Police Taser their own race relations adviser in Bristol

Soldato
Seems obvious he was resisting arrest, what did he expect? Why is this even a news story? Just another attempt at racial divide by the media I guess

Associate
It'll probably be seen as very one sided and that the police are in the wrong, much like the news article is written, but for someone who is meant to be a race relations advisor and work with the police, he doesn't look very willing to help and work with them. If he had done nothing wrong then why is he being so difficult. In the same situation (white, English) I would have told the police my name and been compliant. He seemed like the usual view depicted of black/Asian groups where if the police communicate with them in any way they are being racist.

Man of Honour
Mixed feelings about this - he could have been more cooperative and he had plenty of opportunity to show ID or similar, or offer to show it at a later time. But then arresting someone for not giving their name seems ridiculous in principle to me and I don't think he should be obliged to give up his name on the spot either. Police should be sure they have the right person. Then again I am a self-admitted authority hater :p

ajf

ajf

Soldato
Saw this too and didn't think he was helping himself.
However, it did seem the policewoman used the Taser unnessecarily. He wasn't being violent as such or lashing out, just trying to get away.
From what is normally shown on reality 'cop' shows it usually steps up a gear before they actually discharge a Taser.*

* Obviously shows may be edited.

Sgarrista
Commissario
Seems obvious he was resisting arrest, what did he expect? Why is this even a news story? Just another attempt at racial divide by the media I guess

Exactly this.

They told him at the beginning they thought he matched the profile of a wanted person, so why does he have to be so difficult and refuse to co-operate?

He brought it on himself, stupid idiot.

Caporegime
Mixed feelings about this - he could have been more cooperative and he had plenty of opportunity to show ID or similar, or offer to show it at a later time. But then arresting someone for not giving their name seems ridiculous in principle to me and I don't think he should be obliged to give up his name on the spot either. Police should be sure they have the right person. Then again I am a self-admitted authority hater :p

And how exactly can they be sure they have the right person? Psychic powers?

Man of Honour
And how exactly can they be sure they have the right person? Psychic powers?

Investigating and doing police work I would suggest. They could have just followed him tbh and found out where he lived... which appears to be right where he was tasered...?

I would give my name because ultimately when the police can be so... Policey... it pays to comply rather than use it as excuse to exercise intellectual arguments or points of principle.

Last edited:
Soldato
Investigating and doing police work I would suggest. They could have just followed him tbh and found out where he lived... which appears to be right where he was tasered...?

They were investigating, they were attempting to question a suspect who decided to be uncooperative and resist arrest. Instead he could have gone in, answered a few questions and most likely been home an hour or 2 later.

Soldato
There's a longer version of the video here:
https://uk.news.yahoo.com/police-in...r-125840443.html?soc_src=social-sh&soc_trk=fb

Difficult to properly comment when even the video above only shows part of the interaction between the man and police (i.e. what caused the Taser to be drawn?) but the option to de-escalate and calm things down was there. The actual use of Taser didn't seem proportionate to the threat at that moment; they'd pushed him back and despite his resistance there are other methods available for containing that, even a red dot and verbal escalation if necessary. It'll be interesting to see how this one pans out.

Also not sure why the headline is "their own race relations advisor", he doesn't work for the police.

Caporegime

I would give my name because ultimately when the police can be so... Policey... it pays to comply rather than use it as excuse to exercise intellectual arguments or points of principle.

And they did investigate and he seemingly fit the description of the man they were after.

I could be at a friends place and insist it's mine when it's not thereby using it in an attempt to foil my arrest.

It's dead easy - if a police officer asks you a question don't act like a *****. That way you don't look guilty and don't end up annoying said police officer and getting tasered through the mistaken belief that you're wanted and trying to escape.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom