• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

phenom 2's

Caporegime
It's a good upgrade for AM2 owners, almost C2Q level performance is nothing to be sniffed at.

I can't see why anyone with a S775 rig already would take the AMD route though and that'll be AMD's problem.

Last edited:
Soldato
It's a good upgrade for AM2 owners, almost C2Q level performance is nothing to be sniffed at.

I can't see why anyone with a S775 rig already would take the AMD route though and that'll be AMD's problem.

Well for people like me,still sitting here on a skt 939 system,at least it widens the choice a bit!

Associate
There is a normal and Black Edition.

OCUK don't have the black edition otherwise it woul dbe listed in the other's specs.
The 940 is the black edition, it just isn't written.

In addition to Dragon platform technology, individual AMD Phenom II X4 processors will be available from AMD channel e-tailers at launch:

AMD Phenom II X4 940 Black Edition processor – (3.0GHz) – $275 MSRP...

Source (Official AMD press release).

Official AMD pricing. This doesn't list any 940 other than the black edition :)

Soldato
Though this is a Black Edition version, you do not need to purchase the BE version. The regular Phenom II X4 940 is 100% the same performance wise, yet has its multiplier locked, which makes overclocking a bit more difficult. The regular Phenom II X4 940 is also clocked at 3.0 GHz, with the same cache sizes and the same 125 watt TDP (peak processor wattage). So remember, the only difference is the unlocked multiplier.

http://www.guru3d.com/article/amd-phenom-ii-x4-920-and-940-review-test/7

Associate
Read most the reviews now (well the conclusions :p). Phenom2 seems to be slightly slower then 45nm intel quads clock for clock, but the diffrence is very minor and doesnt take into account overclocks. Not bad for a first release, competing against late revisions of core2quads.

With the extra 5-10% boost for AM3, it should easy pass the core2 clock for clock speeds. But till those are out its just a guess.

Overclocking seems good, altho some sites have made good atempts and others still cant seem overclock AMD well (as they are use to doing intel overclocks). These chips should keep up with even the more costly core2quad chips comparing max overclocks.

Cant wait to see what future releases can do, as this is just the start.

Soldato
so i dont know much about cpu's and haven't been falowing phenom 2 infos i have am2 not + motherboard will it run fine on that? it's asus m2r32 mvp btw.. :)

Associate
I phoned the shop and apparently it isn't the BE :(

I must say I'm surprised. Up to now AMD has only been talking about a regular 920 and a 940BE. If we're being palmed off with non-BE 940's now I think AMD is shooting themselves in the foot as they need all the good will and competitive advantage they can get, and this frankly sucks after all the 6 GHz overclocking hype.

Can we confirm the 940's available really are multiplier locked ?

Caporegime
I must say I'm surprised. Up to now AMD has only been talking about a regular 920 and a 940BE. If we're being palmed off with non-BE 940's now I think AMD is shooting themselves in the foot as they need all the good will and competitive advantage they can get, and this frankly sucks after all the 6 GHz overclocking hype.

Can we confirm the 940's available really are multiplier locked ?

remember the majority of sales are to OEM's where the extra £5 for an unlocked cpu isn't worth it. Also locking most of the chips especially for oem's who can't then simply change the bios and call them higher end chips at some point. Black editions really are for retail and the locked for oem's, though theres plenty of home users who won't overclock and don't want to pay more for the ability.

Soldato
I wouldn't be buying these chips from OcUK until they sort the prices out, it's the typical new release here. Price high and grab the "mugs" then drop it a little and get the patient.

Back
Top Bottom