• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

How much would my CPU bottleneck me?

Soldato
Hi,

Currently running an old i7 2600K at 4Ghz with a GTX970 for 1080p gaming.

Looking to move up to a higher res screen and a GTX1070/80 in a few months' time and wondering how much, if at all, my CPU would bottleneck things?

From what I can tell, even the latest equivalent CPU isn't that much faster than my old workhorse. Wondering if I can get away with just another graphics upgrade or if I need to be budgeting for a whole Skylake mobo/cpu/mem heart transplant?

Soldato
OP
Think it'll do 4.5 happily on air, just never seen the need really.

Found a video review comparing the 2600k with the 6700k with the same graphics card (970). Seems that yes, at 1080p it does make a difference, which is kind of expected, but at 1440p there's very little in it.

Soldato
OP
Well the upgrade happened - come Sunday I'll be running a GTX1080 driving a 3440x1440 screen, so native ultrawide res for games that support it and 2560x1440 for those that don't.

Will compare benches against those with current CPUs to see how they compare I guess. From what I can tell, at higher resolutions like these, the vast majority of games are mainly GPU bound so I should be fine. At some point I do need to do a CPU/mobo/mem heart transplant but can do without dropping another £600 right now.

Back
Top Bottom