Network storage - with Virgin media?

Associate
Looking to set up a NAS or some kind of drive (4tB or 6tb, sort of) that everyone can access in the house

Ideally I'd like to connect it directly to the virgin media box
I want to put all my movies/tv shows/etc on it so everyone in the house can always access it on demand

Anyone got brand recommendations for this

Man of Honour
QNAP or Synology.

I've used both, Synology arguably has a nicer interface, but you tend to get more hardware for your money with QNAP.

For a normal home user, you can't go far wrong with Synology.

Associate
OP
QNAP or Synology.

I've used both, Synology arguably has a nicer interface, but you tend to get more hardware for your money with QNAP.

For a normal home user, you can't go far wrong with Synology.

Thanks, is nothing from the traditional brands I. E Western Digital really appropriate for this purpose

Man of Honour
Well you could get a single drive such as a MyCloud device but a dedicated NAS such as those from offer from Synology and QNAP will be better. You then put x amount of the same NAS drives in depending on the number of bays, such as a WD Red NAS drive.

Associate
OP
Well you could get a single drive such as a MyCloud device but a dedicated NAS such as those from offer from Synology and QNAP will be better. You then put x amount of the same NAS drives in depending on the number of bays, such as a WD Red NAS drive.

Thanks mate maybe soon I can go sata cable free aha

Associate
OP
SATA cable for what? The NAS uses a CAt5e/6 to plug into your router.

I meant no sata cables going across my lovely computer case!!

I can't wait for a 1tB m.2

Only issue is this:

I have 1x 2 TB and 1x 4 TB Caviar Black, I don't have space to back them up...how can I go about keeping the data?
I can't afford to redownload my entire steam library which is 1tB, music is almost that much too, etc etc

Man of Honour
1TB m2 has been out for a while?

Are you not buying new disks? You really should be running NAS specific disks rather than regular ones.

Associate
OP
Associate
I used to be a fan of QNAP but lately some of their more useful third party media grabbing software packages have been having issues running. So Another vote for synology from me. If you want to share media for the family look at Plex, just make sure your synology has enough CPU grunt to do any transcoding required.

Man of Honour
I used to be a fan of QNAP but lately some of their more useful third party media grabbing software packages have been having issues running. So Another vote for synology from me. If you want to share media for the family look at Plex, just make sure your synology has enough CPU grunt to do any transcoding required.

What's not running? NZBGet, Sickbeard and CP running perfectly here.

Generally you get more CPU horsepower for your money with QNAP.

Associate
I had some big issues with sickbeard, Qnap currently seem to lack a proper up to date python intallation unless your willing to tinker. Can do without faffing on with SSH in terminal. Although I agree you get more hardware for your money with qnap, synology seem to currently be better polished in software. I have resorted to running all but Plex in a VM on my Qnap

Man of Honour
My bad, I don't use SB anymore, I use Sonarr and it's miles better. You should make the switch.

Agreed that Synology is the more polished product.

Back
Top Bottom