Build: PC IN A Desk -Liquid Duo

Associate
Pic.jpg

I have written this in order to hear people's thoughts on the build and ideas of what I can do next when I have some money again :)

1. Background
All through my childhood and Working Career (to date), I’ve had a fascination with computers. I have built a few budget machines in my time but never with any real funding behind me which has always limited me to fan cooling or all in one water kit as well as standard cases.
In other words, I have never created a custom PC before.

2. Skills
• Woodworking-None
• Water-cooling loops- None not even soft tubing let alone hard
• PC Hardware- Moderate

3. The Idea
The fundamental idea of this project was to end up with a PC inside a desk where I could see the workings.
After much thought and research I decided on the following criteria:
• 2 PC’s built into a desk. 1 for me 1 for my wife
• Both PC’s would be used as gaming\work machines
• Custom liquid Cooled Loops
• Sound System
• Incorporate Master Chief head

4. The Start
My idea was set and so I worked on a design firstly in a notebook I had and then in Sketch Up.
My sketches helped me decide how I wanted the cooling of the PC to work and what components I would need to build an over the top, water-cooling plant, as a centrepiece for the build.
Pic1.jpg

Pic2.jpg

Pic3.jpg

Pic4.png

5. The Parts
For my wife’s PC “we” decided that what she already had was adequate enough as she remotes onto her work PC’s and servers plus the only gaming she does on the PC anymore is WOW which does not have very high requirements.
I have given her the same cooling loop as myself for 2 reasons:
a. Aesthetically it will look better for the central compartment.
b. I plan to slowly upgrade her PC and so this is a bit of future proofing I felt should be installed now.
I had slightly different ideas about my own PC as I still play a lot of games and needed something with a bit of grunt for work. After having a battle with myself over performance VS Cost, I decided on a spec and ordered the parts online and finding some very useful information from the forums.overclockers.co.uk site and overclockers.co.uk staff.
For the acrylic motherboard trays, I found a very helpful man named David who I found through his website http://www.thelaserhive.com/
I will post the full list of parts in a reply below so as not to clog this already rather big post up
Pic5.jpg

6. Testing
When the parts arrived I went about testing them and found everything to be spot on although I did realise I needed some extra water-cooling fittings which I had not planned for due to adding a separate drain and fill port.
Pic6.jpg

Pic7.jpg

7. Desk Build
When the parts were tested, I took some measurements of all the components put together in order to confirm my Sketch up design measurements and started looking for quotes from UK carpenters.
I thought about building the desk myself, however, I can’t cut a straight line into a block of wood and so decided I wanted it done right and to last. Therefore I sought assistance from people who know what they are doing.
I eventually chose a company called http://andrewmanning.co.uk/. Who had 3 things which I was looking for out of a contractor to build the desk:
a. They gave me a quote I was happy with
b. They were local to me
c. They actually grasped the concept of what I was trying to achieve
Andrew Manning and the team also came up with some additions to the desk which I had not planned in my original designs but really liked the idea of the main one being the extra draw for each side of the desk as well as ways to make the desk more accessible for maintenance e.g. the wood top being removable at the back to allow easy access to the cables as the desk is far too large to move when built.
After a very short amount of time (which felt like years) I was informed the frame was built and was asked to visit the shop in order to do some final measurements with some of the PC components, e.g. motherboard, etc.
Pic8.jpg

Pic9.jpg

Pic10.jpg

Pic11.jpg

Pic12.jpg

Pic13.jpg

Pic14.jpg

Just a couple of weeks later they brought the desk to my house and installed it into my home office along with the glass required for the top of the desk and a matching shelf along one wall.
Pic15.jpg

Pic16.jpg

8. Installing
The rest was down to me and so I slogged away for 4 weeks installing the 2 PC components and all the additional parts to the desk.
Please bear in mind when looking at the pictures that this is my very first attempt at creating custom water cooling loops as well as my first time bending tubes. I have 1 or 2 tubes I will be redoing when I get some time.
Pic17.jpg

Pic18.jpg

Pic19.jpg

Pic20.jpg

Pic21.jpg

Pic22.jpg

Pic23.jpg

Pic24.jpg

Pic25.jpg

Pic26.jpg

Pic27.jpg

Pic28.jpg

9. Red Liquid or Green
My original plan and what I stuck with for the first couple of months was the X1 - UV Red, however, I felt it didn’t give the desk the “pop” was after and so I recently changed it to the UV Green and feel a lot a happier with the results.

10. End Result
The finished desk is almost exactly how I envisioned it. Yes, it needs some tidying up which I hope will come with time and patience, however, overall I feel I have achieved what I set out to do.
I especially love the two LED systems which are installed. The NZXT Hue+ system is great fun to play with and gives the components of the desk a real wow factor. The Philips Hue LED strip along the back of the desk is linked to the room’s ceiling spot lights and the colour set-ups can be controlled though my watch or phone.
The best feature of the desk though has to be the usability of it. It does everything I wanted and more. It looks great in my office and I have learnt new skills, like building the custom water-cooled loops, although I still have a lot to learn.
Pic29_(1).jpg

Pic29_(2).jpg

Pic29_(3).jpg

Pic29_(4).jpg

Pic29_(6).jpg

Pic29_(7).jpg

Pic29_(8).jpg

Pic29_(9).jpg

11. Future Plans
In the near future, I will be upgrading my components and passing on my current build into my wife’s PC.
Recently I have had a thought of extending the hard-line tubes around the inside perimeter of the desk however I am still playing with this one.
Custom sleeved cables will be added once I have settled on the colour scheme. This will be when I take the cable management a bit more seriously.
Devise a way to make the fabric sheets at the back of the desk neater.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Below is the parts list as mentioned in the original post

Radiator 2 EK Water Blocks EK-CoolStream PE 480 (Quad)
Fans Radiator 4 Corsair Fan, SP120 PWM Low Noise High Pressure Fan 4 pin, Dual Pack (CO-9050012-WW)
Air 3 Corsair Air Series AF120 1500RPM LED Red Quiet Edition - Dual Pack (CO-9050016-RLED)
Pump 2 EK-XTOP Revo D5 PWM - Plexi (incl. pump)
Resevouir 4 Bitspower Z-Multi 250mm Water Tank
Tubeing Hard 4 Bitspower Crystal Link Tube 1210mm, Length 1000mm - Clear
Soft 4 Mayhems Ultra Clear Watercooling Tubing (38 - 58) 10/16mm
Connectors Hard Tube Connectors 48 EK Water Blocks EK-HDC Fitting 12mm G1/4 - Nickel
Soft Tube Connectors 8 EK Water Blocks EK-ACF Fitting 10/16mm - Nickel
T Piece 8 £9.99 x 8 - Bitspower Rotary Fitting "T" - 180 Degree Water Cooling Accessory - shiny silver
Taps 4 £14.15 x 4 - Bitspower Mini-Valve - Matt Black
Corner 8 Bitspower Multi-Link Adapter 90 Degrees - Carbon Black
Extra Corners 8 Bitspower Multi-Link Adapter 90 Degrees - Carbon Black
Processor Block 1 Watercool Heatkiller IV Basic Intel - Acryl Clean
Processor Block 1 EK Water Blocks EK-Supremacy EVO - Nickel
Coolant Pure H20 2 Mayhems Ultra Pure H2O 5Ltr
Red 2 X1 - UV Red Concentrate 250ml
Green 5 XSPC XS-EC6-GRN Non Conductive Coolant - UV Green
Biocide 1 Mayhems Biocide Extreme
Colour 3 Mayhems X1 - UV Red Concentrate 250ml
Lighting 3 Twin 3mm LED Wire (White)
cleaning 1 Mayhems Blitz Basic Cleaning System
CPU 1 Intel Core i5-6600K 3.9GHz (Skylake) Socket LGA1151 Processor - Retail
Mother Board 1 Asus Maximus VIII Ranger Intel Z170 (Socket 1151) DDR4 ATX Motherboard
PSU 1 Corsair RM Series RM750X '80+ Gold' 750W Modular Power Supply (CP-9020092-UK)
Ram 1 Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 PC4-21300C16 2666MHz Dual Channel Kit - Black (CMK16GX4M2A2666C16)
Graphics Card 1 OcUK Tech Labs H2O Custom GeForce GTX 970 OC STRIX 4096MB Watercooling Graphics Card
SSD Operating System 1 Crucial MX200 500GB 2.5" SSD SATA 6Gbps 7mm Solid State Drive (CT500MX200SSD1)
HDD Download 1 1TB
HDD Backup 1 2TB
Motherboard tray 1 Clear Perspex Motherboard Tray- David Chugg- The Lazer Hive
Hard disk rack 1 Silverstone HDD Expansion Kit - Black (SST-CFP52B)
Front usb ports 1 IcyBox 3.5" Front Adapter With 4 x USB 3.0 Ports (IB-866)
CD Drive 1
CPU 1 Intel Core i5 760
Mother Board 1 Asus
PSU 1 Corsair RM Series RM750X '80+ Gold' 750W Modular Power Supply (CP-9020092-UK)
Ram 1 4gb
Graphics Card 1 AMD Radeon 5700 HD
SSD Operating System 1 150GB Crucial M550
HDD Other 1 1TB
Motherboard tray 1 Clear Perspex Motherboard Tray- David Chugg- The Lazer Hive
Hard disk rack 1 Silverstone HDD Expansion Kit - Black (SST-CFP52B)
Front usb ports 1 IcyBox 3.5" Front Adapter With 4 x USB 3.0 Ports (IB-866)
CD Drive 1
Keyboards 2 Logitech G15
Mice 2 Logitech G502
Chris Screen 1 1 Samsung LS29E790C
Chris Screen 2 1 PROLITE E2483HS
Jem Screens 2 iiyama prolite e2271hds
sound bar 1 Razer Leviathan Dolby Pro Logic 5.1 Channel Gaming Sound Bar
Apple Watch Stand 1 Orzly® Night-Stand for Apple Watch - BLACK
Phone docks 2 Twelve South HiRise Charging Dock
nas 1 Synology DiskStation DS216J 2-Bay Desktop NAS Enclosure
Home Phone 1 Panasonic KX-TG8061EB
Tube Bending Kit 1 Monsoon Hardline Pro Bender Kit 3/8 x 1/2 (13mm)
Alphacool HardTube Heat Gun Pro 2000W UK Plug
Alphacool Silicon Bending Insert 100cm for ID 3/8" / 10mm
2 Phobya PWM 4x 4Pin Splitter and 2 28082 Cable - Choice: 4 pin PWM Cable 60cm / 24"
2 ModMyToys 8-Pin Distribution PCB - 3-Way
Bt router 1 N/A
Screen bracket 1 Duronic DM352 Double Twin LCD LED Desk Mount
Controller 1 XBOX One Controller
On/off switch 2 DimasTech Push Button Switch (16mm) Momentary Action - Red LED
Lights Led strips and Lighting Controller 1 NZXT Hue+ RGB Colour Changing Internal LED Controller
Led strips 1 NZXT Hue+ Lighting Extension Kit
Led strips 1 Phillips Hue Light Strip
Lighting Controller and Bulbs 1 Philips Hue White and Colour Ambiance Wireless Lighting LED Starter Kit

Associate
You have built almost exactly what I am currently wanting to achieve. Love it.

Just planning mine at the moment. Hadn't allowed for building the computers into the desk with fancy water cooling.. This is mainly due to budget as I was planning on upgrading monitors... etc.

The other difference would be that I was looking at wall mounting the screens. 2 computers total. Its a solid wall behind my spot.

Ironic you posted this on the day I start putting together my ideas from last month :D

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Thanks for the positive comment and good Luck with your build and can't wait to see it on the forums when it is completed.

Originally I planned to put the screens on the wall but due to the construction of my walls, I am unable to do this without some serious equipment to drill into them, so Will probably end up mounting them when I can afford to upgrade the wife's screens.

Soldato
Looks real nice, i agree the green looks better in my opinion. Did you think of maybe trying two different colours since your using two loops? Maybe your wifes fav colour her side and yours at your side.

Do you two game together?, i remember about 15 years ago i only knew two couples that game together, was pretty rare. Nowadays loads of couples seem to do it, i even have a few friends that met in games online and are now married.

Associate
OP
Thanks for the feedback BluD.

When I swapped out the red for the green I ran my loop for 2 days and found that the centre part of the desk was "Grinding my Gears" so quickly swapped the wife's to green as well. I do like the idea of two different colours so am currently playing about with the light settings to see if this is a good way to sort it. This is one of the great things about the lighting system as it is very customisable and allows me to make changes to the look and feel of the desk with some simple clicks of the mouse.

Yes, the wife and I do game together and have been since we first met at university 11 years ago. I am finding more and more that we end up playing a single player game and taking it in turns due to the lack of decent two player co-op's which are about :(

Soldato
Looks incredible mate, well done. I think you did the right thing in getting the desk made professionally, much less stress and you know everythings straight lol.

Enjoy!

Associate
OP
Thanks Hardcore.

I did try and make the stand for the reservoirs but couldn't even cut two even bits of wood for that. I really don't have any wood working skills lol

Soldato
Looks really, really good. The desk looks sublime, very nice workmanship.

If you don't mind me asking what sort of ballpark are you looking at cost wise for a desk like that? Currently putting plans together for what needs to be done to the house this year and would help budget wise as I was after something very similar myself.

Thanks

Associate
OP
Hi GinG,
I wrote down all the costings as I went in a google sheet and have pasted the final totals below.

WaterCooling £1,277.19
My PC £978.27
Wife Pc £184.14
Peripherals £1,165.52
Desk (including glass and a very long floating shelf of the same material) £1,600
TOTAL!!!!! £5,205.12

As you can see it was not the cheapest build in the world hence why I couldn't go overboard with the new components for my PC :( however, it was, in my opinion very much worth it, and should last a very long time thanks to the good workmanship on the desk itself.
These totals do also include things like the home phone, stands for watch and phones etc so if you can reuse any components from your current build then I would def recommend it as I did with the wife's PC, although I do hope to upgrade hers soon.

Associate
OP
Hi Simon, Yes, I have very large rectangular holes for the rads with black plastic grates on the outside to cover them up.

I did think about installing the rads flush with the wood of the desk but the way I have it set up means that everything in the central unit is bolted to a wooden board so I can lift the whole assembly out if required.

Soldato
Hi GinG,
I wrote down all the costings as I went in a google sheet and have pasted the final totals below.

WaterCooling £1,277.19
My PC £978.27
Wife Pc £184.14
Peripherals £1,165.52
Desk (including glass and a very long floating shelf of the same material) £1,600
TOTAL!!!!! £5,205.12

As you can see it was not the cheapest build in the world hence why I couldn't go overboard with the new components for my PC :( however, it was, in my opinion very much worth it, and should last a very long time thanks to the good workmanship on the desk itself.
These totals do also include things like the home phone, stands for watch and phones etc so if you can reuse any components from your current build then I would def recommend it as I did with the wife's PC, although I do hope to upgrade hers soon.

Thanks for the breakdown, very useful.

Now enjoy it!

Associate
Amazing build.

I'm really interested in the Green UV dye, can you tell me how you achieved it as I read somewhere UV can be poor depending on the lights, I'm looking for similar green.

Thanks

Back
Top Bottom