TN vs IPS - Which one should I buy?

Soldato
I'm planning on buying a new monitor. I've noticed there seems to be TN and IPS monitors.

What do most people use? Is there any noticable difference for the average gamer?

Thanks for any input guys.

Associate
Actually, there's also VA monitors, which are close to IPS.

TN: fastest pixel response times, worst viewing angles, worst colors.
IPS: medium pixel response times, best viewing angles (though also IPS glow), best colors.
VA: slower pixel respone times, good viewing angles, good colors (deepest blacks, best contrast).

My own opinion:
TN is for professional gamers, who are willing to sacrifice everything else for those last milliseconds of pixel response times. But if you're not paid for your gaming, then it's probably not worth the compromises. Wannabe-pro players want to be like the pros, and will get a TN. Manufacturers know this, and will exploit it. Some will even get 60Hz TN, which is the bottom of the barrel.

IPS is good for all-around usage, and usually the best choice for most users, even gamers. But because there's an intense competition in the market, manufacturers are trying to push down prices, which has recently resulted in cutting corners, and therefore there has been some quality issues with IPS.

VA is ... well I don't know how to describe VA. It has risen in popularity in the last year or two, because of the quality issues with IPS. And indeed, in characteristics it's quite similar with IPS, exchanging punches in different areas.

In your case, I would recommend a 144Hz IPS (preferably FreeSync/G-Sync). If you can't find a suitable size in a suitable price, then look for 144Hz VA. Next 60Hz FreeSync IPS/VA, or MAYBE a 144Hz TN. If still nothing, then you're doing something wrong, as 60Hz should never be an option, ever.

Whether you should look for FreeSync or G-Sync, depends on your choice of GPU. The FreeSync is for AMD GPUs, and they're basically equally priced with "normal" monitors. G-Sync, on the other hand, is for nVidia GPUs, but they are practically always £100-200 more expensive.

If you have an nVidia GPU, but can't stomach the price premium of G-Sync, then you should still look for FreeSync monitors, as they cost the same as a non-sync monitor, and will still work as a normal monitor, even if you don't own an AMD GPU. Actually, currently it might be harder to find a 144Hz non-sync monitor than a 144Hz FreeSync monitor. There is a standard war between the two, but nVidia is losing it. The price difference probably played a major part in this.

Ps. I myself have a 144Hz 32" FreeSync 1080p VA (Acer XZ321Q). It is awesome. But there is slight blurring in slowly moving text. Would I still recommend it? Yes. It cost me about 500€ in Finland. OcUK had it for £430 at the beginning. Now it's £480. The 27" variant is about £300.

Soldato
I'm planning on buying a new monitor. I've noticed there seems to be TN and IPS monitors.

What do most people use? Is there any noticable difference for the average gamer?

Thanks for any input guys.

aatu did a fantastic job explaining in detail everything you need to know :)

If you do not need 1ms monitor, sacrificing colours, get IPS or VA and 100hz+.
Preferably with gsync/freesync

Associate

IPS: medium pixel response times, best viewing angles (though also IPS glow), best colors.
VA: slower pixel respone times, good viewing angles, good colors (deepest blacks, best contrast).

My own opinion:
TN is for professional gamers, who are willing to sacrifice everything else for those last milliseconds of pixel response times. But if you're not paid for your gaming, then it's probably not worth the compromises. Wannabe-pro players want to be like the pros, and will get a TN. Manufacturers know this, and will exploit it. Some will even get 60Hz TN, which is the bottom of the barrel.

IPS is good for all-around usage, and usually the best choice for most users, even gamers. But because there's an intense competition in the market, manufacturers are trying to push down prices, which has recently resulted in cutting corners, and therefore there has been some quality issues with IPS.

VA is ... well I don't know how to describe VA. It has risen in popularity in the last year or two, because of the quality issues with IPS. And indeed, in characteristics it's quite similar with IPS, exchanging punches in different areas.

In your case, I would recommend a 144Hz IPS (preferably FreeSync/G-Sync). If you can't find a suitable size in a suitable price, then look for 144Hz VA. Next 60Hz FreeSync IPS/VA, or MAYBE a 144Hz TN. If still nothing, then you're doing something wrong, as 60Hz should never be an option, ever.

Whether you should look for FreeSync or G-Sync, depends on your choice of GPU. The FreeSync is for AMD GPUs, and they're basically equally priced with "normal" monitors. G-Sync, on the other hand, is for nVidia GPUs, but they are practically always £100-200 more expensive.

If you have an nVidia GPU, but can't stomach the price premium of G-Sync, then you should still look for FreeSync monitors, as they cost the same as a non-sync monitor, and will still work as a normal monitor, even if you don't own an AMD GPU. Actually, currently it might be harder to find a 144Hz non-sync monitor than a 144Hz FreeSync monitor. There is a standard war between the two, but nVidia is losing it. The price difference probably played a major part in this.

Ps. I myself have a 144Hz 32" FreeSync 1080p VA (Acer XZ321Q). It is awesome. But there is slight blurring in slowly moving text. Would I still recommend it? Yes. It cost me about 500€ in Finland. OcUK had it for £430 at the beginning. Now it's £480. The 27" variant is about £300.

Fantastic reply, a friend who is considering building his 1st PC asked me this very question last week, I think I lost him when I started talking about gsync and freesync though!

Man of Honour
Depends so much on an individuals perception, experience, application and preferences :s some people will be perfectly happy forever with a 60Hz IPS monitors others like myself the input latency and residual pixel decay being so obvious on fast movement makes me want to throw up :p

Sadly at the moment I have to use 2 monitors to get the best of both worlds - a 144Hz gaming TN as my main monitor with a 21:9 ultra-wide IPS alongside it.

Associate
I personally went with sacrificing ultimate response time of 1ms to 4ms to get the best angles and colours.

Unless you're spending quite a bit, you have to balance what you want though.
The 'perfect' monitors are at least £500 and that's not even with IPS/PLS/VA features.

Soldato

My own opinion:

You forgot cost though, TN are very affordable screens.

Man of Honour
Top reply there from aatu.

Plus I always thought VA was faster than IPS (given Eizo did a 120Hz 24" VA) but well there you go.

Yes and no - VA have very very fast response times for some transitions which brings the average up but very slow response times for certain transitions especially those involving large black to colour (or it might be the other way around or both) changes which kind of undo it a bit overall.

Soldato
Also just because one panel is faster (or slower) doesn't mean the screen is faster (or slower)

You also have input lag from the processing. I've seen total delay from IPS lower then TN, because the TN monitors have faster delay for example

say for example
TN 4ms GTG with 6ms input lag
IPS 6ms GTG with 2ms input lag

Man of Honour
Even the quoted numbers can be deceptive - I've seen panels that don't look great on paper i.e. the Dell U2913WM is quoted as 8ms (grey to grey) on paper - but performs way better than any other 8ms panel and with gaming settings in the OSD competes with 4ms panels quite easily.

Associate
@kmetek:
According to my sources, there's currently four 27" IPS FreeSync 1440p 144Hz screens available from the more reputable manufacturers (in order of price):
Acer XF270HU
Acer XF270HUA (newer model of the above)
ASUS MG279Q
Eizo Foris FS2735

The little brother of the one I have (XZ321Q), is the the Acer XZ271. But in comparison to the above four 27" monitors, this is VA and 1080p, and it's also curved. Then again, it's also more than £150 cheaper.

@hornetstinger, with regards to the TN pricing:
On some cases, TN is indeed cheaper. But even in those cases you're better off with compromising on other areas for an IPS or VA.

For example, I'm purchasing a Samsung S27F350FHU for my father for 200€ (~£170), which is
- 1080p 27"
- FreeSync (48-72Hz)
- PLS (~IPS)

There's also its similarly specced little brother Samsung S24F350FHU for ~£110.

If focusing more on gaming, I would recommend looking at the earlier mentioned Acer XZ271 for £300, which is
- 1080p 27"
- FreeSync (48-144Hz)
- Curved VA

With those prices, there's little reason to compromise for a TN panel.

Soldato
What happens to Freesync when under the refresh "limit" - does it have some kind of LFC similar to GSync i.e drawing the same frame multiple times?

[Edit] I'm seriously considering something along the lines of IPS, 1440p and Freesync but the current offerings all put me off. There's always some compromise i.e poor QC on most panels. Then the Asus has odd Freesync ranges (high or low but not both). Acer seems to be a lottery regarding support if problems arise. The LG and Samsung PLS/IPS efforts all top out at 70-80Hz. Then the new Samsungs are plagued with reports of flickering, blur and not being able to perform to their advertised refresh rates, and that's before I get onto the fact that you "only" get 1080p and that they seem to have some insatiable need to put a curve on everything!

The Eizo would tick all boxes but retails for close to £1000! I'd expect sexual favours on demand for that kind of money.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom