• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The oldest CPU you have in regular use?

Soldato
I have an:

AMD Phenom II X3 720 BE at stock 2.8GHz (Heka core) circa 2009.

To be honest, the thing is just ace.

Currently used for mostly web browsing and Outlook/Office use. Also acts as a TS3 server and a couple of gaming servers and used as a home fileserver along with BitSync.

No gaming but Windows 10 and an SSD. She does me proud.

Last edited:
Permabanned
Xeon E5-1620. First version. In my workstation. Think it was released back in 2012. Needed it since E3's only support a maximum of 32GB of RAM and I needed 64GB to deal with the requirements and general rule of thumb of ZFS on FreeBSD. Rule of thumb is 1GB per 1TB of storage. I currently have 12x2TB discs, so.... All my media is stored on my workstation so ZFS was a requirement for storing it long term and knowing that it's not flipping bits and knowing that my secure media rips are as they were when they were first ripped.

Plus I just like playing around with server grade stuff, whether that's hardware or software.

Last edited:
Associate
I've got an AMD Sempron 3000+, Skt A running XP.

Built the PC in 06 and still use it for some old games that don't support modern GPUs and 64-bit OS.

Associate
A "Katmai" P3-500 running with a Voodoo II and a GeForce 2 GTS, along with 512MB RAM. It was my last DOS-based gaming maching, running Windows 98SE and Windows 2000. I still use it several times a month for playing old games - it's better than using DOSBox! :D

Associate
i have a E7500 2.93GHZ

I use this for playing trackmania and transfering files from PC to other HDD as this is my storage computer, new one getting build this week but i like it as it does everything i need it to!

Associate
An old core 2 duo from 2006 in an occasional webbrowsing machine.

About to upgrade a mates pc so will be taking his old Pentuim 4 system and will try and find a use for it if only as a bit of fun. Going to see how it runs Windows 10 and then probably just build it as a Lbuntu box.

Neither will be anywhere as painful as using the more recent gen 1 Atom cpu in the Mrs' netbook.

Elsewhere the bedroom media SFF PC is a Phenom II 1045T and my sons gaming rig is a Phenom II 965, I HATE retiring old kit and always try to find a use for it somewhere.

Last edited:
Soldato
I've got an athlon XP which was my main PC until 2 years ago (was a 1700+ for about 9 years from new, but replaced with a 2400+ a year or so before building a new rig). Only used now to remote in to work from home, which doesn't happen often :)

Soldato
Have a PC here with a Core 2 Duo E6400 in which my step son uses. With Windows 10, 4GB of RAM and an SSD in it it's actually surprisingly quick for normal use (ie. non gaming/encoding).

The E6400 dates back to 2006/2007 if I remember rightly so it's certainly doing pretty well.

Soldato
i3-2160 in my server. I've unintentionally had the latest generation of some description in all three of my machines (first was the laptop to Haswell, then the server to Haswell, and now the desktop to Haswell-E).

Might move the server to an i7 1150 Broadwell or Haswell at some point however.

Associate
FX 4100 sits in a machine I keep for the other half to browse the net, File Storage etc

it has a R9 290 in it just in case anything happens to mine and I need a quick change until I get up & running

Back
Top Bottom