** EARLY BIRD CATCHES THE WORM: CYBER MONDAY 8 PACK ELITE TIER FORUM ONLY DEAL!! **

Associate
We don't normally do bundles on today only offers as they use two seperate discount systems, hence the issues in getting the price and was price correct.

We won't be changing price again now and I believe website is struggling with demand and we now only have 6 bundles left.

The deal wasn't for me this year, already got a new system. Just noticed it and wondered if you knew about it.

I'll be ready next year though :)

Associate
Its higher because I have not being able to get to the office this morning so a colleague has had to activate the deal. :)

Its £4 on a product where over £200 is saved, the price won't be changing again now in case it breaks the site.

yeah, its only £4, but when you have £725 ready and have no chance to add more funds today because of business account limitations, then its a problem... well as I said, will go for skylake and for a difference will be able to get a new 27' monitor

Associate
Thanks

Not got this far yet, ended up going out for 5 mins to sort out a friend and his tablet and it turned in to 5 hours. This evening I hope, although I'm going to plug my M.2 drive in to the ASUS carrier I bought at the same time.

No problem.

I see a few people have gone for that Asus carrier? Can you copy the the link to the right one please.

It has been a frustrating build this time round. The last one I did was such a breeze.

I can't get windows to load now from my cd. :confused:

Setup was unable to create a new system partion or locate the existing one. I have tried everything, still no luck. :(:(

Associate
I haven't tried it yet so I couldn't say how it'll sound with your ki sig (old favourites of mine the ki gear)

Simple answer is to try it - if it sounds right it is right!

I haven't looked properly at the Mobo yet (at work today) but I think the burr brown output amp is upgradable? It'll probably sound fine as it is, seeing as your putting it through the Marantz amp
I have an auzentech x-fi prelude which I'll be using with it - because I have one.
I'll be using external io boxes for monitoring music I'm recording.
The audio side of the board seems to be well reviewed so it may well work for you.
What are you listening to? - if it's mp3 you probably won't hear the difference.

Trust your own ears on it above anything else
We have all kinds of metering at work but I always trust my ears first

ps. sorry I missed your question - working on live TV show today, so a bit busy

the sound core 3d is ok it's not perfect to me the difference between a good soundcard and the sound core 3d on my last GB mobo was noticeable. But it will do you just fine till you can buy an external dac.

cheers for the reply's i guess ill have to try it out when it comes to see if i like the on board sound or not. i want to keep the pc looking as clean as possible inside so ideally to sound card gets sold, with having a sound card ssd adapter and titan x and possibly a second titan x later down the line it all starts getting a bit messy

OcUK Staff
The £4 price increase is because we ran out of the 1g Thermal Grizzley paste and now we are using the larger size. So end users are getting more thermal paste now. Its not a £4 addition for the sake of it.

Oh dear Darren!! That statement in its self is not elite tier!!

To install Windows to the NVME drive you need to make sure the bios is set up correctly for this in terms of UEFI settings.

I think the on-board sound will be good enough for you to be honest. Its a decent solution.

Associate
yeah, its only £4, but when you have £725 ready and have no chance to add more funds today because of business account limitations, then its a problem... well as I said, will go for skylake and for a difference will be able to get a new 27' monitor

surly a family member would transfer £5 into your account? i almost feel like giving you £5 since it that time of the year lol

Soldato
Oh dear Darren!! That statement in its self is not elite tier!!

:D. Not quite sure what you mean by that, but why pay more for something that was say x amount lower? (not talking about the £4 change :) ). Picked up a sofa recently £300 less than the RRP price because I told the company it was that much cheaper in their recent sale a month ago and wasnt prepared to pay more than that.

That's not me whinging, the price was very good and still is, just not right for me

Last edited:
OcUK Staff
OP
Still a very good price but one of my shopping rules is to not pay more than the best deal price, so was a no-goer for me.

I also have a rule when I am in the market for something and I can get it at either a considerable saving over regular pricing or considerably cheaper than elsewhere from a reputable trust worthy company.

I BUY IT!!

I don't care if the price moves £5, £10, £20 or £50 if I am still saving it gets ordered. :)

MGP

MGP

Soldato
Sunday proved to be a challenging day pulling apart the old PC and then unboxing, studying manuals for new toys, and putting bits together. I'm sure the experienced would take but a few minutes, but this was a day's task :D

Assembling the cooler mounting proved a bit trial and error. A brief diagram might have helped. I appreciate that it was designed as OEM type kit, and probably used mostly by OcUK staff, but for someone who last put a PC together in 2011 it was a bit of guesswork. I eventually decided you but the mounting plate on from underneath first, and this then rotates slightly so the tabs will engage into the cooler. The plastic ring, will only fit one way from the underside, and then should engage into the mounting plate. I also came to the conclusion that the thermal paste on the cooler should be removed and replaced with the thermal grizzley goo. Now if I've got that wrong .....

Like a couple of others I've also had some fun and games getting the board / windows to recognise my existing SSDs, especially the Samsung Evo that had been the boot drive on my i7 2600K. The PC finally found it this morning and windows then wanted to do the complete chkdsk thing.

I had feared the radiator fans would be too loud. OK I am aware they are there at full speed, but they are quieter than the Corsair H100 I had before when that was at full tilt. So it's all good. Once I find a couple more fan cables hopefully I'll be able to reduce some of those speeds too, as I don't expect to permanently overclock.

All in all a good set of kit, and when you consider the Black Friday price, excellent.

Soldato
I also have a rule when I am in the market for something and I can get it at either a considerable saving over regular pricing or considerably cheaper than elsewhere from a reputable trust worthy company.

I BUY IT!!

I don't care if the price moves £5, £10, £20 or £50 if I am still saving it gets ordered. :)

So I couldn't refuse this deal despite it not fitting my ideal HAF XB EVO case and now having looked at my old Thermaltake Armor tower case. That's not ideal either even though it will fit an EATX motherboard!

So choice now is making a custom motherboard tray and seeing if it will fit in the HAF XB and not use any SATA ports as they'll probably be too close to the front of the case. Shouldn't be an issue as I also ordered 2nd NVMe drive with a PCIE adapter. My current SSD RAID can stay with the old system board.

Or remove the PSU from the top of the Tower as it's a bit "old school" in it's position and create a rad mount at the top.

Oh well nicely timed as I have the next few days off to tinker.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom