• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD VEGA confirmed for 2017 H1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Permabanned
AMD update on VEGA launch.

14a35a5e64.png

Source https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/4zr8co/amd_said_vega_is_coming_in_h1_of_2017_in_a/

https://forums.anandtech.com/threads/amd-vega-coming-in-1h-2017.2484851/

Soldato
I suppose something had to give with AMDs run of positive news. :(

Getting Vega out earlier=delay to Polaris, which quite clearly doesn't work going off the past two gens.

Cutting into your compettors market share and increasing your own far outweighs getting a very low volume high end card to market.

AMD are very irrelevant for the majority of us on this forum sadly now.

Agreed, but it's a slow recovery, roles were reversed years back but Nv managed it and look where they are now.

Whether AMD can do it as quick remains to be seen.

Down side to it for everyone in that performance bracket is performance advancement has reduced/cost increased due to lack of competition imo.

Last edited:
Associate
A full release of Vega and Zen in q1 2017 makes more sense than a limited stock launch in q4 2016 which would just annoy those who want it, create ill feeling, and lose any momentum their marketing has built up.

Not really sure if that is true, as most people are in need of an upgrade right now with BF1 and Deus Ex etc.

Soldato
AMD are very irrelevant for the majority of us on this forum sadly now.

I disagree. For years, if people have wanted the very best performance, Nvidia was and still is the way to go (looking at you Titan range). However, AMD have consistently offered products that, while they may not have as high a performance, they've come close performance wise, but at a cheaper price than the Nvidia card they're competing with. There has, though, obviously been a few Nvidia stand outs, like the 970 and now the 1070.

I think, though, that Vega will likely fill the void between the 1070 and 1080 on both price and performance. Which for some people, can make all the difference when trying to justify costs.

Last edited:
Permabanned
I think, though, that Vega will likely fill the void between the 1070 and 1080 on both price and performance. Which for some people, can make all the difference when trying to justify costs.

If Vega comes in between those two (as many of us have been guessing at for ages) and Nvidia are releasing Volta not long after, all it does is cement them as the weaker cousin that will always be playing catch up.

All I want is for AMD to provide us with a card I feel confident will run 3440x1440 well for several years so I can get my freesync monitor, At this rate I'll be buying a G-sync model, I would've already but I'm not confident in Nvidia's cards for a long period, At least not until we get there true DX12 cards.

Man of Honour

They will have to be doing better than that (with vega) by the end of 1H 2017 or they truly will be irrelevant.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom