• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Is it worth overclocking a 970?

Soldato
Not much experiance in the field, did my 2500k a while back but never played with a gpu

Is it worth doing?

Also debating my next upgrade move, as i already own a 970 would i be best served to go sli or get a 980ti and sell my current card

Soldato
It will overclock very well, whether the difference is noticeable and worth it is purely down to your own perception. Personally I don't think it's worth it for the very minor improvements.

Soldato
I'd say it depends on the game and settings.

For example, in GTA V, with the settings I like to use, the overclock on my 970 prevents fps falling below 50 in grassy areas. Basically, it improves fps by 5 in difficult areas to render, and by 10 or so in easier areas to render. Sure, I could lower a setting or two, but this way I can keep it looking that bit nicer.

So it's not a huge thing but it can be a nice thing.

Permabanned
Definitely don'y bother upgrading yet, You are on the latest gen from Nvidia so just wait for the new card which should be quite close, Plus this gen move also includes a die shrink so expect more performance, for less money with a smaller footprint.

Associate
is it still worth overclocking if running in SLI mode? my 970's are running most games at 60fps on max settings except ARK survival evolved and not sure how to get better FPS on it

Soldato
OP
is it still worth overclocking if running in SLI mode? my 970's are running most games at 60fps on max settings except ARK survival evolved and not sure how to get better FPS on it

Pretty sure thats due to the game being not too well optimised at the mo perhaps, but maybe it will help!

Back
Top Bottom