Kaby Lake Worth It?

Soldato
As per MISJAH's response.

Windows 10 is pretty good, especially since the Anniversary update.

Regarding Kaby Lake, I'm not that impressed. Performance difference VS the 6 series is minimal and the chip actually runs hotter in most benchmarks I've seen. That said you could probably get a good deal on a 6 series if you don't have one already because its now considered last generation.

Soldato
There seem very few data-points to confirm the degree to which windows 7 will not work,
just one ref in another OC thread from a journalist saying system was unstable ?
but getting Kaby Lake for the htpc 4K media - netflix, blu-ray capability is more of an attraction.

Soldato
yeah 6 series to 7 series CPU jump is a really minimal change to performance so you should really just buy the laptop that you like the features or OS of the most.

The latest macbooks feel very fast, fine for most uses. The main weakness is price and gaming performance.

Art

Art

Associate
There seem very few data-points to confirm the degree to which windows 7 will not work,

I've seen a couple of articles where people have tried installing Win7 on a Kaby laptop. The main issue seems to be that Windows won't find Kaby drivers so it just installs a generic driver for the Intel graphics. Allegedly some people have managed to manually install Skylake drivers which appear to have worked OK, but they didn't test them for that long so who knows what kind of edge case bugs are in there.

Back
Top Bottom