

I suspect that it was more, you resign or we fire... Shame, he's a good designer and has had some success... Head of aero at Ferrari 2000-2004 and then 2 years at Renault as the Deputy Technical Director.

Hasnt his wife just died?

Associate
Canada had less support series so they can be more flexible when it comes to race times.

Again it already is an all day thing, yes the supports go before the F1. Then you have all the track inspections, all the grid walking and theatre that comes with it.

Also what if the grand prix gets delayed? There is a 2 hour cap. So the later you go the later you could potentially knock everything back. Before you know it everything would be finishing into the evening.

Man of Honour
For those of us that work in F1 that sounds like torture. In June Canada/Baku , Austria/Silverstone I spent 5 nights at home in just over a month. Going forward in October and November that number will be smaller. Some of us have famalies you know :p

Been there, done that... Spent 3 years supporting F1, Indy, WEC, ALMS and WRC at the same time... What family time? ;) :D

They could move them around a bit so you don't go from Canada to Baku on consecutive weekends... That would be a a bit of travel shock there.

Hasnt his wife just died?

Earlier this year iirc, however, Sergio Marchionne has been looking at changing the senior staff. Seems that James is just the first. I believe that Maurizio Arrivabene is also in the firing line.

Soldato

I didn't read it at as being fired, more a (for once) genuine case of needing to spend more time with his family, specifically his children, after his wife's death.

Soldato
Earlier this year iirc, however, Sergio Marchionne has been looking at changing the senior staff. Seems that James is just the first. I believe that Maurizio Arrivabene is also in the firing line.

I didn't read it at as being fired, more a (for once) genuine case of needing to spend more time with his family, specifically his children, after his wife's death.

I think it was family oriented, but Ferrari are spinning it as part of some re-structure hence the "mutual consent" part.

smr

smr

Soldato
I don't understand why people want Rosberg to have retirements during the race. Do you tune in to watch one car cruising around with his engine down, on his own 30-60 seconds up the road for a Grand Prix? Doesn't sound like fun to me.

Back
Top Bottom