• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The AMD Driver Thread

Soldato
If it was a hardware issue, would it be likely to only affect one monitor though? And especially only on the desktop, as if a card was failing I assume it would be when it's actually at load, and I can play games fine without any issues.

I've tried using the miniDP cable that came with the monitor as well as getting a separate DP cable to rule the cable out as being an issue. Not tried a different port on the card just because if it is a Freesync like loadsamoney noted above, then it would only manifest over DP.

Soldato
Thanks for the heads up!

I've raised a ticket... So we'll see what they say.

TBH, Im counting the days till I jump ship to an NVidia 1070. AMD just seems to be one issue after another after another...

Na, gone are the days when AMD's driver are significantly worse than Nvidia's. They both have problem, just generally different problems. Just have to figure out which ones you can live with the best.

Associate
16.9.1 good, 16.9.2 bad? ?? AMD MATT where are you ... one runs amazing and the other is terrible, any explanation?

what the hell is going on. 16.9.1 is near-perfect runs fine, why would a fool like me even try to update ...

16.9.2 appears fine before .... minor stuttering .... horrible slideshows that only temp-fix with unfocusing and re-focusing the window ....

16.9.1 is a beast driver... stick with it! ?!?!

Soldato
Na, gone are the days when AMD's driver are significantly worse than Nvidia's. They both have problem, just generally different problems. Just have to figure out which ones you can live with the best.

Well, out of a group of us, I'm the only one with AMD, the rest being on NVidia, and I can tell you I'm the one typically have to faff about with issues! As soon as my 1070 of choice drops in prices, or in a month or two, I'm jumping ship!

Soldato
Well, out of a group of us, I'm the only one with AMD, the rest being on NVidia, and I can tell you I'm the one typically have to faff about with issues! As soon as my 1070 of choice drops in prices, or in a month or two, I'm jumping ship!

Ssssshhhh! people get angry if you suggest AMD have worse drivers than Nvidia (especially in the AMD driver thread!)

But they do both have issues, just not always the same issues and they don't always seem to have issues at the same time. So sometimes Nvidia will seem better and other times AMD will, in all likelihood.

Hopefully you'll manage to get around your issues one way or another though (AMD or Nvidia).

Soldato
Ssssshhhh! people get angry if you suggest AMD have worse drivers than Nvidia (especially in the AMD driver thread!)

But they do both have issues, just not always the same issues and they don't always seem to have issues at the same time. So sometimes Nvidia will seem better and other times AMD will, in all likelihood.

Hopefully you'll manage to get around your issues one way or another though (AMD or Nvidia).

Aye both have issues, if you search my name in the NVIDIA driver section you'll see plenty of issues and complaints throughout all of last year.

Since my Fury X though, it's been smooth sailing for me, although both have their issues at times.

Soldato

I've had pretty much none stop issues for a couple of years with my last AMD card and my current one...

Soldato
Anyone having problems with Raptr today? I can't log on with the app - "Unable to contact Raptr.com Please check your Internet connection and try again".

I've change my username or password it instead tells me the username/password is wrong. And I can log into the website with my credentials.

I've rebooted. Re-installed it (as Administrator). Disabled firewalls and AVG... No change...

It is simply a problem with ratpr.com?

And today it's working fine now!

Soldato

Lol, if you think Nvidia are free from driver issues you're going to be sorely disappointed. Honestly don't think I've had so many issues with my 1080 as with them. The previous one was BSOD'ing and freezing with Flash content, the one before that borked the shaders on FO4.. etc. The latest seems to be ok, touch wood.

Associate
I've got both and in my 'current' gen (read: old but still in use, more recent than past cards I've had :p) I never have to faff with my AMD one but my NVIDIA one is a total pain. It's a laptop GPU and I'm blaming that mostly. In the past I've had NVIDIA ones that were fine, think there is a large amount of individual user variance.

Asa

Asa

Associate
So I fancied trying Forza Horizon 3 on my 290 rig. That required Windows 10 Anniversary update, which I duly installed. Then the game demanded the latest AMD driver, which I cleanly installed. It was fine for about 2 days, and then I lost audio over HDMI.

I've DDU'd and reinstalled the new drivers, older drivers, reset Windows 10, uninstalled, disabled, re-enabled and installed audio drivers and all sorts, swapped cables, swapped which card outputs (it's a crossfire rig) but I can't even get the simple Windows test tones to play through my AV unit. Windows troubleshooter suggests it is outputting sound just fine, but and receiver lists a PCM source. I get video output through just fine.

Anybody else have issues with HDMI audio output?

Last edited:
Associate
So I fancied trying Forza Horizon 3 on my 290 rig. That required Windows 10 Anniversary update, which I duly installed. Then the game demanded the latest AMD driver, which I cleanly installed. It was fine for about 2 days, and then I lost audio over HDMI.

I've DDU'd and reinstalled the new drivers, older drivers, reset Windows 10, uninstalled, disabled, re-enabled and installed audio drivers and all sorts, swapped cables, swapped which card outputs (it's a crossfire rig) but I can't even get the simple Windows test tones to play through my AV unit. Windows troubleshooter suggests it is outputting sound just fine, but and receiver lists a PCM source. I get video output through just fine.

Windows 10 always sets my sound to monitor by itself when I dont want that .. for me I have to go to Playback devices find my speakers in the list, and choose Set as Default Device & Set as Default Communication Device I know the chances of you already trying this are really high but I'm only trying to help!

Permabanned

That windows anniversary is a mess, My computer has had numerous issues since installing it and the one still remaining is it's no longer capable of telling the time forcing me to reset it every time I turn my PC on. It's set to set time automatically and has never been a problem before this update.

Asa

Asa

Associate
Thanks for the help. Wouldn't you know, after tearing down my PC and spending hours of valuable frustration on the problem, it turns out that the AV unit was causing the problem. Now to reinstall and reconfigure everything :|

That windows anniversary is a mess, My computer is no longer capable of telling the time forcing me to reset it every time I turn it back on. It's set to set time automatically and has never been a problem before this update.

It removed my Windows store. If I tried to open any store shortcuts (eg to buy the game) it prompted my to browse the store for an application that could open the store. Guess what happened when I clicked that?

Soldato
I'd quite like an Eyefinity mode that retains the individuality of each screen. So, for instance, if I maximise one application it only maximises to the borders of its dominant screen. I'd also like to retain independent/duplicate taskbars on each screen. Launching a game in Eyefinity mode while the desktop isn't set to Eyefinity would also be welcome. Bezel correction while not in Eyefinity mode would also be kind of nice for wallpaper etc.

If there is a way to achieve these things currently I'm in the dark, sorry.

Permabanned
Thanks for the help. Wouldn't you know, after tearing down my PC and spending hours of valuable frustration on the problem, it turns out that the AV unit was causing the problem. Now to reinstall and reconfigure everything :|

It removed my Windows store. If I tried to open any store shortcuts (eg to buy the game) it prompted my to browse the store for an application that could open the store. Guess what happened when I clicked that?

My guess is it told you you can't open anything thru the store without the right app :)

Back
Top Bottom