LG 38UC99 - 37.5'' 24:10 3840x1600 75Hz IPS FreeSync Strobing Backlight

Caporegime
Correct me if I am wrong, but due to the backlight strobing on the 38UC99, this will allow 75Hz on wither AMD or Nvidia?

Yes Dan, I've ran this monitor with a 1080 and the ULMB-type mode was a pretty good experience and I was happy overall with it :)

I've since got a s/h AMD Fury and have to say that using Freesync is slightly better again (even though I've had to lower settings slightly, Freesync helps better overall).

Soldato
So come home from work and my LG 38UC99 suddenly isn't doing anything over USBC, isn't charging, isn't being detected as audio or display output. Tried different cables and nothing....

LG Support slow as always, this is a £1200 professional grade monitor for gods sake..

Not working on either my Mac or my Windows Laptop.

Last edited:
Associate
Won't be for a while yet, and LG have never done G-Sync as far as I'm aware, but perhaps Acer/Asus will take the panel and do something with it. I expect an insane price tag though. As a sidenote though, LG are working on a 144Hz version of this panel, but that won't be around for a while yet (2018 probably). If it comes without HDR, then it will perhaps feel a little dated come that time.

The future is going to be great

144hz IPS 35 to 38" 21:9 monitors with Freesync\G-sync

Soldato
So come home from work and my LG 38UC99 suddenly isn't doing anything over USBC, isn't charging, isn't being detected as audio or display output. Tried different cables and nothing....

LG Support slow as always, this is a £1200 professional grade monitor for gods sake..

Not working on either my Mac or my Windows Laptop.

so 48 hours and still no response from anyone at LG...

Soldato
had your displayport not started playing up, i would have questioned why you were bothering with LG support over a cable worth a couple of quid;just buy one from amazon. However, since the displayport has stopped working, then i'm more inclined to think the monitor is faulty and it's OCUK you should be speaking to. Well, assuming you bought it there.

edit: no wait, you already tried a different cable?? why are you bothering with LG at all, then? RMA it.

Last edited:
Soldato
had your displayport not started playing up, i would have questioned why you were bothering with LG support over a cable worth a couple of quid;just buy one from amazon. However, since the displayport has stopped working, then i'm more inclined to think the monitor is faulty and it's OCUK you should be speaking to. Well, assuming you bought it there.

edit: no wait, you already tried a different cable?? why are you bothering with LG at all, then? RMA it.

The USB-C cable I was working with originally was a power only one I found out and not a full USBC cable.

Display-port is working again now but is being a bit funny.

Associate
Just received this monitor today after returning my Dell U3417w due to blb issues.

This is much better although there is still some uneven bleed in bottom left corner on default brightness settings. Does everyone else have about the same?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/19erul0uls7thn0/IMG_20170131_122537.jpg?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/vjg0b8lh2t5oaiv/IMG_20170131_122336.jpg?dl=0

Also what brightness/contrast settings is everyone running with?

Great monitor btw and those extra 4 inches makes all the difference :D

Thanks

Last edited:
Soldato
Over 2weeks now without being able to use this monitor as expected. I'd buy a new cable but it's a matter of principle that several people have promised to give me a resolution but never bothered to call back as promised on multiple occasions. Even Daniel from LG who frequents these forums promised to sort it out but he has gone radio silent. **** poor service to be honest and for this sort of price monitor is an insult.

Associate
Has anyone got the USB 3.0 ports to work on the monitor? Can't see anywhere to plug in an uplink cable so not sure what I need to get them working.

Thanks

Soldato
Has anyone got the USB 3.0 ports to work on the monitor? Can't see anywhere to plug in an uplink cable so not sure what I need to get them working.

Thanks

Believe the uplink is only possible through the USBc cable. The monitor does come in with a USBc-usb type a adapter 3.0 to be able to plug into older devices.

Back
Top Bottom