• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Passive cooling an i5-6500, Nuts?

Soldato
Well that's the spec'd power for the 6500, so I'd go for it.

Depends a bit on the usage too. If you're going to be pushing it I'd be less confident, but for general use I'd take the gamble.

Associate
I would have thought it'd be fine. How long do CPUs run maxed-out under normal office workload anyway? Realistically it's going to be at idle clocks for the majority of its time.

Soldato
OP
It will spend its life as an office business related machine, browsing, videos etc. The current rig is really struggling with things now (Abit AI7 sk478).

My initial plan was to use an old s775 board and xeon L5420. This one sits at 50w so its not much off the 6500. So things changed when I grabbed an Asus H110i Plus D3 and the 6500.

Soldato
Nah, nowhere near the edge. The case will be designed to comfortably cope with a 65W TDP chip. Short of running all cores balls to the wall when gaming or encoding media it'll spend the majority of the time sipping power in a sleep state typically.

Back
Top Bottom