(In Win 901) Asteria II: Rearmoured

Soldato
asteria2_banner.jpg

Welcome one and all to my very first build log. Hopefully this will be a great experience to share with you all as this is a project of many firsts: first extensive case mod, first foray into custom water cooling, first hardline loop too, and first time putting everything out there for public display! Exciting and terrifying in equal measure :D

Asteria II: Rearmoured is based around the stunning In Win 901 Mini ITX case, and was inspired by Laine's "Clarity". It was great to see a custom loop put into this case, but I felt more could've been done with his radiator placement. A year of planning and exploring later I've bitten the bullet and giving it a shot of my own.

The name
Asteria was a Greek goddess associated with falling stars and prophetic dreams. She was also a Titan and, frankly, that's why the original Asteria was named as such - all of my computers are female and she had a GTX Titan inside :p The Titan and a few other parts of being reused in this new project, and hence Asteria II: Rearmoured was born.

Hardware
  • i7 6700K
  • Maximus VIII Impact
  • 16GB Dominator Platinum
  • GTX Titan
  • Silverstone ST45SF-G V2 Corsair SF600 Platinum PSU

Water cooling
  • EK Supremacy EVO Acetal
  • Watercool Heatkiller GPU-X3 Titan LT with EK FC Titan backplate
  • Alphacool UT60 360 primary radiator
  • Alphacool ST30 120 XSPC TX120 secondary radiator
  • Alphacool DDC310 pump with Aquacomputer custom-designed DDC top
  • Aquacomputer Aqualis ECO100 res
  • EK 12mm hardline compression fittings

Fans
  • 3x Corsair ML120 White LED
  • 1x Noctua NF A12x15 Black

Since this has been in the planning stages for over a year, there's no starting pics of the case I'm afraid since it's all in bits for measuring!

Where I can though I do intend to give some stock shots of components before they're modded. Right now though I only have my phone camera available, some cheap lights and a black bed sheet that refuses to have the creases ironed out of it, so don't expect miracles in the photography department :p

Thanks for looking, progress will be updated as it comes.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Maximus VIII Impact motherboard

To get the ball rolling here's a quick tour around the motherboard.

impact-stock_full-01.jpg

impact-stock_full-03.jpg

It's a great looking board, but I think the Z97 Impact VII actually looks a little better. What bothers me is the different textures involved on this board.

For instance, the chipset heatsink has a matte grey sticker with subtle ROG embossing, however the shroud for the SupremeFX sound card is a very reflective shiny silver, and fingerprint magnet to boot.

impact-stock_supremefx-southbridge.jpg

And the same grey matte is applied to the Impact Power daughterboard heatsink:

impact-stock_impact-power.jpg

Yes, the ROG logo is embossed with that crosshatch style. Very nice, but I'm not sure I can retain it.

And, frankly, a £200 motherboard should have a more elegant way of connecting a BIOS battery!

impact-stock_bios-battery.jpg

Also, since Asus decided to put a U.2 port on the board (why?) rather than M.2, the I/O cluster for me looks a bit haphazard now with varying heights of ports and big gaps and whatnot.

impact-stock_full-02.jpg

A silly thing to fixate on? Of course :D

All of this is going to be corrected. The red is going and all the textures are being unified. Bring on the vinyl!

(now that I have this first post out of the way I can actually get on with some work :p )

Catch you soon.

Last edited:
Soldato
Lol that battery... What a joke.

Looking forward to seeing some more, be interesting to see how you mod the case and cram in all the good stuff.

Soldato
OP
Thanks for the interest Smffy.

The battery actually made me rage! Not only do I have to faff with some tiny sleeving but somehow make the plug black (tiniest amount of black paint and a fine brush methinks).

As far as modding the case goes, that's the bit I'm most excited about as it's been the bulk of the year's planning and 6 months in Photoshop and Illustrator.

Soldato
OP
Isn't the original Titan 300w? If it is then isn't a 450w PSU pushing it a bit?

Well 300W can go into the Titan but it never does, even at 100% load. I've been running the Titan off this PSU for 3 years with no issues. And the 6700K will draw a smidgen less than the 2500 I have right now too.

I've never gone above 400W from the wall.

Associate
Good to know :) Will be keeping a close eye on this project because I've always liked how the 901 looks! Water cooling in this case seems to be well challenging though.

Soldato
OP
Oh it's a bugger to water cool properly when you want things to look stock. B Negative is doing an awesome job with his Celestial project, but he's rebuilding the entirety of the inside for his. I'm only rebuilding about half...oh wait, was that a spoiler? :p

Soldato
OP
Life has gotten in the way a little bit recently, so apologies for no updates. I did want to update the log in thematic batches, but that's proven to unnecessarily delay things.

Will get something up a bit later.

Soldato
OP

Hello to all, back with a minor update.

I had intended to post content in more complete, thematic blocks, but life has gotten in the way recently so I've not made much progress. Still, here's what little I've been up to.

Motherboard work, part 1
As said in my opening posts, first thing I really wanted to do was balance the colours and textures on the motherboard.

impact-mod_pre.jpg

All laid out ready for some love. You can really see the difference between the heatsinks and the sound card shroud, and already in its naked form the board is looking a bit more unified.

So let's break out the black matte vinyl wrap...

impact-mod_components-all.jpg

The wrap is a reasonably chunky 0.2mm thick with a nice texture not too dissimilar to the stock heatsinks so it's covered well without too much effort. Need to tidy up a few edges here and there.

impact-mod_components-soundcard.jpg

SupremeFX III soundcard. It turns out the lettering and red design lines are slightly embossed, so I may well give it another blast with the heatgun to bring the details out a little more.

And yes, I'm too much of a coward to invalidate warranties on my very first proper project, so I just wrapped over the serial number label :p it'll be face down towards the GPU though so you won't see it.

impact-mod_components-power.jpg

Impact Power heatsink. The embossed ROG Eye logo came out really well, but unfortunately the Republic Of Gamers text just wouldn't take - looked lovely and crisp when the vinyl was warm and being rubbed down, but it just relaxed a bit too much as it cooled, losing definition.

Not overly fussed right now because, again, this will be facing down and obscured by the CPU block. Plus this took me 4 attempts and is still a little scruffy, so I'm walking away for a bit :p

impact-mod_components-chipset.jpg

Chipset heatsink. The ROG branding came out really nicely, lovely and crisp embossing. Excuse the dodgy edge, I was a bit excited by how well the ROG turned out and had to take a pic!

All together then...
impact-mod_black-interim.jpg

Maximus VIII Impact Black Edition anybody?

Much, much tidier now I think. I did think about covering the capacitors on the power daughterboard similar to B Negative's Celestial, but I think in my case the little flashes of silver here and there serves as nice accenting.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Motherboard work, part 2
The red and the textures have been tidied up now, but the I/O cluster bothers me as well. It's not the colour this time, it's the haphazard spacing and heights - I just don't want to see it at all.

Bit of measuring, bit of Illustrator, wee drop of ink on some paper and...

impact-mod_shroud-template-top.jpg

Test fit an I/O shroud. It also covers up the serial label on the sound card cover too :p

impact-mod_shroud-template-side.jpg

I think I can extend that wall a few more mm just to get a bit more coverage.

I'll be honest, the EVGA Z97 Stinger is my inspiration for the I/O shroud (and probably my entire board rework too).
111-HR-E972-KR_XL_4.jpg

I love that it's not just a hard-edge plastic box you slap on top of the I/O cluster, but much more organic with a nice bend radius at the ends and all folded from a single cut piece. That also ties in nicely with the smooth, sweeping corners of the 901's aluminium external skin, so I'm rather happy at how my own bend radius has mocked up.

Of course, it needs to be done in something that isn't paper yet. It also doesn't need to be done in 2mm thick acrylic :p

impact-mod_shroud-pigs-ear.jpg

Now this was always more playing with the material rather than making something final, but 2mm is (for me anyway) a bit too thick to get some intricate cuts and rounded corners, and also to fold evenly. Bit of a pig's ear really.

So I'm changing to 1.5mm thick PETG sheet, but will have to wait until I've made up my DIY metal brake to get more accurate, even folds.

Thanks for looking, hopefully be back soon!

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Why didn't you just buy the the EVGA Z97 Stinger? What benefits do you get from the ASUS?

You can't get the Stinger any more, not even 2nd hand. Nor can you get the Asus Z97-I Plus which was my first board choice. Originally was looking at the Impact VII, but they're hard to come across and B Negative is using one in his own In Win 901 Celestial build.

I was then looking at the Asus Z170 Pro Gaming and B150 Gaming Aura, but had a stonking deal show up for the Impact VIII and just couldn't pass it up.

Last edited:
Soldato
Did you use 3M primer on those heatsinks? I've just got a bad feeling that when that vinyl heats up it's going to remember what shape it used to be and cause you headaches.

Soldato
OP
Did you use 3M primer on those heatsinks? I've just got a bad feeling that when that vinyl heats up it's going to remember what shape it used to be and cause you headaches.

The heatsinks don't get hot and what little heat is generated doesn't pass through the metal stickers, so at this point in time I think I'll be OK.

That being said, I'll be giving the board a run through once the CPU and block are back on just to check everything's still working before building, so I can stress the board a bit and see how things go.

Back
Top Bottom