• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

1366 X58 Xeon 5650

Associate
Just swapped this into my system in place of a 965.

Got her to 3.6 within 30 seconds of going in at stock voltage, what benchmarks do guys use so I can bench this against newer cpu's?

Currently running dual 280x on an Asus Rampage extreme 2.

At £70, I'm super chuffed with grabbing a hex core

Soldato
Cinebench R15, Asus Realbench 2.0, Firestrike (3dmark 13) Physics score.

This is why 1366 boards are now worth their weight in gold, simply because you can bag the equivalent of a 980x for £70.

The same will happen on 2011 too, give it a year and the servers start being broken up and 12 core Xeons with high clocks will cost pennies.

Run those 3 benchmarks, post your results. I run a 3970x so I can give you a rough idea of how far behind Sandybridge E you are.

You've bagged a fantastic CPU there. Should keep you going for a while yet :)

Soldato
I picked up one of those on the bay also. Got mine to 4GHz stable under water. It's benching better than my 4770k @ 4.4GHz :)

Last edited:
Associate
OP
This is at 4.3 gents, I'm sacking it for the night. Could we get some comparisons up?

Score
11918 with AMD Radeon R9 280X(2x) and Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU X5650 @ 2.67GHz

Graphics Score15231

Physics Score14772

Combined Score4081

Soldato
Heres my various Firestrike scores. The X5650 performs brilliantly for its £69 cost!

bench.jpg

Edit, the 780ti is running at stock and the R290 was run at 1050/1325 gpu/memory.

Last edited:
Soldato
This is at 4.3 gents, I'm sacking it for the night. Could we get some comparisons up?

What settings are you using to get to 4.3? I can boot to Windows at 4.3 with 1.35 volts but I blue screen not long after. Memory is around 1300 I think at that point. I'm rock solid at 4GHz at 1.32 with the memory around 1600MHz but wouldnt mind pushing it some more.

Soldato
The W3520 in my benches is effectively the same as the 920 @ 4.2

Exactly the same process to overclock it as the 920

Heres a few more benches ...

bench2.jpg

Soldato
Just bought one - could not resist!

Amazing really, I was thinking of upgrading my X58 setup for X99 but for £69 the Xeon 5650 could really breathe some new life into my setup and keep me going for quite a bit longer if I can get it to overclock to 4-4.2 (on water)

This is gonna scratch the 6 core itch!

Gonna upgrade my ram from 6 to 12 gig now as rams so cheap these days to compliment it.
Anyone got any ideas for the best ram to go for as tri-channel kits dont seem to exist anymore but I am guesing you can just use 2x dual channel kits?

Would a couple of sets of this be ok?
http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=MY-177-KS&groupid=701&catid=8&subcat=1387

:cool:

Last edited:
Soldato
Just bought one - could not resist!

Amazing really, I was thinking of upgrading my X58 setup for X99 but for £69 the Xeon 5650 could really breathe some new life into my setup and keep me going for quite a bit longer if I can get it to overclock to 4-4.2 (on water)

This is gonna scratch the 6 core itch!

Gonna upgrade my ram from 6 to 12 gig now as rams so cheap these days to compliment it.
Anyone got any ideas for the best ram to go for as tri-channel kits dont seem to exist anymore but I am guesing you can just use 2x dual channel kits?

Would a couple of sets of this be ok?
http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=MY-177-KS&groupid=701&catid=8&subcat=1387

Yes you can run that ram. Some X58 boards did not like 1.5v ram but that stuff is specified to run at 1.65v, so you should be absolutely fine :) Running dual channel won't lose you that much performance either. I would bench your rig with the triple channel in, then buy one kit of that ram and see how you get on.

The Xeon you bought is based on Gulftown (or Westmere as it's called in Xeon land) and is on a totally different process to your 920 IIRC. It's not just a 920 with 6 cores.

That's why they easily push beyond 4ghz.

If you're happy having a CPU that old then yes, you certainly shouldn't need to change it for a newer one. Not if your board and everything still work OK.

Enjoy.

Soldato
Yes you can run that ram. Some X58 boards did not like 1.5v ram but that stuff is specified to run at 1.65v, so you should be absolutely fine :) Running dual channel won't lose you that much performance either. I would bench your rig with the triple channel in, then buy one kit of that ram and see how you get on.

The Xeon you bought is based on Gulftown (or Westmere as it's called in Xeon land) and is on a totally different process to your 920 IIRC. It's not just a 920 with 6 cores.

That's why they easily push beyond 4ghz.

If you're happy having a CPU that old then yes, you certainly shouldn't need to change it for a newer one. Not if your board and everything still work OK.

Enjoy.

Cheers,

I'll just get a couple of sets of that ram and obviously I'll only use 3 sticks for the tri-channel.

Can't wait to get this Xeon put in, should be a nice boost in performance and for the money I doubt it can be beaten for bang for buck!

Awesome value!

Last edited:
Soldato
Cheers,

I'll just get a couple of sets of that ram and obviously I'll only use 3 sticks for the tri-channel.

Can't wait to get this Xeon put in, should be a nice boost in performance and for the money I doubt it can be beaten.

Awesome value!

Indeed, I took the view that I'm only really missing out on SATA3 which isnt making a huge difference to me (about 3 seconds extra boot time) and USB3 which I dont use at all.

Soldato
Indeed, I took the view that I'm only really missing out on SATA3 which isnt making a huge difference to me (about 3 seconds extra boot time) and USB3 which I dont use at all.

I've got usb 3 on my board, not that I use it anyway!

And yes I dont think you see much improvement with sata 3.

So overall this should be fine for some time and giving my X58 rig a nice boost.

Hex core for £69 is a blinding deal! New chips are all fine and good but they don't seem to offer much of a boost in performance for the money.

This will definitely keep me going till Skylake comes out.

Soldato

You can buy a SATA 3 PCIE card for peanuts.

I had an Asrock one that cost me £23 and that was about two years ago.

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=CA-252-SV

Just a loose example. If you get one from China it'll run you about a tenner.

Hmm, interesting. Whilst the clock speed does wonders for 3d mark, I've notice whilst stressing all cores 100% the multiplier stays at 20 giving me 3.8 instead of 4.2. This normal?!?

I don't know what version of Turbo Boost your CPU runs but if it's TB 2.0 then your core boost will be staggered. IE - the max turbo is only for one core. Then it slowly drops back until you reach all six.

Here is a shot of my bios (this is an 8 core IBE) but look at how the turbo clocks are laid out.

When you manually set the multi you can only do so using the maximum turbo multi for all of your cores. Hence, it'll be lower. That's if your CPU is TB 2.0. Let me take a look on Intel's ARC.....

OK took a look. Doesn't state what version of TB you are using but I would hazard a guess that my post does explain why you're getting clock inconsistencies.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom