• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

CPU temp -what is too hot?

Associate
A friend of mine has an i5-2500k 3.3ghz cpu on an Asus P8Z68-V Gen3 mobo. She is getting the occasional bsod and I asked her to install the Asus monitoring software.
The fans are all working around 900rpm including the CPU fan but the cpu temperature can reach 83C after a long usage.
Although since installing the monitoring software there have been no bsods, is 83 too hot and could that be the cause of the crashes?
I should point out she uses on board graphics and doesn't play games, it's mostly office work and photos or music.

Associate
Is it overclocked and is it using a stock cooler?

The current cooler may also need reseating, as it may not have good contact with the CPU.

When I had my 2500K, I had it clocked at 4.4GHz and it never went over 70C.

Last edited:
Associate
Not overclocked. It is using a stock cooler though.
Sounds like it's too hot doesn't it?

Yes it dose, I would reseat the cooler first. By clearing all the old thermal paste off and appling some new. If it's still running hot after that, may be worth looking at a new cooler.

Though the problem could also be the case and the fan set.

Associate
Does sound on the hot side for sure. The stock coolers are pretty basic but at stock speeds it should be OK. It could just need re-seating and re-pasting along with a good clean out of any dust.

Is the PC sitting next to a radiator by any chance? That can cause crazy stock temps.

Associate
OP
Thanks for the replies folks. The PC was sitting under a desk too close to the back panel for the rear fans to be effective, it has been moved slightly forward now. It also sits directly on a carpet.
Will take on board the suggestion to reseat the cooler and take it from there.

Back
Top Bottom