• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

3770k with 980ti. Is it time to upgrade cpu?

Caporegime
the problem is what you doing with your pc.to deem if its worth it.

for eg i upgraded from a similar platform my cpu ocd (5820k @4.6) at its current speed is x2 speed of a 3770k in firestrike for eg.

so people saying there is no difference are either on the same platform and cant justify it or probably just think there is no difference.

there is a difference.i benched all my games min max avg.some games see 30 -50 percent increase i have tried on minimums.its like night and day smoothness difference.

only problem many dont do benchmarks or only do the highest they see oh no difference.

are the older cpus good yes . is there any difference in the modern cpus ? yes. whether you think its worth the upgrade is your own choice.

Associate

for eg i upgraded from a similar platform my cpu ocd (5820k @4.6) at its current speed is x2 speed of a 3770k in firestrike for eg.

so people saying there is no difference are either on the same platform and cant justify it or probably just think there is no difference.

there is a difference.i benched all my games min max avg.some games see 30 -50 percent increase i have tried on minimums.its like night and day smoothness difference.

only problem many dont do benchmarks or only do the highest they see oh no difference.

are the older cpus good yes . is there any difference in the modern cpus ? yes. whether you think its worth the upgrade is your own choice.

This pretty much. I was watching some benchmark videos using gta 5 between I think it was 3770k 4770k 6600k and 6700k. Benched at stock speeds, overclocked speeds, and what I felt was most important, all CPUs running at the same speed (I think they were all set around 4.4, may be wrong).

The average fps increase from 3770k to 6700k wasn't that big, maybe jumped from 60 to 80 or something. So it changed, but would only matter if you ran a monitor at greater than 60hz, however the minimums were night and day. 3770k can't keep up with 6700k when it comes to minimums. We're talking instead of dipping to 30 at times, to barely dipping below 60 (depending on your settings and gpu of course, as well as which game you're playing).

Like was said above, if you aren't dissatisfied with the performance, it's a waste, but if you think every now and then a game is more choppy than it should be considering the 980 Ti, and it bothers you, maybe consider a newer CPU. Personally I'm on a 3570k @ 4.2 and I'm waiting to see what happens with zen vs kaby lake before I move to a different platform as my compile times are just too high at the minute.

Associate
I'm running at 4k, and i'm seriously considering upgrading a 6700k or 5830 or something
most games its not too bad fifa etc, but on Elder scrolls online for example it's stutters.
I'm not sure if that's because its got poor sli support or what. but it's bugging me.

Is it worth upgrading if i'm running in 4k?

Associate
I wouldn't upgrade if only one game is having slowdown problems. Chances are its the game that's the problem, not your CPU. Checkout forums and see if changing some graphics settings might be the answer. TF2 for instance runs like a dog until you get the chris config!

Associate
you could just buy a smaller 240 gb SSD and a big second drive if you need space that badly.

I got a 240gb SSD for my OS, a second 480 gb SSD for stuff I use regularly, then a 6 TB drive ( was only £160 ) for my hundreds of games.

Soldato

Are you testing with the 3770k overclocked?

Soldato

This man speaks sense. :)

Back
Top Bottom