• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

3770k with 980ti. Is it time to upgrade cpu?

Associate
I've got a question.
I have a 3770k @4.4ghz, 16gb 2133 ddr3 ram on a maximus gene 1v-zgen3. I Already have a 256gb ocz vertex 3 but want a bigger ssd so thinking about getting a new m.2 nvme ssd but motherboard and cpu doesn't support this. So debating a whole new rig, either 5820k or 6770k with 32gb ddr4 and nice board and said drive.
I'm currently running a highly over clocked 980ti and mainly use PCs for gaming.

Will the 3770k @4.4 max out the Gpu? I game at 1440p.
The 5820k/6700k upgrade options are near enough the same price, about £700. Is this a waste of money just so I can get a m.2 ssd or will I get more out of the 980ti?
I'm at a crossroads as got the itch to upgrade but don't want to waste money either? I just think I need to modernise system at some point.
Would I be better off just getting a bigger ssd on sata 3 but then this would be slower when I do get a new system?
Decisions decisions......

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Just need a bigger ssd. Will get a 500gb Samsung evolution and sack off the idea about m.2 drives as they require a bios edit to get working on my chipset.

Associate
I have a similar setup, and no reason to upgrade your CPU for now.

I recently went to a GTX 1070 and a 1TB Samsung 850 EVO, but have kept the 3770k clocked at 4.3 GHz.

Personally my plan is to upgrade to Kaby lake and Z270 when it's available. Reason being, it'll be ~25% higher IPC than Ivy Bridge, clock higher, and also have Intel Optane drive support (like m.2 SSDs, but faster). And also the Z270 boards will support cannonlake CPUs, which are rumoured to be the first 6-cores on the mainstream platform.

Soldato
I was about to upgrade to x99 for more cores and ddr4, however reading reviews on ram it makes bugger all difference, and neither does the CPU count if you game (from what people are saying) really want to upgrade but... does not seem there is any point other than getting a better video card

Associate
Happily still using my 3770k and 980ti, and with a 21:9 monitor too. Been playing rise of the tomb raider and the like with no problems.

Was also toying with the idea of "upgrading" to a socket 2011 setup, but it's not worth the outlay for the minor benefits (for me anyway). Will wait for another generation or two, or if something needs replacing.

Associate
OP
I was reading this morning that the next version of "E" chipset will be a new socket so I'm going to see if that brings any better increases in performance.

Soldato
Happily still using my 3770k and 980ti, and with a 21:9 monitor too. Been playing rise of the tomb raider and the like with no problems.

Was also toying with the idea of "upgrading" to a socket 2011 setup, but it's not worth the outlay for the minor benefits (for me anyway). Will wait for another generation or two, or if something needs replacing.

+1

In exactly the same situation. Short of having a few more SATA ports and so on there isnt much point really.

Back
Top Bottom