• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

6900k or 6850K for new PC

Associate
Hi Folks.

I am planning on getting a new system built for me and would like some advice on the CPU as I am not really a pc tech guy.

The Display I use is the Acer Predator X34 (100hz 3440x1440) and the new PC will only be used for gaming.

So considering the spec and my required needs should I go with the 6900k or the 6850k ?

PC SPEC:

CASE: Corsair Obsidian 900D

MOBO: Asus ROG Rampage v Edition 10

CPU: Intel 6900k or 6850k (OVERCLOCKED)

CPU COOLER: Corsair Hydro h115i

RAM: 64GB (8x8GB) Corsair DDR4 Vengeance LED 2666mhz WHITE LED

GFX: SLI MSI Geforce gtx 1080 Seahawk X (AIO watercooled)

PSU: 1200w Corsair Digital AX1200i

SSD (OS): Samsung 256GB SM961 M.2 SSD

SSD: 1tb Samsung 850 Evo

SSD: 1tb Samsung 850 Evo

OPTICAL DRIVE: Internal or External Blue-Ray & DVD (depends on case)

LIGHTS: NZXT Hue & RGB color changing dual channel internal led controller

HEADPHONES - Sennheiser HD 800

DAC/AMP - Modi 2 and Magni 2

SPEAKERS - Razer Leviathan Soundbar

Thank you.

Associate
OP
Hi Chaparral, thanks for responding.

Yeah I am aware of the cost, My Nan died 4 months ago and that is the reason I can afford to buy a decent PC because she left me some inheritance.

She was always supportive of me being a gamer since the 1980's on the ZX spectrum so this PC is my way of a testament to her memory, However I know that the 6950x is probably overkill for the system as I am only gaming not anything else., so my question stands about the 2 CPU's mentioned.

Associate
OP
I am buying a new machine, I do not want an old CPU surely that would make sense, my question is about the 6900k or the 6850k.

Associate
OP
Does not look like I am going to get a straight answer, so probably best I leave the forums, not the best first impression on the day I joined!

Soldato
If it's just for gaming the X99 CPUs are a bit of a waste of money. There is no difference in performance vs the mainstream I7s in gaming. But they run hotter, use a lot more power and the motherboards are very expensive. They are for serious number crunching really, with gaming on the side. Stick with z170 and Skylake (or Haswell even).

You also don't need 64gb of RAM, unless you plan on running a VM farm :D

Last edited:
Associate
OP
You also don't need 64gb of RAM, unless you plan on running a VM farm :D

I know I do not need 64GB of RAM but that is why I am going for the Vengeance Ram with LED, for aesthetic purposes.

As for your advice on the X99 I appreciate it, however, I am really trying to build a dream pc.
All my pc's in the past have been below par, this is the first time I can push the boat out, so I am happy with the build itself, and just struggling on deciding between the 6900k or 6850k.

Associate
OP
Not with that attitude you won't, good riddance.

I am very sorry if you percieved anything I said for attitude, that was not my intention.

I am just very disappointed in the responces to a simple question, At no point did I ask anyone for financial advice, or to worry about costs or recommend entirely different products, I asked about the 6900k or the 6850k.

Once again if you thought I was showing attitude I apologise.

Soldato
I am very sorry if you percieved anything I said for attitude, that was not my intention.

I am just very disappointed in the responces to a simple question, At no point did I ask anyone for financial advice, or to worry about costs or recommend entirely different products, I asked about the 6900k or the 6850k.

Given your reasons first the spec go for the 6900k or you'll always be thinking you bought second best with the 6850k. Pay a little more for peace of mind :)

Caporegime
If it's only used for gaming then I'd say get a 6850K it is more than enough but given the rest of the your spec I think only a 6900K would do it justice, I also think 64GB is way overkill regardless of CPU even 32GB is more than ample for gaming these days.

Most people on the forum buy into the Intel mainstream platform as it's better value for money so they tend to be biased whenever X99 threads pop up.

I know I do not need 64GB of RAM but that is why I am going for the Vengeance Ram with LED, for aesthetic purposes.

Aren't 4GB modules available?

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Aren't 4GB modules available?

No mate, I did a search and unless I am missing something there are no 4gb modules available with the LEDS. I do not mind paying a little more for the aesthetics anyway,for me it's better than making the compromise.

Soldato

If cost is no issue, why wouldn't you get the 6900K? Why even ask the question or did you think the 6900K might be an inferior product with a higher price tag?

Associate
OP
If cost is no issue, why wouldn't you get the 6900K? Why even ask the question or did you think the 6900K might be an inferior product with a higher price tag?

I asked the question because I was undecided on the CPU, and although I try and keep up to date on most things, CPU's are one of the things that usually pass me by unfortunately (guess that will teach me hehe :) )

Last edited:
Associate
OP
They both have 40 Lanes.

Agree on the PSU, unless the OP already has the AX1200i.

None of it is ordered yet, I am making sure that eveything is right this time (had some stinkers of a PC in the past).

Not even sure where I will go to get it built either.

b4z

b4z

Associate
Here is my opinion on your build:

- You don't need any of that.
- You can build something that will allow you to game properly and happily at a fraction of the cost of the build you have selected.
- Your choices hint towards an idea of "pick the biggest and most expensive item available" under the logic that it will be "the best".
- The reality is the excessive costs of your hardware selection means you are paying above and beyond the more reasonably priced mainstream hardware and that cost difference will not be remotely proportional to the performance difference of the two builds.
- You should always buy smart regardless of how much your budget is.

Have a nice day :)

Back
Top Bottom