Robert Kubica has suffered "serious injuries"

Man of Honour
A quote from Dr. Rossello - emphasis is my own.

The situation of the hand was clearly serious, it was nearly amputated and we’ve reconstructed completely, first recomponing the fracture and then working on muscles and nervous tissue. The operation has been successful, i don’t want to say too much but we’re quite confident. Kubica should get back the total functionality of the hand for his vital functions and maybe his driving profession. However, it will need some time, perhaps a whole year of rehabilitation. By the way, everything’s been good.”

Hxc

Hxc

Soldato
Glad to hear it sounds like a success.

Howeverr... anyone think with Bahar being involved and well, being a crazy man, he's gonna offer Kimi big money?

Caporegime
Glad to hear it sounds like a success.

Howeverr... anyone think with Bahar being involved and well, being a crazy man, he's gonna offer Kimi big money?

I assume it would also mean buying him out of his WRC contract with Citroen, so could work out very very expensive.

Someone floating is likely the best bet. Heidfeld should be top of their list.

Man of Honour
People keep posting this - of course the monocoque of the F1 car was relatively undamaged. The armco/engine entered the cockpit of the rally car :( - the picture is horrific. Hope we get some good news soon.

Not seen this image before though.

350348059.jpg

Soldato
Light concussion and a sprained ankle vs. partially severed hand, arm and leg broken in multiple places.
Not really that much of a comparison.

*edit - strange, posted the reply with no text...

Obviously it's not meant to be a comparison but a hint of optimism :)
The media got into a frenzy after Massa's accident - again v. serious but he bounced back.

Just seen on the 10:30 news surgeons think he'll have full use of his hand even though it will take up to a year.

He's a nice guy and I wish him well.

Soldato
Wish him well, :(

That picture is pretty shocking Flibster.

Even thought the speeds in F1 are higher, I really do hold Rally drivers in a higher "Must be insane" bracket when it comes to danger. The amount of things that they can hit which won't move or the insane drops they can end up tumbling down is scary at times.

Man of Honour
Statement from Renault

Robert Kubica underwent a seven-hour operation at the Santa Corona Hospital in Pietra Ligure this afternoon. The Lotus Renault GP driver had been diagnosed with multiple fractures to his right arm and leg following a high-speed accident at the Ronda de Andora rally this morning. He also suffered severe cuts to his forearm, which could have an impact on his right hand mobility.

Doctors are reasonably satisfied with the way the operation went. Tonight, Robert’s condition remains stable but serious. He has been placed into an induced coma and could be woken up in the morning.

Professor Mario Igor Rossello, Director for the Regional Centre of Hand Surgery at San Paolo Hospital in Savona:

It has been a very important and difficult operation. Robert Kubica’s right forearm was cut in two places, with significant lesions to the bones and the tendons. We did our best to rebuild the functions of the forearm. It took seven doctors, split into two teams and a total of seven hours to complete the operation. One team was the emergency task force from the hospital of San Paolo (Savona) that is normally appointed to treat this sort of injury, while the other team came from the orthopaedic department of the Santa Corona Hospital (Pietra Ligure). At the end of the operation, Robert’s hand was well vascularised and warm, which is encouraging. Following the surgery, Robert Kubica will remain under permanent monitoring overnight because his condition remains serious.

Eric Boullier, Team Principal and Managing Director of Lotus Renault GP:

The news of Robert’s accident came as a real shock to the whole team. All of us, at Lotus Renault GP, wish him a quick recovery. We have been really impressed with the way the doctors looked after him today and we would like to thank the whole team of the Santa Corona Hospital for their professional approach and dedication. I will be travelling to Italy tomorrow, along with Vitaly Petrov, in order to see Robert and tell him that we are impatiently waiting for his return.

Another update will be made tomorrow morning at 9h30, at the hospital, by Professor Rossello and Daniel Morelli, Robert’s manager.

Caporegime
doesnt sound like he is going to be racing anytime soon then i wonder who renault will replace him with because surely they wont have senna and petrov to inexperienced drivers.

Back
Top Bottom