Laptop with 2 or 3 display port outs

Soldato
As title, recently moved to a laptop main rig setup, my Asus Rog G751JY is pretty darn good :o however i was shocked to discover the HDMI out only supports upto 1080p :eek: :rolleyes: - rediculous IMO, so Im currently rocking my main 'colour accurate' monitor off the display port and a 1080p monitor on the HDMI, ideally I want to also use my 40" 4k screen but a laptop would need 2x display port outs - any laptops available to do that around the £1400 mark ?

Soldato
even if the msi is only hdmi 1.4, you usually find you can specify a custom resolution and EDID and drive a monitor at at higher resolution, but may need to reduce refresh rate if you hit max frequency of hdmi pixel clock.

AORUS Rep
Vendor Rep
As title, recently moved to a laptop main rig setup, my Asus Rog G751JY is pretty darn good :o however i was shocked to discover the HDMI out only supports upto 1080p :eek: :rolleyes: - rediculous IMO, so Im currently rocking my main 'colour accurate' monitor off the display port and a 1080p monitor on the HDMI, ideally I want to also use my 40" 4k screen but a laptop would need 2x display port outs - any laptops available to do that around the £1400 mark ?

Hi Combat squirrel,,,,

May be worth consideration as we have just given the last unit of this product to OcUK at a decent discount and it will arrive with them on Monday - so if you want it, place pre-order now to secure it:

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/aoru...-intel-i7-6700hq-gaming-laptop-lt-026-au.html

Sold @ £2,099, and although was discounted down from that level, it never got close to £1,799.

Appreciate that is above your target price, but gives you a 4K panel, and mini DP and also HDMI 2.0, benefits being:

"HDMI 2.0 – True 4K Ultra HD

The incorporation of HDMI 2.0 brings screen resolution to the next level. Unlike HDMI 1.4 which only supports 8-bit colour up to 30 frames per second, HDMI 2.0 display is truly breath-taking. Supporting up to 18 Gbps transfer, the true potential of 4K resolution is realized through 12-bit colour and up to 60Hz refresh rate! See videos, photos, and games how they were meant to be seen, in true high definition!"

Full product overview here: http://www.aorus.com/Product/Features/X5S v5

If you are interested let us know...

Regards,

Team AORUS

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Hi Combat squirrel,,,,

May be worth consideration as we have just given the last unit of this product to OcUK at a decent discount and it will arrive with them on Monday - so if you want it, place pre-order now to secure it:

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/aoru...-intel-i7-6700hq-gaming-laptop-lt-026-au.html

Sold @ £2,099, and although was discounted down from that level, it never got close to £1,799.

Appreciate that is above your target price, but gives you a 4K panel, and mini DP and also HDMI 2.0, benefits being:

"HDMI 2.0 – True 4K Ultra HD

The incorporation of HDMI 2.0 brings screen resolution to the next level. Unlike HDMI 1.4 which only supports 8-bit colour up to 30 frames per second, HDMI 2.0 display is truly breath-taking. Supporting up to 18 Gbps transfer, the true potential of 4K resolution is realized through 12-bit colour and up to 60Hz refresh rate! See videos, photos, and games how they were meant to be seen, in true high definition!"

Full product overview here: http://www.aorus.com/Product/Features/X5S v5

If you are interested let us know...

Regards,

Team AORUS

Thanks, interesting, question, can the laptop run the main screen at 4k and both the display port and HDMI 2.0 at 4k all at once ?

Soldato
so does the aorus come with hdcp 2.2 too , for 4K media throughput ? the headline information on the spec did not seem to say

AORUS Rep
Vendor Rep
Thanks, interesting, question, can the laptop run the main screen at 4k and both the display port and HDMI 2.0 at 4k all at once ?

so does the aorus come with hdcp 2.2 too , for 4K media throughput ? the headline information on the spec did not seem to say

HI Folks,

Delighted to inform that the answer to both your questions is "YES"

:D

Regards,

Team AORUS

Soldato
OP
A MacBook Pro will let you run 4 displays - one off each thunderbolt port, but you lose one if you want to charge at the same time (or you need a dongle).

Oh yeah the new ones will - but I want a good laptop for godsake :p :D

Mainly I want BEEFY graphics - not some mid-low range thing from AMD costing £1000 for £100 of graphics chip

EDIT: Just looked at the price, HAHAHAHA THEY WANT £3000 for the base 15" with 460 'pro', the 980m even totally mutilates it

Last edited:
AORUS Rep
Vendor Rep
OHHH REALLY :eek: :D

You would be the only laptop on the market I am aware of that will do this then ! :eek: I've researched endless laptops.

SO to confirm ! it can do 3x 4k at once (laptop, DP, HDMI 2.0)

Hi Combat squirrel,

We are "double confirming" for you sir - we actually were replying in relation to the HDMI and Screen, so slightly mis-read your question - we will receive reply overnight and come back to you.....

Regards,

Gigabyte UK NB Team

Soldato
OP
You're welcome.

OK, so technical team have confirmed, output from dp is also capable of 4K...

:eek::eek::eek::eek:

WE will also be suggesting this feature is highlighted in marketing materials.

Thanks and hope that helps,

Regards,

Team AORUS

Thanks! You say output is also capable of 4k from the DP (I assume you mean in addition to the built in screen), BUT can I also IN ADDITION TO THOSE PAIR OF SCREENS, output 4k to HDMI ALSO ? :)

And if not what are the absolute maximum resolutions and refresh rates the system can drive all at the same time? built in+DP+HDMI 2.0

Apologies to ask again the answer was a little vague :eek: :D

Also I only ask as the i7-6700HQ can only output on hdmi 1.4 24hz 4k, so this must mean your hdmi 2.0 is hooked up to the 980m - does the intel chip drive the display out or are ALL the outputs connected to the 980m (But im assuming if intel drives the DP, the 3d is done by 980m and passed through ?)

(Poor guy is working for his money today! haha)

Last edited:
AORUS Rep
Vendor Rep
Thanks! You say output is also capable of 4k from the DP (I assume you mean in addition to the built in screen), BUT can I also IN ADDITION TO THOSE PAIR OF SCREENS, output 4k to HDMI ALSO ? :)

And if not what are the absolute maximum resolutions and refresh rates the system can drive all at the same time? built in+DP+HDMI 2.0

Apologies to ask again the answer was a little vague :eek: :D

Also I only ask as the i7-6700HQ can only output on hdmi 1.4 24hz 4k, so this must mean your hdmi 2.0 is hooked up to the 980m - does the intel chip drive the display out or are ALL the outputs connected to the 980m (But im assuming if intel drives the DP, the 3d is done by 980m and passed through ?)

(Poor guy is working for his money today! haha)

Hi Combat squirrel,

OK, we talked in depth to technical team.

Because the X5S is tied to the Intel Optimus structure, we installed a "MEGA CHIP" this therefore transforms the signal into HDMI 2.0 protocol and will give you true 4K output.

You can also output @ 4K on the mini DP @ 60Hz

You will also still have 4K @ 60Hz on the laptop screen.

On our X5 and X7 (V6 models and onwards) - with GTX10 series GPU, have the new Pascal architecture which supports 4K output to DP and HDMI 2.0 @ 60Hz - so no MEGA CHIP is needed to achieve the same results, because we output directly from the GPU (ie not Optimus) (FYI).

Hope that's clear.

Regards,

Team AORUS

Soldato
OP
Hi Combat squirrel,

OK, we talked in depth to technical team.

Because the X5S is tied to the Intel Optimus structure, we installed a "MEGA CHIP" this therefore transforms the signal into HDMI 2.0 protocol and will give you true 4K output.

You can also output @ 4K on the mini DP @ 60Hz

You will also still have 4K @ 60Hz on the laptop screen.

On our X5 and X7 (V6 models and onwards) - with GTX10 series GPU, have the new Pascal architecture which supports 4K output to DP and HDMI 2.0 @ 60Hz - so no MEGA CHIP is needed to achieve the same results, because we output directly from the GPU (ie not Optimus) (FYI).

Hope that's clear.

Regards,

Team AORUS

Indeed! Thank you! :) Sorry for the run around :D I guess im a very specific user but appreciate the teams attention to detail!

Back
Top Bottom