• Ck2G6wS.jpg.png
    Ck2G6wS.jpg.png
    503 bytes · Views: 6
  • FjkxyLn.jpg.png
    FjkxyLn.jpg.png
    503 bytes · Views: 8
Last edited:
Associate
Surprising temps. Expected higher - is it quite noisy under load?

Recently built a silver Metis as an office PC and really like it. Nice size and runs very cool seeing as it only has a G3258 and no GPU. I have set mine up to push in air with the PSU exhausting. Also have a 'normal' CPU cooler to aid the flow and idle temps are only about 5'C above room temp (delta?). Would be inteterested to see how your temps change, if at all, with the fan as an intake. Was your test a sustained one?

I also enjoyed building mine. Wore out the thread on one of the frame's sockets for the side panel whilst trying to screw the panel in with the HDD tray in place the wrong way around. Would be pleasantly surprised if you got 3.5 HDD in there with the GPU without the thing melting!

Associate
OP
ote1, Quiet, Even on Benchmarking & playing games, I adjust the case fan & CPU Fan by the gigabyte (System Information viewer App ) From Silent to Full Speed or Leave it on Auto Smart Mode,

Last edited:
Associate
Awesome, are you going to add in some thin case fans then? Please post the results. I'd like to have a Metis as my main case if the cooling performance were better.

Associate
OP
Awesome, are you going to add in some thin case fans then? Please post the results. I'd like to have a Metis as my main case if the cooling performance were better.

Playing Middle-earth Shadow of Mordor on max settings, heat & sound is a problem, motherboard temp over 50c, SSD reaching over 50c
graphics card fans can be heard a lot, a lot of heat coming out the bottom of PSU really hot,
normal light tasks like watching blu-ray movies stay cool & no sound.
see how it goes
Just looked at the CPU temp in RealTemp_370 & Reaching over 80c ...the I7 4790K not even OC yet

Last edited:
Associate
Playing Middle-earth Shadow of Mordor on max sittings , heat & sound is a problem ,motherboard temp over 50c ,ssd reaching over 50c
graphics card fans can be heard a lot , a lot of heat coming out bottom of psu really hot ,

normal light tasks like watching blu-ray movies stays cool & no sound.

Going to Change the Zotac GTX 970 with my Gigabyte GeForce GTX 970 "Mini-ITX" 4096MB
see how it goes

Just looked at the CPU temp in RealTemp_370 & Reaching over 80c ...the I7 4790K not even OC yet

Haha, I expected this over a prolonged period. There's just not enough room unfortunately. Perhaps there's the possibility to add in a water loop CPU cooler with 120mm rad? That could keep a lot of the heat out. I guess then you'd just need to tackle the GPU - perhaps modding the top with plenty of holes and perhaps even a slim intake fan could work? Also, given you mobo and SSD temps it'd probably be worth modding the window side to fit another case fan to breather fresh air over the mobo and help feed the PSU (seeing as the CPU cooler would exhaust and potentially stall air around the mobo).

I know I've seen a PC building website somewhere using the Metis (under it's own brand name) which has a ~80mm fan hole in the top by the looks of things. No reason that couldn't be upped to 120mm; there are a fair few 120mm slim case fans that I think would do the trick.

I would love to try this but it'd require buying a suitable GPU (I have an XFX 280X which is longer than the case I'm sure!) and a level of craftsmanship I don't think I have.

Last edited:
Associate
hey Darren, I would ask are you leaving the top off to keep it cool ??

if not I would advise you to change your fans a bit, quick diagram to help explain what I mean: ( -> / <- direction of air )

PSU <- -> CPU -> exhaust......I know this is a default layout of the fans but it seems to force the air in all directions rather than I nice path. remember the PSU fan takes in from the fan and out the bottom. but your 2 other fans are counting it making the PSU on load fight for air.

I would swap it so it was PSU <- CPU <- Intake <- this would improve the flow of air, and maybe add a filter to the back fan or a cut up stretched tight or something. although the air going to the PSU would be warmed by the "CPU" it will be easier for the air to flow and when cool the intake and CPU will push the air into the PSU and out of it as a nature vent. the GPU will share some of the air and gain it from the mesh side panel opposite.

Edit: its nice to see a fellow Kent person ^^ I'm from Sittingbourne

Associate
If you have the time Darren it'd be reallly interesting to see how temps may have changed with the new CPU cooler and different airflow configs (as josh_king and I have suggested) affect your temps in heavy gaming such as Shadows of Mordor.

Associate
OP
hey Darren, I would ask are you leaving the top off to keep it cool ??

if not I would advise you to change your fans a bit, quick diagram to help explain what I mean: ( -> / <- the direction of air )

PSU <- -> CPU -> exhaust......I know this is a default layout for the fans but it seems to force the air in all directions rather than In a nice path, remember the PSU fan takes in from the fan and out the bottom. but your 2 other fans are counting it making the PSU on load fight for air.

I would swap it so it was PSU <- CPU <- Intake <- this would improve the flow of air, and maybe add a filter to the back fan or a cut up stretched tight or something. although the air going to the PSU would be warmed by the "CPU" it will be easier for the air to flow and when cool the intake and CPU will push the air into the PSU and out of it as a nature vent. the GPU will share some of the air and gain it from the mesh side panel opposite.

Edit: it is nice to see a fellow Kent person ^^ I'm from Sittingbourne

Hello Fellow Kent person, HalfBakedJake & ote1,
yes, that is one way I Thought about when building it PSU <- CPU <- Intake < I already been thinking about,
I put this case on hold at the moment when I get back to doing the case I will reverse the case so Graphics card at bottom & CPU at top with 120mm rear fan outtake,
I will make a nice pattern of holes on front panel for PSU & make holes also on top,
simple mod job,
also been looking at the SilverStone NightJar 520W Zero dBA "80+ Plus Platinum" Fanless Power Supply (SST-NJ520) and how that reacts to standing upright and holes in the front, be very Interesting when I get around to it.

Attachments

• 3xPPy4R.jpg.png
    3xPPy4R.jpg.png
    503 bytes · Views: 4
Last edited:
Permabanned
There is still Room Up Top of Case for more storage Drives Like a 3.5" or 2 x 2.5s

Afraid not. Did a build in one of these and get similar temps to you using a 270X MSI ITX. I then fit a HDD in at the top, but that totally restricts what little room the GPU has for air.

Card was reaching 90c's and sounded like a train with a HDD in place.

Other than that, the case is brilliant, the non windowed variant is SLIGHTLY better for cooling as it has a vent where you could either stick a fan or have a low profile CPU cooler that chucks air through it. Since the entire case is metal however, its great at dissipating the heat.

The temps on the CPU look good anyway, its just the GPU that can get toasty. Drill some holes in the top and stick a fan there :D!

EDIT: Better to have a fan on your PSU here, as its still pulling in some air at least (at least mine was pulling in air, I cant remember if I reversed the PSU fan or not). Fanless is going to mean you have no intakes whatsoever.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Afraid not. Did a build in one of these and get similar temps to you using a 270X MSI ITX. I then fit a HDD in at the top, but that totally restricts what little room the GPU has for air.

Card was reaching 90c's and sounded like a train with a HDD in place.

Other than that, the case is brilliant, the non windowed variant is SLIGHTLY better for cooling as it has a vent where you could either stick a fan or have a low profile CPU cooler that chucks air through it. Since the entire case is metal however, its great at dissipating the heat.

The temps on the CPU look good anyway, its just the GPU that can get toasty. Drill some holes in the top and stick a fan there :D!

EDIT: Better to have a fan on your PSU here, as its still pulling in some air at least (at least mine was pulling in air, I cant remember if I reversed the PSU fan or not). Fanless is going to mean you have no intakes whatsoever.

Last edited:
Associate
Very tempted to buy one of these cases but I have a Silverstone SG09 sitting in my bedroom going to waste so no need for one ATM, it's also my favourite case after having overheating issues with my enthoo pro

Associate
OP
Very tempted to buy one of these cases but I have a Silverstone SG09 sitting in my bedroom going to waste so no need for one ATM, it's also my favourite case after having overheating issues with my enthoo pro

I purchased the Raijintek Metis ITX Case as its one of smallest & made of aluminium,
so don't take much room up and can be placed in very small places & on the shelf or next to the Main tv or easy to take it to a friends house in a small bag.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
also with this Raijintek Metis Case nice to mod it to make it an Air-friendly case for High-end hardware,
I once owned the Silverstone SG09 , very AIR friendly & can take full-size cards & takes good size PSUs in front :)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom