• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

6700 or 6600k (same price)

Soldato
Guess this is the 10 000th time this has been asked on this forum, but I can get a 2nd hand 6700 (non K) or a brand new 6600k for pretty much the same price.

Taking into account longevity, which one will be the better overall option?

Or would I be better just paying for a 6700k?

Cheers guys

Associate
by the sounds of it you are on a budget, getting the 6700 with a h110 motherboard would be the best value option.

however you lose the features of the z170 chipset, and the h110 chipset could be limiting.

I cant really suggest a h170/b150 motherboard because the prices are so close to z170 motherboards that they aren't worth it imho.

as the above users suggested, it depends on the use case and weather you would prefer to get a new or used cpu

Soldato
OP
Not really on a budget, just trying to get the best bang for buck. I've pretty much decided on a 6700k but this deal came up and I'm looking at it. Almost went with a 6850k but couldn't see much value. However, it would appear that there's not much difference when running a 6600k either.

Only use it for gaming. No streaming or editing or running benchmarks. But as someone that upgrade his CPU/Mobo every 3-4 years only, I'm trying to build in some future proofing here.

8pack, what board would I be able to do that with? Never flashed a bios in my life so how much room is there to screw this up?

Soldato
OP
Hehe. That's a philosophical discussion if I've ever seen one :)

What I want may not be what I need. Otherwise I'll just grab a 6950x and be done with it. It's really all within 'budget' anyway. But as I said, I'm only a gamer with no interest in streaming or benching or whatever else people do with performance PCs.

Anyway, I've gone in with a low offer on the 6700 so I'll see if he wants to play. Otherwise I'll just wait it out for Kabylake and grab a 2nd hand one then.

Soldato
OP
I went with the 6700. I got it 2nd hand from an idiot that had it for 3-4 weeks before he realised it was not really overclockable so he went out and got the K version and had to sell this one asap to help pay for it. Got it for pretty much half price as there's not many buyers in NZ for performance chips and the enthusiasts all run K chips. So he was having trouble selling. Only came with a stock cooler but should be fine seeing I'm not overclocking it.

Also saved me money not having to get a Z170 board so all and all a good deal :)

Not really have that much interest in OC'ing and only usually convince myself to go for the expensive stuff before coming to my senses and getting what I need, not what I want :p

Coming off a 8320 that's built for OC'ing (in its way) I ran it at stock 98% of the time.

This will have to last me a good 2-3 years I hope.

Back
Top Bottom