Aorus Owner's Lounge

Associate
Hi Xrkc6x,

Not sure about 3 drives as Chuffbaby mentioned, as I only saw space for two (the original plus the extra one). Although he may be referring to a different model, mine is the x3 plus v5.

The torx screws are Tx5 or Tx6 I think. I wasn't sure so I ordered a set of small screwdrivers from Amazon (http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B009ODV0PI?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00).

I've been burned before with low quality small screwdrivers rounding out the screwheads. These are quality screwdrivers and I didn't feel like they would destroy the screws in the laptop at all so very happy with them, although they are £30 for the set, but as it includes phillps head, flathead etc I'm sure I'll get enough use out if it justify the spend :)

Associate
Hi Xrkc6x,

Not sure about 3 drives as Chuffbaby mentioned, as I only saw space for two (the original plus the extra one). Although he may be referring to a different model, mine is the x3 plus v5.

The torx screws are Tx5 or Tx6 I think. I wasn't sure so I ordered a set of small screwdrivers from Amazon (http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B009ODV0PI?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00).

I've been burned before with low quality small screwdrivers rounding out the screwheads. These are quality screwdrivers and I didn't feel like they would destroy the screws in the laptop at all so very happy with them, although they are £30 for the set, but as it includes phillps head, flathead etc I'm sure I'll get enough use out if it justify the spend :)

thanks a lot man! appreciated! yes I saw 2 spaces as well not three, mine is x3 plus v5 same as you :)

Associate
Hi Xrkc6x,

what would you suggest? just start from scratch once installed the second ssd or use the intel sw to add the ssd to the raid0?

Associate
I wanted to avoid having to re-install as I think the Aorus guys have done a lot of tuning to the Windows 10 install, so I've left mine as a second drive, so I have a ~512GB C: and a ~512GB D:.

I think the primary reason for RAID is either performance or fault tolerance. If you're not going for fault tolerance (which would have to be a mirror/RAID1 with two drives meaning you lose 512GB of space), then it would be performance. But given these drives are so quick anyway (something like 1GB write and 2GB read), I don't see the need for RAID.

I think in this instance, using RAID0 would be a problem if one of your drives stopped working. Eg, if my second drive stops working, it won't affect the O/S or anything and I'll just buy a replacement. If it was in a RAID0 config, I assume the whole laptop would be stuffed and you have to replace the second drive and restore from backup (as there is no fault tolerance with RAID0). I may be missing something though so happy to be corrected.

If you really want a 1TB drive you could use mount points/folders, however I prefer to have the two drives separated and manage myself where my data goes.

Eg, I prefer to separate my virtual machines over the two drives as I know which VM's I'll be running at the same time For example, I can split 6 VM's that I know run at the same time evenly over the drives (3 on each), wheras as RAID may spread them differently depending on how they are written to (eg, 5 on 1 drive and 1 on the other). I know it works slightly differently to that when striping across the disks, but just keeping my example simple.

In any case, I've just kept things simple and left the Windows 10 default install by Aorus (upgraded via app store to Windows 10 Pro for £99 as I need bitlocker) and a ~512GB C: and ~512GB D:.

Up to you on RAID/reinstall, but I prefer to keep it simple :)

Let me know if that helps?

Associate
I wanted to avoid having to re-install as I think the Aorus guys have done a lot of tuning to the Windows 10 install, so I've left mine as a second drive, so I have a ~512GB C: and a ~512GB D:.

I think the primary reason for RAID is either performance or fault tolerance. If you're not going for fault tolerance (which would have to be a mirror/RAID1 with two drives meaning you lose 512GB of space), then it would be performance. But given these drives are so quick anyway (something like 1GB write and 2GB read), I don't see the need for RAID.

I think in this instance, using RAID0 would be a problem if one of your drives stopped working. Eg, if my second drive stops working, it won't affect the O/S or anything and I'll just buy a replacement. If it was in a RAID0 config, I assume the whole laptop would be stuffed and you have to replace the second drive and restore from backup (as there is no fault tolerance with RAID0). I may be missing something though so happy to be corrected.

If you really want a 1TB drive you could use mount points/folders, however I prefer to have the two drives separated and manage myself where my data goes.

Eg, I prefer to separate my virtual machines over the two drives as I know which VM's I'll be running at the same time For example, I can split 6 VM's that I know run at the same time evenly over the drives (3 on each), wheras as RAID may spread them differently depending on how they are written to (eg, 5 on 1 drive and 1 on the other). I know it works slightly differently to that when striping across the disks, but just keeping my example simple.

In any case, I've just kept things simple and left the Windows 10 default install by Aorus (upgraded via app store to Windows 10 Pro for £99 as I need bitlocker) and a ~512GB C: and ~512GB D:.

Up to you on RAID/reinstall, but I prefer to keep it simple :)

Let me know if that helps?

the main reason why I wanted to upgrade to RAID0 and not RAID1 was the performances, I come from "simple" SSD vertex4 OCZ in RAID0 so I wasn't aware about the r/w speeds achievable with these beasts, so I assume I would go for a config like yours, especially cause I will mainly use the laptop for my virtual labs and I DO NOT WANT to have problems, especially when the achievable performances won't change a lot...

Associate
Been thinking of ordering the x3 v5 and just importing it. Spoke to a few US vendors and they're saying Gigabyte told them to expect January launch stateside, which is frankly ridiculous.

Anyone have voltage or customs issues when ordering from Overclockers and living across the pond?

Associate
Any indication yet as to when the X3 V5 will be relisted? Have been waiting to get paid and now that I have the money ready the laptop has been taken down. Super excited to order one of these.

AORUS Rep
Vendor Rep
Any indication yet as to when the X3 V5 will be relisted? Have been waiting to get paid and now that I have the money ready the laptop has been taken down. Super excited to order one of these.

Hi AshamanAndr3w,

For Your Information, there is a delivery of small quantity of AORUS X3 V5, on way from Taiwan to OcUK right now. We expect it to arrive on Friday.

We will advise OcUK on this ETA and get the product re-listed for pre-order.

Hope that clarifies for you,

Regards,

Gigabyte UK NB Team

AORUS Rep
Vendor Rep
Hi Atom,

Any luck with confirming the RAM compatibility as yet?

Also - do you (or Bailey) know if it's possible to purchase additional power supplies and if so, where from?

Cheers

Ok so thanks for the info, I assume it's better to run a clean install once installed the second drive?

You mentioned you have three drives? Is this machine supporting 3?

So I need specific screw driver? Which one?

RE ram-> please keep us posted

Thanks Aorus Team!!! Santa came early this year... Thanks a lot!

Hi Both,

Great news, the 16GB ram moddule from Transcend has passed all testing conducted by HQ R&D team.

The part number of the module tested is:

TRANSCEND Memory DDR4-2133 16GB (TS2GSH64V1B-SB)

Trust that helps.

Regards,

Gigabyte UK NB Team

Associate
Hi Both,

Great news, the 16GB ram moddule from Transcend has passed all testing conducted by HQ R&D team.

The part number of the module tested is:

TRANSCEND Memory DDR4-2133 16GB (TS2GSH64V1B-SB)

Trust that helps.

Regards,

Gigabyte UK NB Team

thanks a lot, I am "asking google" where to buy them :) if I will find a place I will post the link :) OC UK doesn't have that

Associate
thanks a lot, I am "asking google" where to buy them :) if I will find a place I will post the link :) OC UK doesn't have that

yes I quote myself lol ahahahah anyway, these looks having less performance than the Kingston and than the 2x8gb modules included with the laptop........

AORUS Rep
Vendor Rep

AshamanAndr3w,

Product now live again for pre-order.

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/aoru...x-970m-6gb-gddr5-gaming-laptop-lt-018-au.html

From talking to OcUK today, they think they stock will be ready to ship on Monday.

Hope that helps,,,

Regards,

Gigabyte UK NB Team

Associate
yes I quote myself lol ahahahah anyway, these looks having less performance than the Kingston and than the 2x8gb modules included with the laptop........

I had a look as well and can't really see where to buy any for now, however good to know for the future when they are more readily available.

I think RAM is so fast now anyway any performance drop wouldn't really be noticeable (I hope) :).

Cheers Atom for confirming this info - really appreciate it.

Associate
I had a look as well and can't really see where to buy any for now, however good to know for the future when they are more readily available.

I think RAM is so fast now anyway any performance drop wouldn't really be noticeable (I hope) :).

Cheers Atom for confirming this info - really appreciate it.

i couldn't find any :( I was gonna buy the kingston you liked but I have fear they won't be 110% compatible ...

Associate
Thanks Atom, that's great news!

May I ask a few quick questions -

1. This will be my first laptop / pc purchase in years. Is the Aorus x3 plug in and play from the box or is there any specific set up required?

2. Have the issues that seen some of the original batch of x3's released, been resolved.

Thanks
Andrew

Associate

1. This will be my first laptop / pc purchase in years. Is the Aorus x3 plug in and play from the box or is there any specific set up required?

2. Have the issues that seen some of the original batch of x3's released, been resolved.

Thanks
Andrew

Atom will be more precise than me for sure but I can tell you that support is GREAT and:

1. plug&play
2. I had no time yet (unfortunately it is true) to test if my machine is working perfectly but I know for sure, based on the email communications with Atom, that all issues have been resolved now otherwise they were not going to stock it back again without testing :)

enjoy your new future laptop with peace of mind :D

Associate

Thanks
Andrew

Atom will reply officially, however the one I received on the 27th Nov has been faultless so far. Really happy with it. Aorus setup Win 10 really well so you should be good to go out of the box. Check out my previous post from a few days back where I did a longer review of the unit and let me know if you have any questions....

Cheers

AORUS Rep
Vendor Rep

Thanks
Andrew

Hello again AshamanAndr3w,

As existing owners have hopefully already assured you, there is no need for us to be any more detailed with the responses to your 2 points.

1. Yes the laptop is "plug and play" - of course there may be driver updates and normal PC orientateed tasks that the system will perform on initial boot up, but these will be minimal as the units will have latest drivers and updates installed last week :)

2. Yes, the problem identified with the first delivery have now been cured and the stock is 100% clear of any glitches.

You can order with confidence, of course this is technology and no-one can guarantee that everything is perfect everytime. However, what we can guarantee is that if anyone experiences any problems, we will always endeavour to resolve to your satisfaction.

Hope that clarifies for you.

Regards,

Gigabyte UK NB Team

Associate
Thanks everyone for the reassurances. I took time to read through all the posts on this board and I'm delighted to see the excellent level of customer support from both Gigabyte and OCuk. I'm excited now to get my order in - however with commitments and making the usual festive season purchases for the other half/family etc it may be the 18th now before I submit my order.

Until then I will likely be on the website every day checking stock levels and hoping and praying that come the 18th stock is available to order. Oh and let's not forget constantly watching YouTube videos of unboxings, reviews and performance tests in the meantime.. It's going to be a long 15 days...

Associate
So, once again I have re-ordered the v5, I really hope it would be flawless. Will be receiving tomorrow.
How do I get the additional warranty and following listed items?
Regards
We would like to assure the customer affeccted by this issue that once the producct retuns to OcUK and new units are shipped in exchnage, we will:

• Provide 1 year additional warranty cover (3 years in total)

• AORUS HOODIE

• AORUS T-SHIRT

• GAMING MOUSE PAD

• GAMING GLASSES

We believe the addditional 1 year warranty shows our commitment and belief in the product quality and longevity, and the additional items further show our commitment to giving our customers something extra in light of falling short of what we know end users expect from a premium brand.

We trust this will compensate for this unfirtunate turn of events.

Regards,

Gigabyte UK NB Team

Back
Top Bottom