• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

GTX 1080 Sea Hawk - Too Good To Be True?

Soldato
Got someone selling this new and unused on my local FB selling site for £450. I was sorely tempted but I also believe you don't get something for nothing but that could just be my cynical side. He said an uncle bought it for him and he doesn't need it but no proof of purchase etc.

Worth a punt or will I be on Rip Off Britain next month?

Soldato
OP
Could always ask to test / see the card working? It could be stolen, but it could also be the seller has no concept of its worth or just wants to make a quick buck.

He knows it's worth £800+. Not sure if it's a grey import thouh and I think I'd need the shop data to register it. I think I had to do that with my current 980ti.

Associate
He's showing pics of it and shows the serial number which I've checked it and it's a genuine number. Someone might get a bargain but I think I'll pass on it.

All that proves is that he saw a card and photographed it. You're wise to walk away. Someone will not be getting a bargain, they'll be getting stiffed.

Soldato
If the # matches up with the one he's got and can provide a invoice for original purchase he might just want a quick sale to buy something else or isn't aware of how much he could get for it.

Soldato
Ask him if he has a paypal account and pay via paypal guest. That way you can get your money back if its a dud.
Also if his Uncle bought it him he might not know the true price plus it could be plausable as a well known online catalogue site are selling it so you could be surprised that it might be genuine.
btw how is this being sent ? Pick up or post ? If its post use paypal guest for protection if its pickup then you can see it working before paying.
Worth a punt its a very good cool running card. Not really OC'd mine properly but chucked 200mhz on core and 250mhz on memory and it was doing 2152mhz/2600mhz and stable! Benchmarked it a bit and didnt go over 56c.

Soldato
OP
It would be pickup if I did buy it. He's now done another thread on FB with more new stuff and put the price of the card up to £500 now. He's also got some ram and a 1TB Samsung Evo 850 for £150.

I'm tempted to go for both of these items but when I messaged him yesterday he said he didn't have an invoice etc which just makes me more wary.

Soldato
thats some great prices for ssd i picked up 840 evo 1 tb on ocuk forums year or so back for 200 quid .

if it is local you can always check it out if it is real or some sort a scam don't go alone

Soldato
OP
thats some great prices for ssd i picked up 840 evo 1 tb on ocuk forums year or so back for 200 quid .

if it is local you can always check it out if it is real or some sort a scam don't go alone

It's about 50 mins down the M4 for me and I could always take the Mrs. I'd insist on meeting at his house though and testing before I bought.

Associate
Is it just me or are we ignoring the elephant in the room here?

The price sounds great, as does the price on the other bits hes selling, however if its cash on collection only and so far below what they sell for on the auction site, then I'd imagine they are stolen.

Don't get me wrong it might just be someone who wants to deal face to face, not have the hassle of selling on the auction site but it definitely sounds fishy with him not having invoices as well.

Associate
Is it just me or are we ignoring the elephant in the room here?

The price sounds great, as does the price on the other bits hes selling, however if its cash on collection only and so far below what they sell for on the auction site, then I'd imagine they are stolen.

Don't get me wrong it might just be someone who wants to deal face to face, not have the hassle of selling on the auction site but it definitely sounds fishy with him not having invoices as well.

Exactly, so blatantly stolen. Wouldn't go near out of principle.

Soldato
doubt it its stolen how you steal 1080gtx specially hawk , mostly stolen goods consist of laptops tablets etc,

edit: i would still check it out without cash in hand if i was satisfied with product and a person who is selling it then go take out cash ATM or etc ,come back and get the goods .

Last edited:
Associate
doubt it its stolen how you steal 1080gtx specially hawk , mostly stolen goods consist of laptops tablets etc

If it's not stolen why no invoices?

Also, this isn't a common 1080. The story about his uncle buying it makes no sense, why would he pick a very specific and hard to find high-end 1080 for his relative. Makes no sense.

Back
Top Bottom