Network help - setting up a server

Associate
I have been busy, wiring up a home network and also trying to get my wireless to be the best it can be - all is finally going well but now I would like to hold all my media (films that are converted from the originals I own and also music converted from the originals) on a server so I can access it all on multiple devices.

I have a couple of micro servers with all the above files on - yes I am a bit paranoid about losing these files after all the effort it took to convert them all.

So I have a few questions:

* The microservers have windows 2008 server installed on them, how or what do I need to do to secure these, as they will be left on 24 hours a day, All of our photos of kids etc are backed upto these so I wouldn't want people to access these not on out network.

* I have installed plex on all of the nowtv devices so I need them to be able to see the server as well.

* Finally my daughter has an IPAD how do I upload all her music to ITUNES so she can listen to it wherever she is? (I admit I am a PC user and I haven't got a clue when it comes to macs).

Matt

Soldato
1. Are the servers accessible on the internet via Remote Desktop Connection or any other services? If not, they should be only accessible on your internal network; but this also means anyone that has access to your LAN ports or WiFi can see the server and possibly the files?

1.b Even though you have a couple of servers, if they are still in your home, they are at risk of fire, flood, solar flares, zombie infestation, so you may need an offsite strategy as well.

2. No idea

3. Don't you load music onto the device itself? Otherwise she'll need a data connection to listen to stuff? It's drag and drop via USB:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4998231?tstart=0

Associate
2) Install plex media server on your file server

If you're paranoid about losing data, then invest in a backup solution, either locally or over the internet ("cloud"). Something like Crashplan.

Soldato
* The microservers have windows 2008 server installed on them, how or what do I need to do to secure these, as they will be left on 24 hours a day, All of our photos of kids etc are backed upto these so I wouldn't want people to access these not on out network.

Presumably you have a router after your modem. These perform NAT which blocks incoming connections (from the internet) unless you open ports. I.e. you don't need to worry about attacks from outside your LAN unless your hardware is faulty/exploited. As for inside your LAN, you hopefully trust all the devices.

Still, regular security is a good idea - a firewall and good user credentials/permissions. Strong passwords. That kind of thing.

Back
Top Bottom