• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

4790k 4 Core @ 4.4 Ghz V Xeon 6 Core 5650 @ 4ghz - GTX 1080

Caporegime
So for some fun and for curiosity, I tested my 1080 in my Gaming PC 4790K running t 4.4ghz and then tested it in my music studio PC Xeon 6 core running at 4ghz.

I was interested in whether PCI -e 2.0 or 3.0 made any difference.And I wanted to know whether running 2 x 1070 sli in my X58 setup would be detrimental to performance as my S1150 gaming PC is not an SLI mobo.

Seems to be that both systems are pretty much the same in Firestrike and the 2 extra cores of the xeon make up for the 400mhz extra clock of the 4790k. (give or take a few hundred points)

0RzW1Qll.jpg

LmuScbh.jpg

So if you are on an aging system and have or want to try sli don't worry too much about being cutting edge...I'm really impressed with my Xeon X58 system.

Its holding its own despite pci-e 2.0 and 400mhz less speed... (hopefully pascal drivers will sort out any sli issues currently)

I'm now toying with the idea of swapping pc's over...X58 becomes by Gaming rig as its sli ready and I might try out 2 x 1070 to drive my predator x34 and moving the 4790k pc into my recording studio for Pro Tools use.:cool:

I certainly don't think I will gain anything huge by getting a socket 1150 mobo just for sli It will just cost me money...

The xeon runs at 48c full load under water so I might see if I can get it up to 4.2ghz

Hope some find this interesting. :p

Cheers

easy

EDIT : UPDATE

Update

4.4ghz Xeon V 4.4ghz 4790k

Xeon wins :D Remarkable really considering the age of this X58...Ok its got two extra cores but still!

Intel X58
Southbridge(s) ICH10
Miscellaneous
Release date(s) November 2008

8 years ago

zIHmvW2.jpg

Last edited:
Associate
Funny this cause I am rocking a 2500k but have been offered a x5670 and am trying to find out if worth it. This seems to be the closest I can find to an answer.
depends on the game really, on some games that are single thread depended or have one dominate thread over the others you will lose performance by going to x5670, on others that scales well with many cores you will gain performance.

Caporegime
OP
Update

4.4ghz Xeon V 4.4ghz 4790k

Xeon wins :D Remarkable really considering the age of this X58...Ok its got two extra cores but still!

Intel X58
Southbridge(s) ICH10
Miscellaneous
Release date(s) November 2008

8 years ago

zIHmvW2.jpg

Associate
+1

I am hoping to drop a 1080 into my current rig and was hoping a i7 970 @ 4.15GHz on PCI 2.0 wouldn't bottleneck it too much.

Very interested in the o/c Xeon results
from my experiences with the x58 I wouldn't go with anything higher than a 980 or equivalent. people forget that 3Dmark equals not real gaming performance.

Associate
In pretty much every game ipc over core count. Synthetics are designed for core count, most games even now are not.

Newer games are now better at multi-threading tho. The division loves threads. It is butter smooth using all 12 threads evenly on my i7 970.

Also many games use more than 4 cores / threads. BF4 uses 6 from memory on my rig. That's a big handicap for i5's without HT (for example).

Caporegime
OP
Newer games are now better at multi-threading tho. The division loves threads. It is butter smooth using all 12 threads evenly on my i7 970.

Also many games use more than 4 cores / threads. BF4 uses 6 from memory on my rig. That's a big handicap for i5's without HT (for example).

True,

A couple of years back having a quad was enough...i5 for gaming....

But HT and cores do makes things faster...in today games....Fact.

Its amazing that PCI-E 2.0 is no difference to PCI-e 3.0 with a cutting edge GFX card either...

Associate

Theres is not actually that many that do and in pretty much all of the cases a 4790k would present higher mins than the xeon or 970.

Back
Top Bottom