Samsung 24" and 27" CFG70 144 Hz / 34" CF791 100Hz VA FreeSync

Associate
OCuk prices on C24FG70 price cut by 9% on and C27FG70 by 7%. Now matches Samsung's own price (but is out of stock).

Not meeting sales goals hence the price cut?

Last edited:
Associate
Yes the one on the left is the C24, both screens are showing the same photo I took yesterday which was of the C34, hence it looks like a photo of two C34's! Can assure you its a C24 on the left though :)

Colours are very similar, much prefer the 34" just cos its bigger and 21:9.

Associate
Yes the one on the left is the C24, both screens are showing the same photo I took yesterday which was of the C34, hence it looks like a photo of two C34's! Can assure you its a C24 on the left though :)

Colours are very similar, much prefer the 34" just cos its bigger and 21:9.

Could you take a pic showing back light bleed of the two?

Soldato
Apologies, been enjoying the new screen :)

So far so good, no dead pixels, no noticeable bleed to the naked eye (will check more thoroughly later on).

Colours certainly do pop, haven't calibrated yet but will dig out the i1 Display tomorrow.

100hz is certainly an improvement over 60hz, obviously not as good as the C24FG70 I had before this. Still working out which is best out of the response time options. Magic upscale is an interesting one when watching films.

Very happy so far, missed 21:9 and glad to have it back.

Having seen the picture quality of the KS7000 (quantum dot) next to the equivalent HDR from Sony & Panasonic, I am not surprised that the image and colours going to be unparalleled.

Thank you :)

Associate
The brightness is absolutely eye bleeding, and the ****** strobe is a joke - gave my electrician a migraine after 10 minutes of use, and he had to take the rest of the day off work. As for me, my eyes constantly hurt, feel cross eyed, and have had the worst and most fitful sleep since I last used a CRT day to day, 14 years ago. tried playing BF1 and I can't even focus on the image.

This is exactly how I felt when upgrading from a CRT @ 120hz to the PWM plagued LCDs years ago. I'd get all those symptoms even when not using the LCD - PWM light reflecting off walls was enough. Everyone thinks you're making it up tho and doesn't believe flicker can cause such issues, sigh.

Damn shame, I've been waiting to "downgrade" from my 144hz 27" IPS for a year now. ULMB @ 120hz doesn't cause any lingering issues (just tired eyes after an hour or so).

24", 1080p, 144hz, fast response, low input lag, VA monitor ticked all the boxes. VA without strobe is next to useless as a gaming monitor imo.

Soldato
Contacted samsung and they suggested I contact OCUK and return under faulty goods program, so I did that.

So I am returning my c34f791 on Tuesday as it has dust behind the screen for a full refund (with the price decrease I will just order new one later rather than wait for replacement)

Going back to 24inch 1080p TN monitor feels just wrong, also my old monitor feels convex now, its very odd :D Its so tiny...my god if you guys go ultrawide, its very hard to go back, feels dirty.

I like the monitor a lot, the drawbacks are the freesync issue, I just turned it off as it is pointless with the flicker and there is ghosting...but not really noticeable in game play or whilst watching movies unless you look for it or very picky when it comes to this thing.

Edit. It just feels like I am on an CRT monitor, feel like I went back 20 years. Cannot get over this.

Last edited:
Associate
This is exactly how I felt when upgrading from a CRT @ 120hz to the PWM plagued LCDs years ago. I'd get all those symptoms even when not using the LCD - PWM light reflecting off walls was enough. Everyone thinks you're making it up tho and doesn't believe flicker can cause such issues, sigh.

Damn shame, I've been waiting to "downgrade" from my 144hz 27" IPS for a year now. ULMB @ 120hz doesn't cause any lingering issues (just tired eyes after an hour or so).

24", 1080p, 144hz, fast response, low input lag, VA monitor ticked all the boxes. VA without strobe is next to useless as a gaming monitor imo.
Just set the response to normal you will have always 4ms and your eyes wont hurt anymore. Why you are saying its useless without the Strobing, is the motion blur so much an issue?? There are a lot of guys who like motion blur in games and there are games that allow to disable it in the option menu. Honestly i dont mind at all about motion blur and this monitor is far from useless in gaming in my opinion

Associate
anyone know the quality control of samsung monitors? the last i owned was the s27a950 and they can out very well. shipping outside uk so returns will be expensive

Soldato
"Unlike earlier revisions (October 2016 and earlier) of the monitor, there wasn’t particularly obtrusive overshoot at 144Hz. There was some here and there and it did include some hints of colours such as purple and green in places, but it isn’t something we feel would bother most users."

https://pcmonitors.info/reviews/samsung-c24fg70/

Talks about desktop flickering with freesync enabled:

"FreeSync is certainly a nice feature and did work as it should, but between the flickering issue and overshoot being particularly noticeable at certain refresh rates made it a less than stellar implementation of the technology. "

Associate
https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/threads/time-for-g-sync-freesync-deals.18771338/

Did a search after seeing above thread. These monitors don't look too promising from the sounds of it. Should I get one of these instead?: Viewsonic xg2401
The XG2401 is one of the best 24 inch 144hz monitors around for performance. The Samsung 24 inch cfg70 is now in my mind a little better if you get a good one.

There had been some issues as noted in the thread but Samsung improved them with the latest revisions. Saying that though, my November model was better than my December model.

I have been gaming on the Samsung for just over a week now with my Benq 2730Z in temporary retirement as I prefer the image quality of the va panel over the tn even though the Benq is 1440p.

Associate
@Davanius do you notice any desktop flickering? Do u use freesync?
I do use freesync when not strobing and there is only a flicker at the bottom of the desktop icons sometimes while freesync is enabled. Not enough for it to bother me and no other type of flickering like a flashing wallpaper etc.

Strobing at a locked 144hz is what this monitor excels at. Pure motion without blurring with my online games. I now prefer it and will only now use freesync when I can't have the full 144 fps.

I use the 3 profile buttons for freesync, strobing and night use with the brightness turned down.

I am willing to accept the few drawbacks of this monitor because the colors, black depth, contrast and speed are excellent in my opinion.

If you get one, check the motion for juddering and double images while moving as a December build I recently tested had those problems. My November build is satisfactory.

Back
Top Bottom