Project Smurf 3.0

Soldato
OP
So progress is still happening whilst busy with life in general, much of the pipe has now been bonded together bar one section and one which was the only one to **** up... I say I was to blame but this stuff is not forgiving and you have a working window of about 5 seconds before its never coming apart again.

I might remove them all and clean again while testing with the Dr. Drop (yes I ordered it...) but some polished and bonded sections. Let me just say this stuff bonds incredibly strong, once its bonded you can't twist/move it within about 5 seconds at all. 10 seconds you can't prize it apart even with tools. Some snaps of the finished sections, mostly they've gone well:

IMG_2170_zpsuz88lqg0.jpg

IMG_2172_zpswdfuatob.jpg

IMG_2173_zpsnkspdbdx.jpg

IMG_2174_zpscxrbdj9m.jpg

Section om the right is one which I didnt succeed with, basically it bonded so fast I didnt full turn the 45 degree the right direction. Thus rendering that part useless... Also have no more 45s so either order more or i'll be remaking in 90 elbows later so the bit on the 480mm is not polished.

IMG_2175_zpsjm3rl1fp.jpg

Rear of the case almost completed...
IMG_2214_zpsuvzjrhf6.jpg

Properly mounted the pump this time at 8 points, mounting much more solidly with some extra padding. In order to mount like that I have it mounted a little narrow so it bows out causing it to be much more rigid...

IMG_2213_zps1u5airvc.jpg

And thats it for now, more cable and sleeving on order to do the custom cables but ahead of that i'll probably be testing it dry (no pumps obvs) just to power on and check all fans spin before its filled (cannot get to the fans cabling after its filled). Getting close now... Hope it all still works :)

Soldato
Did you ever get and measure any 15mm copper? Just that as I was randomly browsing OCUK I spotted Monsoon's new fittings and they claim to accommodate "Imperial O.D. 1/2" x 5/8" or any tube O.D. between 15.2mm and 16.2mm". If it fits, it could make sourcing tubing and bends easier or make it possible to bend it yourself.

Soldato
OP
Did you ever get and measure any 15mm copper? Just that as I was randomly browsing OCUK I spotted Monsoon's new fittings and they claim to accommodate "Imperial O.D. 1/2" x 5/8" or any tube O.D. between 15.2mm and 16.2mm". If it fits, it could make sourcing tubing and bends easier or make it possible to bend it yourself.

I saw the same with the 5/8's, I actually had a solution for 15mm tube through using a tube expander you can easily expand the 15mm pipe 1mm at the end. I didn't order it because you need a decent one which is basically £100 or so, if you look around its called 'swaging' where you expand the end in order to minimise needing fittings joining two lengths when plumbing.

Nice fittings those though i'm tempted but in reality i'd need about 15 of them which is easily another £100 on fittings. I don't think they'd take the pipe as it comes though as its 15mm bang on, variance on my 16mm was 16.05-.1 for the smaller and the annoyingly slightly larger was 16.1-15. Unless I can sell my old EK ones for £4 a pop its going to be a no...

Soldato
OP
So the coppers done and I spent forever cleaning it which included inside as best I could again with it all together... It always looks like not a lot for all the work when you lay it down which is depressing but to be fair I think I could do it again in no time now i've learnt more...

IMG_2277_zps9o8rrzjg.jpg

Cleaned, polished, washed, dried and waxed... Work much?

IMG_2279_zpsdzeyzyqe.jpg

Bunch of sleeving on order to finish off all the cables but hoping to do some testing soon before filling and leak testing to make sure the fans all work before they're sealed in for good...

Associate
Christ, I've seen CPU blocks shine less than that! Going to look awesome once the pipes & RAM have some lights reflecting off em, top work Popeye :cool:

Soldato
OP
Might as well leave these here as well... Fired it up with no loop connected to test the fans, not for long obvs but the CPU block will cool enough for idle alone. Basically once its filled I can't get to the controllers so need to be certain it all works... Turn on. Only 3 spin. Haha! 3/17 ey, quick check one of the Aquaero cables was to blame so fixed that and all worked fine other than the front where 1 internal and 2 external didn't spin... This is what I was dealing with remember - braided in pairs:

IMG_2286_zpswhfnc0lq.jpg

Pretty damn difficult to figure out which is which on the splittys but got there in the end!

IMG_2288_zpsaglflipe.jpg

All back together again - few mistakes in wiring but not bad. I also tested the airflow with the front fan filters and decided the push pull seemed to struggle with them on (top and bottom were fine) so removed them. Also removed the blue rings as they will show through the front panel, probably find a decent magnetic filter and attach it to the case directly.

IMG_2290_zps1umzzhfj.jpg

So all 17 fans firing up as they should and cables now hidden away again... I can tell you this thing shifts some SERIOUS air with them all going! Should be decent cooling the radiators once its all up and running.

Soldato
You know you can disconnect the power from everything except the Aquaero(s) and then short out two of the pins on the ATX cable to power up the PSU, right?
There's a more foolproof way of doing it with one of these

If you'd not done them already, I'd suggest braiding your fan wires in different colours so that you know which are which....but I won't suggest that AFTER you've done it; that'd be insensitive!

Soldato
OP
Yeah I have an adapter but for whatever reason it wasn't working and I couldn't be bothered to sort it so just connected the 24pin and CPU. It's not so bad as I used the three splittys for each bank of fans so New where to start at least... but all good now :)

Soldato
OP
This week, I are been mostly eatin... CABLES. If you don't know the Fast Show its lost on you ;).

More work to do making up the GPU cables this evening but some progress on finishing the build in the form of braided cables. Gone for Shade 19, Titanium and Platinum in the colour scheme.

Crap film on whilst making a mess:

IMG_2321_zpsft5irkmx.jpg

CPU done...
IMG_2320_zpspp8bgo8n.jpg

24pin Done, just need to do the bi-wired pin and connect to the PSU connectors...
IMG_2323_zps80ger4bo.jpg

Slow progress but getting slowly better at making them up. Maybe.

Associate
Sick build, one problem... your cabling. I just put all those shades in my basket to do the same style earlier then I come here and boom haha, don't think I'm copying when I do mine!

Love the pipework, great work to get it up to standard and stop the corrosion etc

Back
Top Bottom