• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

i7 6700 on Stock vs Rhea heatpipe

Associate
So I've just built a cheap i7 6700 skylake sys, using stock cooling atm.
I don't game or OC so went with a
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/asus...151-ddr4-micro-atx-motherboard-mb-684-as.html

Not much point me buying a OC board or an SLI board as I only need a PIC-e & PCI-x (gfx & tv card)

The stock cooling is pretty much ok on an Asus quiet profile (never hits over 75 on a long HD premiere render etc)

I purchased a Rajintek Rhea but am undecided as to install it or not, currently the stock intel cooler is blowing at the cpu, which means the VRM's are getting a bit of cooling too, the Rhea is a heatpipe (like the freezer pro) and that would mean no extra air being blown at the VRM's.
I have 2 X 120mm fans on the front, with a 120mm rear and 140mm top exhaust. (above the cpu)

Would it be worth installing the Rhea? or would the lack of cooling going to the VRM's mean the stock intel is better?

It has been hot here in the UK the last few days (over 26 degrees) so I am bit concerned about temps.

Would you change to the Rhea or stick with the intel?

My case is an NZXT 340 and my hdd is getting a bit toasty atm, 36 degrees
(mechanical storage, not SSD)

Associate
I'd go with the Rhea and face it blowing front-to-back. The stock cooler is totally wrecking the airflow inside your case as well as blowing hot air from the CPU directly on to the VRMs, so they may even run cooler with the Rhea installed.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Thanks for your input, will throw the Rhea in tomorrow, I have Artic silver MX5 too :)
I suppose I was worried about the VRM's, but as I am not overclockling/volting then it should technically not make a difference.

Always nice to hear some advice from people with more experience though!
Thanks!

Associate
OP
So I just fitted the Rhea as didn't get a chance to do it yesterday.

Idle temps are down about 2 degrees and the weather is very warm ambient today, like the last few days where the Intel stock was struggling to keep it around 29 idle, right now I am sitting at 27 degrees.
But where the Rhea outperforms the Intel is under 100% load :)
I noticed a huge dropping of temps.
Rendering out a HD video in Handbrake would get up in to the low 70's if the video was a long render, the Rhea barely touched 60 so about a 10 degree drop under full load!
Those were using the standard fan profile, so I could get better if I ran the fan 100% but I'm happy enough and am anal about acoustics.

For a mere £15 I am well happy with the Rhea and it has given me a huge drop in full load temps for no increase in noise.

I also installed as JanxSpirit suggested, front to back and this has certainly improved the airflow as my mechanical HDD is down to 31 from about 33-35 that is has been the last week, the NZXT case is pretty poor for the HDD ventilation as the cage is at the bottom hidden and not much air can get to it.

Anyway, thanks guys! I'm happy!

EDIT, I should add that I am now using Artic Silver Mx5 instead of the stock Intel tim, so that may account for the huge drop in temps under full load

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom