PPC Freeware thread

Soldato
Though it might be a good idea to compile a thread with descriptions and links to decent PPC freeware.

Feel free to add to the list but do try an keep to the same format as below.:)

What I'd eventually like to do is compile it into one big thread into categories (eg. Games, System Tools, etc.)

------------------------------------------------------------

Batti: THE best battery indicator program you can get. Absolutely tiny memory foot print as well. Hardly uses any resources.

Seligmans Launcher: This fantastic app places an icon bar on your Today screen with shortcuts to all your favourites apps. Dead easy to add and remove shortcuts. I was using SPB Pocket Plus for this task but it used up a chunk of memory and made the phone a bit sluggish. This app uses barely an memory and has no impact on OS speed!

MS Live Search: Make use of that 3G/HSDPA connection! More info on what this app can do here.

TCPMP: THE best movie player for PPC! Essential for playing of all of your DivX/Xvid files.

Pocket DivX Encoder: PocketDivXEncoder is a Windows desktop program to re-encode video files in the DivX format in order to optimize them for viewing on the PocketPC.

PHM Registry Editor: A nice free reg editor.

Total Commander: An excellent free file manager. Much more powerful than File Explorer.

Mymobiler: My Mobiler enables you to view your mobile screen on your desktop, control your mobile by using desktop keyboard and mouse, copy/paste text between mobile and desktop, capture mobile screen and drag and drop files to your mobile

MobSync: MobSync synchronizes any file folder on the desktop with any file folder on the Pocket PC.

ScummVM: ScummVM is an emulator program which allows you to run certain classic graphical point-and-click adventure games from LucasArts from the 1990's.

CastCE: Atari ST Emulator.

MobiPocket Reader: Mobipocket is of double use for e-books and free eNews.

VxUtil: vxUtil (Personal) is a suite of network/internet utilities including DNS lookup, Ping, Trace Route, IP calculator, and much more.

eReader: Another e-book reader for the Pocket PC.

Mort Player: A fully skinnable media player that plays a variety of file formats including MP2, MP3, Ogg Vorbis, and WAV files. It also supports PodCasts and online playlists as well as has an equalizer function and big buttons. The latest version also includes AVRCP support for BT stereo headsets.

Tweaks2k2 Lite: A freeware "lite" version of the popular Tweaks2k2.Net for PPC which offers around 40 of the over 120 hacks provided in the full version of the software.

WiFiFoFum: More of a System/Network tool, WiFiFoFum is a wireless network scanner/sniffer (WiFi a, b, g) showing numerous items of information such as network type (AP or ad hoc), whether a WEP coding solution is present, WiFi channel used for broadcasting, SSID if broadcast, MAC address of the emitting hardware, discovery begin and end times, signal strength, etc.

VBar: A freeware task manager program which lets you switch between programs as well provides you with the ability to actually close programs instead of just minimizing them.

Magic Button: A popular task manager for your pocket pc which takes up very little screen real estate.

Today Warrior: A small Today screen page plug-in which shows system information (battery, memory, brightness, etc) on one line while the second line shows wi-fi status.

Today Plus: Still in the Beta phase, this super Today screen plug-in can display your owner info and your picture, the current weather conditions and multi-city forecast (cities in France and elsewhere), news from various sites, the time in different cities, your calendar (appointments, tasks, etc...), the battery level, the memory level, and even a launcher.

Weather to Go: A Today Screen plug-in that lets you display weather for up to 3 cities.

WinRar: Popular file compression utility for PPC.

PBar: Another great task manager.

GS Player: Can't believe I forgot this! Excellent player for all your music files.

Pocket CM: Touch based contact manager.

Via Virtual Earth: Virtual Earth Mobile (VEM) is an application that displays maps and satellite photography, and locates businesses by name or category within a geographical area. The data is downloaded from the MSN Virtual Earth servers.

Pocket Wake Up 1.1: Pocket WakeUp is a program that replaces the alarm system, not notifications, on your PPC. The program can handle up to 10 different alarms, nameable, each with different rules.

Alarm Clock: AlarmClock is an improved version of GSAlarmClock created by Mr. Y.Nagamidori. It features improved features such as allowing you to personalize the application by setting parameters (number of repetitions, snooze, screen shutdown,etc)

PocketGBA: Hmmm.. I wonder what this is?

PacMan: The arcade original re-done for PPC.

2 Tetris clones; Kevtris and SmartFall.

TenGo Free: Don't have a qwerty keypad on your PPC but want to input data faster with the stylus? Give this fantastic app a go. Check out the video on the front page to see it in action.

Adobe Reader: Allows you to read Adobe .pdf files on your PPC.

PocketXpdf: PocketXpdf is a no-frills viewer for native PDF files for the Pocket PC platform.

TouchPal An excellent software touch keypad! I've tried a few of them (Tengo, PocketCM Keyboard) and this is by far the best. So good that its convinced me to get a Touch Cruise as my next handset and use Touch Pal for data entry.

Last edited:
Associate
http://www.pocketcm.com/beta.php

Pocket CM is a great touch based contact manager. Now at a seeminly stable version 0.15. This guy develops fast. At one point there were two releases each week. It also handles your text messages in a conversation style which is very cool. I'd recommned using the origional messageing program for sending them as PCM is a little dodgey on that front.

Soldato
great thread, the mymobiler program looks awesome. would love to be able to use my phone on my pc. The download links on the site don't work for me though? does anyone have a copy? or know where a link is? I've tried google but they all lead back to the developers site?

Soldato
Maybe this is the foundations for a sticky? :)

agreed needs to be made a sticky

any way here is my add on to the thread

virtual earth mobile linkage got it running on my vario 2 running wm5 and it works a treat does the proper view like citys and fields and it does roads, you can plot a route on it as well but not very good if your in the car

5 stars from me :)

Soldato
OP
Pocket Wake Up 1.1: Pocket WakeUp is a program that replaces the alarm system, not notifications, on your PPC. The program can handle up to 10 different alarms, nameable, each with different rules.

Alarm Clock: AlarmClock is an improved version of GSAlarmClock created by Mr. Y.Nagamidori. It features improved features such as allowing you to personalize the application by setting parameters (number of repetitions, snooze, screen shutdown,etc)

PocketGBA: Hmmm.. I wonder what this is?

PacMan: The arcade original re-done for PPC.

2 Tetris clones; Kevtris and SmartFall.

TenGo Free: Don't have a qwerty keypad on your PPC but want to input data faster with the stylus? Give this fantastic app a go. Check out the video on the front page to see it in action.

Adobe Reader: Allows you to read Adobe .pdf files on your PPC.

PocketXpdf: PocketXpdf is a no-frills viewer for native PDF files for the Pocket PC platform.

Soldato
Great thread. Will make a great sticky.

Installed a few programs from this thread on my XDA running Windows Mobile 6.

Much love for both Batti & Pocket CM. Cheers guys.

Soldato
Outsync

OutSync is a free Windows application that syncs photos of your Facebook friends with matching contacts in Microsoft Outlook. It allows you to select which contacts are updated. So you can update all contacts at once or just a few at a time.

The main benefit of OutSync is for Windows Mobile users. Updated contacts are automatically synced with Windows Mobile devices by Exchange server or ActiveSync. Thus new and fun photos appear during calls and other places where contacts are used.

http://www.melsam.com/outsync/

Associate
Mobile Barcoder for Firefox.

Use this to generate 2D barcodes of whatever URL you're on at any time.

Then use Quickmark on your phone to copy the link over. No Activesync or whatever required, no need to maintain mobile bookmarks, near instant transfer of a link from PC to phone. I've just got it, and it's a really clever idea and is very quick.

Back
Top Bottom