Grim Dawn - ARPG

Associate
new game from (well some of) the devs who developed Titan Quest now working as Crate Entertainment. Looking forward to this game, the screenies look pretty good. :)

Grim Dawn website

*edit* for those new here, the game is "content complete" as of today, (23/12/2015) in Build 29.
:)

EDIT as of 18/09/2017 - post #230
Expansion trailer just released along with price and rough release date, looking forward to it immensely. :)

http://www.grimdawn.com/forums/showthread.php?p=536398#post536398

EDIT from feb 2019 - post #356
Gameplay Trailer for the upcoming expansion. Can't come soon enough, love me some more Grim Dawn. :)

EDIT - some mod info from post #440 [B][U]@TheSwede[/U][/B] :)

So, started playing this a while ago again and thought I post some quality of life mods that I am using.

First one is an actually mod, the way Grim Dawn works you can only have one unless they been merged.

It is called Grim UI: X-Mod and expands the back pack space and the windows for the smuggler, blacksmiths, illusionist and of course your own character. Considering how much loot drops in Grim Dawn, for me this mod was a given one ! [REL] Grim UI over at Crate Forum

Then there is GD Stash, it can be used to do a lot of different things, including store items, craft new ones if you don't want to play the gamble in game by creating things there. It also makes it possible to changed a character from being recognized as played with a mod to a normal vanilla character so that you can, if you want to, use the Online GrimTools functions of showing of your character by uploading all the stats/armour etc. The GrimTool's website you can also check for monsters, items and keep an eye on your progress in the game, but most importantly, has a fully functional map over the game with everything covered. That is if you like maps outside of the game of course ! :p

Then there is Grim Internal, which has several good features, one of them being auto-pickup for all the components and you have a display with buff, money and monsterkill counter, i.e. Common, Champions, Hero, Boss and nemesis. And a loot more. A recent feature is you can remove all the fog like effects and make the game look much better and not washed out, as can be seen in this post over at Crate Forum; Is there a mod that remove fog in zones

And then we have the Rainbow Filter for Item Highlighting, which makes it SO much easier to know which green are the more special armor/weapon drops with better stats then normal ones. It's also have the text in color for the item information text. It can be changed to your own liking though.

Although I am using a expanded storage mod I realized a few days ago that it wont be enough for all the drops, if one want to save them since after all, you do have a shared stash between all your character so you can get a drop from character 1 that fists your second character much better etc. I ended up installing [Tool] Grim Dawn Item Assistant, which simply store all the items outside of the game, either in a save cloud or locally on your PC. Very easy to use, just follow the instructions and you be fine. :) It is also very easy to search for certain types of weapon or armor within the Item Assistant client, so highly recommended mod.

Lastly this is a tool I found just yesterday, which the creator made into a offline tool today since they wont be maintaining it after December this year. It shows you what components you need for any items you wish the blacksmith to make for you. And if you played the game you do know that towards the end there is some items that need a huge amount of resources to be made, this tool make it super easy to see what you need, but way more importantly, what you missing since it can check your stash in the game as to what you already own ! Link to the thread; [Site] Grim Dawn Relic Tool although it don't have much information so here is a link directly to the tool itself; GDCraft for offline use.

So, there is some mods that should make things easier for playing the game, although some of you might already be using these mods though ! :p

Last edited:
Caporegime
2011-06-20_mainmenu01_lrg.jpg

2011-06-13_spellz0r_lrg.jpg

2010-08-19_barricade01_lrg.jpg

a Demolition class
2010-12-15_oldgrove04_lrg.jpg

Caporegime
http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2011/08/03/titanic-quest-crate-speak-about-grim-dawn/

I think we’re probably unique just in the sense that, while most studios are redesigning their games to be more casual-player friendly, we’re busy making Grim Dawn more complex and probably casual-player hostile.

To court the casual audience, developers are simplifying game systems and minimizing the potential for inexperienced players to make bad choices. They’re reducing the amount of time it takes to finish games, adding a constant stream of visible rewards for increasingly simplified achievements, and allowing players to pay for success when the effort of achieving it through the game proves too challenging or time consuming. We’ve come a long way from my childhood, where failure in most games caused you to start completely over from the beginning, to a point where it is impossible to fail in many games and in some you can just pull out your credit card when you decide it is time to win.

:D

Associate
I loved Titan Quest and I have had my eye on this for a while. If Diablo III fails me I can always play this!

Soldato
Looking good - I especially like the 'casual player hostile' comment. All I want is an inventory filled with loot, lots of stats to fiddle with, and 1000s of beasties to slay.

Soldato
Do you only fight zombie/undead creatures? Dissapointing if so. I've always found zombies, undead or anything similar to be boring enemies in isometric rpg games.

Last edited:
Associate
This has been going on for a while now hasn't it? I remember a thread (or someone mentioning in a thread) about this a year ago.

Still in pre-alpha aye? Not sure I want to stump cash for something that may never arrive or when does, is irrelevant/surpassed/outdated.

edit - this is the thread. not much movement then.....

Last edited:
Soldato
How did I miss this ?? looks great and Titan Quest is still one of my all time top PC games.

Anyone grabbed the beta yet ? quite tempted to pre-order if it gets you a slot now.

Associate
there is no beta yet, it's still in the dev stages. if you pay at this stage you fund the dev work, get your name in the credits etc and I think get access to all the alphas and betas when they arrive.

they are posting updates in their forums, so work is ongoing!

Caporegime
Grim Dawn is now on kickstarter!!, this thread will be used for the kickstarter too and no extra ones :mad:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/crateentertainment/grim-dawn

Grim Dawn: An open-world ARPG!

Grim Dawn is an action role-playing game for PC and a spiritual successor to Titan Quest. For the past two years a small team of former Iron Lore veterans at Crate Entertainment have been developing Grim Dawn with their own, improved version of the Iron Lore engine and tools; the same technology used to create Titan Quest.

We’ve listened to years of feedback from the Titan Quest community and continue to do so every day on the Grim Dawn forums as we strive to improve upon past performance and make this our greatest work yet. The creation of Grim Dawn is guided by traditional design and old school sensibilities, with innovation only in the areas where we feel it truly improves the game and isn't just a gimmicky back of the box feature.

Grim Dawn will:

Be DRM free!
Include robust modding tools so you can create your own worlds!
Be faster-paced, with much more satisfying enemy hit reactions and deaths.
Allow you to fight house-to-house as you lay waste to enemies and the former owner’s furniture in the process. Break through walls to open up new areas of exploration!
Feature a more open-world design with randomized elements that will greatly enhance replay-ability. Each play-through will be unique with "set-piece" spawners that can turn a patch of wilderness into different types of enemy camps, a traveling merchant caravan, etc, each with their own unique art.
We don’t control where you go; you do! If you don't want to follow the main story, you aren't forced to. Non-linear progression allows you to unlock new areas by repairing bridges, defeating enemy blockades, etc, as soon as you have the resources and power to do it. Race ahead into higher-level areas and get pwned, we'll warn you but we're not going to stop you!
Let you combine any two of five distinct skill classes, each with multiple skill trees in which to specialize. Spend money to reclaim skill points if you’re unhappy with your build.
Have a refined loot system that drops far less junk-items, produces more uber randomized gear and ensures more consistent rewards from hero and boss monsters.
Immerse you in a gritty, dangerous, Victorian era fantasy world where humankind has been pushed to the brink of extinction by warring otherworldly powers.
Give players meaningful quest choices and the ability to visually change the starting town as they help to rebuild and secure the future survival of humanity.
Let you ally with NPC factions to earn rewards and unlock new quest lines. Be wary though, aiding one group can make another your enemy!
Join up with friends in coop-multiplayer through online match-making or play over LAN and experience the full game together.
And so much more…
Cairn, a world besieged...

Players will be thrust into the dark, war-torn world of Cairn where a once proud empire has been brought to ruin and the human race driven to the edge of extinction. Cairn has become ground zero of an eternal war between two otherworldly powers, one seeking to use human bodies as a resource, the other intent upon destroying the human race before that can happen. This cataclysmic war has not only decimated human civilization but is warping the very fabric of reality and, in its wake, giving life to new horrors.

For humankind it is the dawn of a grim new age where iron has replaced gold as currency and the importance of salt as a weapon makes it far too valuable to waste on food. Small enclaves of human survivors exist scattered throughout the world, holed up in hidden refuges

Back
Top Bottom