MSconfig Max Memory and Usable memory issues

Associate
Hello, I've been searching for a solution to this problem for a while, and have been unable to find a solution.

Not long ago I was having startup error loops and BSOD. This stopped somehow when I enabled the "Maximum memory" setting in msconfig. At least I think this is what fixed it, I'm not sure if I did anything else at the time. I don't think so though.

Anyways, after upgrading my RC windows 7 64bit to Windows 7 64bit Professional, hoping to fix the above problem I then came across another problem. Task Manager is only showing 1791MB available memory when I have 4GB installed.

I remember fixing this problem with the "Maximum Memory" option in msconfig, but now it is not allowing me to enter "4096" as my max memory, and just setting it to "0" when I do. If I enter 3072, it still lists 1791MB available memory.

Here is a Screenshot which I hope will help:

infotd.png

As you can see, when I enter 4096 into maximum memory, apply it, and then re-enter the screen, it shows the above. And when I do, the memory in task manager then goes down to 1GB. The 1791GB shown above is when max memory is not checked.

My motherboard is the Abit IP35-Pro and I am using I believe the bios #14. If any of you have any experience with this motherboard, do you know if updating to bios #17 would fix this problem? I do not have a floppy drive so I would have to update by CD and I would really like to avoid messing with bios updating.

When I upgraded my OS I did so with all 4 memory modules installed. I read somewhere that you should take 2GB out before doing so. Is this true? Would reinstalling windows 7 (I have the upgrade version) with 2GB of memory fix this issue?

I hope some of you can solve this, it is incredibly frustrating having 4GB of memory installed while only being able to use less than 2GB of it.

Associate
Bump

Has no one seen this before? :(

I've just posted about what sounds like the same issue in the Memory forum. From reading a few posts, other's seem to having a similar problem.

My issue is that my PC will only show 1gb from cold-boot but from any subsequent restart will show the usual 3.325 GB of the 4Gb (as I'm using Vista 32bit).

I also had a boot-bluescreen loop recently which I had to repair. Turned out to be a corrupt boot sector. I'm actually starting to wonder if a windows update has caused this issue as like I said, there seem to be quite a few having this issue recently and I can't find any link between hardware and the problem.

Back
Top Bottom