‘Star Trek’ Copyright Settlement Allows Fan Film to Proceed

Soldato
only just heard of this and watched the prelude - its actually pretty good!

all the other star trek fan stuff has been garbage but i would definitely watch this.

Commissario
The new guidelines for Star Trek fan film makers are terrible.
They kind of let Axanar proceed, but they can't use proper actors and have to shorten it from 90 to 30 minutes in total, etc...

Basically they're ensuring it can't be classed as a professional film and compete as such.

It's a compromise between [edit]everything allowed[/edit], and a full on defence of the IP where nothing would be allowed without full licensing and agreement (including script).

It sounds a little like the situation in Japan where limited production runs of certain things are allowed without licencing but only if for example you can only buy them at specific events (for example you can't make a toy Gundam and sell it retail, but you can make a "garage kit" and sell it at one event as long as the production run is under a certain size).

(changed "nothing" to "everything allowed" I was rushed in my original post)

Caporegime
They basically killed it off in what was going to be its original form. They've already established characters and events in their prelude video, if they go ahead with it then that all has to be reworked, and it looks to be too large in scale to fit into 30 minutes. They could possibly make it into parts but Paramount could probably go against that as well. So as of now unless they somehow get permission from Paramount to proceed in its original form its going to need to be massively reworked or just cancelled outright.

Pity as the cg in the prelude video was really good, even though a lot of the Camera Angles on the ships looked very Abrams inspired.

Back
Top Bottom