Project Smurf 3.0

Soldato
***SIGNIFICANT CHANGES - SEE HERE FOR LATEST***

Sneak preview of current state of the build:

IMG_2369_zps9mtpjnlq.jpg

And so it begins... Been waiting to get going on this a long time, the case is finally in existence and the GPU blocks not long off. Current build is here:

https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=18732105

The basic specs for the core tech:
  • 2 x EVGA 1080 FTW
  • 32GB Corsair DDR4
  • Corsait HX1200i PSU
  • 3 x 512 GB Crucial MX200 SSD
  • 1 x 512GB 950 Pro M.2
  • Full custom loop, EK parts
It currently looks a bit like this:
File_000_zps2yul0yot.jpeg

But with the air cooled 2 x 1080s in it... I need more space. Enter version 3.0... I'm currently waiting on the full cover EK blocks for my GPUs, along with the nickel backplates and some other goodies. That won't be arriving until around the 19th, but i'm actually out of the country for a week anyway so good timing - updates will be coming. For now here is a taste of something rather special that arrived today... Can you guess what it is?

File_003_zpsrsynmrcy.jpeg

File_001_zpslmzw03fu.jpeg

What have I got left to order?

1. Some MUCH bigger radiators, 1 x 360mm (60mm deep) and 1 x 480mm (60-80mm) - Recommendations?
  2. New CPU block, currently my eye is firmly on the Raystorm Pro in white
  3. Tubing: I've got 16mm Hardline, i'm debating copper tubing but chrome coated
  4. More custom cables, I now have the kit to braid

What do you reckon to the case? Something a little different...

Last edited:
Associate
Lovely looking case you've got yourself there :)

The radiators used will depend on the configuration of your fans and the speed they will run at.

1) push/pull or push only?
2) Fan rpm?

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Lovely looking case you've got yourself there :)

The radiators used will depend on the configuration of your fans and the speed they will run at.

1) push/pull or push only?
2) Fan rpm?

It was like Chinese IKEA putting it together but it does look good :D

Rads: There is space in the top and bottom to house the fans outside the internal space, therefore they will probably be single rows pulling air out the top and either again single pushing air in the bottom or if I go for the 60mm rad not 80mm then potential to have a row on top in push/pull. RPM it shouldn't need a lot with so many fans, obviously I want noise to be minimal most of the time.

I've got a load of SP120's in the current build but very interested in the sexy new version:

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/cors...x-fan-pack-includes-controller-fg-066-cs.html

Edit: Not sure if these fans are these same, I think they are: https://www.overclockers.co.uk/cors...remium-magnetic-levitation-fan-fg-055-cs.html

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Well seems like EK are being really crap lately with speed/service... So no real updates but everything I ordered to get going on this:

EK-FC1080 GTX FTW - Nickel x 2
EK-AF Extender 20mm M-F G1/4 - Black Nickel x 2
EK-ATX Bridging Plug (24 pin) x 1
EK-HDC Fitting 16mm G1/4 - Blue x 4
EK-CSQ Plug G1/4 - Black Nickel x 4
EK-FC Terminal DUAL Parallel 3-Slot - Plexi x 1
EK-FC1080 GTX FTW Backplate - Nickel x 2
EK-RES X3 - Internal Tube 12/16 140mm x 1

Ordered on the 5th... Slow is an understatement as the FTW blocks have been in for a week now. Seems like someone forgot.

Rest is coming out the old build, still to decide on the rads and new CPU block.

Soldato
OP
Well seems like EK are being really crap lately with speed/service...

Small update, i've cancelled the EK order because it was getting silly - while waiting for the backplates which didn't get allocated from my preorder it seems the bridge is no longer in stock. I honestly don't know why things are not picked at point of order and fulfilled when other items com in, but i've now re-ordered the whole lot through OCUK...

Also added:

XPC Raystorm Pro (White)
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/xspc-raystorm-pro-waterblock-intel-white-wc-386-xs.html

Not only do I love the look of it for my build it seems like it performs well also.

EK-FC1080 GTX FTW - Nickel x 2
EK-AF Extender 20mm M-F G1/4 - Black Nickel x 2
EK-ATX Bridging Plug (24 pin) x 1
EK-HDC Fitting 16mm G1/4 - Blue x 4
EK-CSQ Plug G1/4 - Black Nickel x 4
EK-FC Terminal DUAL Parallel 3-Slot - Plexi x 1
EK-FC1080 GTX FTW Backplate - Nickel x 2
EK-RES X3 - Internal Tube 12/16 140mm x 1

So that leaves me to decide on radiators - whats a shame is i'm quite up for the Nexxxos big rads, but the 480mm doesnt seem to come in white. I'd be interested to know anyones experience with the 'monsta' - is it 'too big', at what point is it just pointless over a good 60mm?

Final point to decide is whether I go down the copper tube route? If anyone should know a good source of 16mm OD copper let me know... I plan on getting it chrome coated.

Associate
Definitely be following this build closely, was going to use one of those cases myself (but in black) as I think the design is bang on, and certainly something a bit different from the usual big name brands. Unfortunately though whilst the site states "All panels in the R80 are made from flat sheet metal, and can be easily modified to fit your specific needs" they refused point blank to make even tiny alterations to the design of the front panel, so off to Parvum it was! Be great to see what you can do with it though, even if it does make me wonder what might have been... :D

Also be interested to see what you think of the Raystorm Pro, especially the new and supposedly improved mounting mechanism. As you said the reviews seem positive so hopefully they've finally nailed it.

Could you not just paint the radiator yourself? And copper tube with chrome plating? Yes. JUST DO IT! :D

Soldato
OP
"All panels in the R80 are made from flat sheet metal, and can be easily modified to fit your specific needs" they refused point blank to make even tiny alterations to the design of the front panel

Yeah they are pretty new to the volume game though, to be fair i've got some feedback for them and a couple of pieces had damage and will be replaced. Which reminds me I need to organise that... Once it's together it weighs a ton, Pretty sure you could get the front copied and cut how you want from sheet metal. Just thought, they definitely did some custom plastic on some of the sponsored builds but that won't help you on the metal.

If anyone does buy it, the instructions are really quite poorly thought out.

Last edited:
Associate
That's very true about getting it cut elsewhere, just found it odd that they included that line on the site then refuse to make even tiny alterations. Also asked if they could make the feet longer as the case would have been on carpet... NOPE! A bit mad they're willing to lose customers over something so simple but never mind, just more annoying as it really is a stunning looking case.

Good luck with the build anyway Smffy, if it's anything like the current Smurf it'll be a beauty :D

Soldato
OP
just found it odd that they included that line on the site then refuse to make even tiny alterations. Also asked if they could make the feet longer as the case would have been on carpet... NOPE!

Good luck with the build anyway Smffy, if it's anything like the current Smurf it'll be a beauty :D

Cheers, the perspex feet are basic as hell so I reckon you could modify those really easily. In short though, its all made in China and given they are small i'm guessing not much is up for alteration - I think they meant DIY.

Soldato
OP
Right, its update time!

Finally after much messing around thanks to EK's lack of organisation everything is sat re-ordered via OCUK waiting on the backplates to come in - hopefully those arrive in the next few days. Whilst waiting on that I've ordered some radiators which was not as simple as you might think - basically I wanted something big, good and white but in 360 and 480mm... I've now finally found one of these in France in the 480mm size which is currently shipping its way to me:

** Do not Hotlink images and especially from a competitor **
(sorry, pasted the wrong link my bad - arrived and photo below for reference if anyone is interested)
So the radiator setup will be Hardwarelabs Black Ice SR2 MP in 360mm (Top) and 480mm (Bottom). I'm undecided on the fans but for the time being i've got 6 Corsair SP120s so i'm either replacing those and potentially running the bottom in push pull.

That leaves all the GPU blocks and components and my Raystorm Pro CPU block to arrive from OCUK before I can get going. Regarding the use of copper tubing, i'm still considering it but planning to use all the PETG I already have initially then copy the bends in copper if I so wish. A source of 16mm OD copper would be good if anyone has one?

Last edited:
Soldato
SP120s are good fans but presumably the wrong colour for the build. There's quite a few people getting good results spraying fans lately. Could be a cost saver if that's an issue.
I've heard of copper in 15mm OD (generic plumbing size) and there's 12mm available in various flavours (hard, soft, semi hard I think - no innuendo intended!) but I've not heard of 16mm OD yet. Obviously I'm an expert on copper tubing and you should take my answer as definitive rather than asking people that know what they're talking about! ;)

Soldato
OP
Parvum F1.0 in white might he a nice fan for the case

Thank you, will have a look in to it - the case has quite a good design though and the fans live within the top and bottom so only a layer in push/pull would be visible inside the case

SP120s are good fans but presumably the wrong colour for the build. There's quite a few people getting good results spraying fans lately. Could be a cost saver if that's an issue.
I've heard of copper in 15mm OD (generic plumbing size) and there's 12mm available in various flavours (hard, soft, semi hard I think - no innuendo intended!) but I've not heard of 16mm OD yet. Obviously I'm an expert on copper tubing and you should take my answer as definitive rather than asking people that know what they're talking about! ;)

Cost isn't an issue, though I really need to sell some of this old kit as I've got enough fans to achieve flight at my desk lately. I think the copper needs to be specially ordered, 12mm and 15mm OD are standard sizes, 16mm is not. I'll power through with plan A and get the EK Hardline back in as the first step...

Soldato
OP
The component fairy has been... :D

File_000_zpsyyt6sy4n.jpeg

New 1080 FTW blocks - FINALLY!! They look super slim and very wide compared to those on my 980Ti:
File_003_zpsgvo3zogz.jpeg

Gonna put this out there but the machining on the channels is really quite obvious... I'd personally want it smoothed out so might consider doing that if I feel so inclined - are all the clear blocks like this?
File_004_zpswws9lsg0.jpeg

Quick check on the rads, top looks like it will be a tight fit so wish me luck when I install... Now to look at getting a ton of fans and a few other bits before its go time!

File_002_zpsytown80x.jpeg

The full Nickel backplates are still on preorder from OCUK so fingers crossed its not too far away... Finally watercooling the GPUs, its been so long waiting!

Last edited:
Soldato
"Are all the clear blocks like this?"
I think so. What you're seeing is the toolpath - the path the CNC mill has taken to cut out the channels. It's a side-effect but most people (I think) consider it aesthetically pleasing. You'll probably find its not so noticeable once filled - that and unless you go to great lengths (or have an inverted case design) you're not going to see the clear side.
Bonus of a clear block (in my opinion) is that you can light it and you can see if any gunk is building up in the fins.

Soldato
OP
"Are all the clear blocks like this?"
I think so. What you're seeing is the toolpath - the path the CNC mill has taken to cut out the channels. It's a side-effect but most people (I think) consider it aesthetically pleasing. You'll probably find its not so noticeable once filled - that and unless you go to great lengths (or have an inverted case design) you're not going to see the clear side.
Bonus of a clear block (in my opinion) is that you can light it and you can see if any gunk is building up in the fins.

Cool, I can see its the mill yes just curious. I know i'll never see it as its going to be face down but you know the OCD will get to me haha!

Soldato
OP
And some more goodies arrived today, cocked up and was short 1 fan because i'm stupid... The plan is to have these nice new ones on top, out of sight the old SP120's and run the lot in push pull. Still unsure as to whether I can fit push pull on the top and bottom but we'll see.

The boxes rather curiously have a sticker on them saying 'warranty void if removed' for whatever reason lol:
File_000_zpsvjbu5oqa.jpeg

Two triple packs with hubs and 1 single (fail, needed 2 because I forgot about the rear exhaust!
File_001_zpsn74bzl87.jpeg

And the hub stuff inside, i'm not sure if i'll be using this stuff as yet - potentially I want a much better solution like an Aquero for all the fans. This seems to rely on pushing a button to change speeds so i'm not sure if it works with the corsair link at all - anyone know before I hit Google to find it?

File_002_zpsqceul04u.jpeg

Soldato
I think there was a thread on here about them a while back. Can't search at the moment - flakey Edge connection on a train - but if I remember correctly it was either a proprietary control method or just undocumented. Someone may have worked it out though by now and if the LED and fan speed are on separate wires you could split the connection and do the LEDS from the Corsair hub and fan speed from the Aquaero. You may find that the positive power is shared so you can't decrease voltage to the fans without dimming the LEDs. How many wires are there to each fan?

Back
Top Bottom