• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

6600k price

Associate
Think yourself lucky at that, i paid 225 when they went up in November last year, and now seen them as low as 190.

Saying that, i'm more than happy with the CPU itself, runs pretty cool and handles pretty much everything i need with ease.

Soldato
OcUK aren't competitive when it comes to CPU pricing. I'd be looking elsewhere. :p

Well that's not just the problem with Skylake, the problem is Intel priced i5 chips to i7 prices and opened a new price point for the i7's.. Which is ridiculous. They are just trying to milk the market and see how far they can push it and worst part for a minor speed bump compared to their previous generations. Nothing like shooting yourself in the foot and hopping about raving how good their latest CPU's are when they are not, they think the public are stupid.

The only way they will do well with these cpus is with the ready built systems, desktops and laptops. The person that builds/upgrades their pc will not look at them if they had a good chip from their previous generations.

They will soon recover the stocks of these chips and sell them dirt cheap to OEM laptop and desktop builders, We the public won't see them sold as retail or OEM chips reduced in price, because they don't want to show their true value and what they sell them on to OEM system builders.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
i'd be happy enough to go skylake as im currently running a phenom 955be. if i have to upgrade, might as well be to latest platform. it just ****es me off that OC spin this as some kind of 'deal' when it blatantly isn't. THIS WEEK ONLY. apart from its not, its the same as last week and a tenner more than yesterday.

really tempted to hold out for am4 on principle.

and........., if they can manage to give free post to forum spammers, its a bit insulting to pay postage when i drop £500+ notes. makes me feel all undervalued when i've purchased my last three systems at OC.

really tempted not to use OC on principle too now.

Associate
The sad thing is that Intel can charge what they want because there is no competition from AMD or anyone else.

I am still on an i7 2600k @ 4.5Ghz and do not feel I have to splash out silly money to upgrade for minimum gains.

Soldato
The sad thing is that Intel can charge what they want because there is no competition from AMD or anyone else.

I am still on an i7 2600k @ 4.5Ghz and do not feel I have to splash out silly money to upgrade for minimum gains.

Its simply not true that Intel have ramped up the price of their I7 CPU's over previous gens in recent years.

The price we pay fluctuates due to the £/$ exchange rate and (especially with Skylake) shortages in the retail channels (in was candidly admitted on these forums last year by a member of ocuk staff that retailers in general were making much larger percentages than normal on Skylake chips as the demand was far outstripping the supply so retailers could charge a bigger premium.)

I have previously demonstrated that Intel have NOT ramped up their pricing in recent years... Its just not true!

Previously posted........

Check out the launch bulk prices (i.e. what Intel sell on to retailers OEM’s etc) for the previous ‘top end’ i7 consumer socket four core/ eight thread CPU’s over the past four years

http://hexus.net/tech/reviews/cpu/85193-intel-core-i7-6700k-14nm-skylake/

Launch 1ku prices

6700k $350 - August 2015
5775c $366
4790k $339
4770k $339
3770k $313
2700k $332 - October 2011

Allowing for inflation (http://www.usinflationcalculator.com/ ) from 2011 to 2015 plugging the 2700k value in gives an inflation adjusted price of…………………….

Drum roll

$351.20!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The 6700k is a 14nm CPU so where is the premium Intel charged for the CPU new over the previous gen Broadwell (which they asked more for! - probably due to the iGPU) and over the gen before that, Haswell, where they asked for a whole $11 dollars less.

Haswell to Skylake is 22nm to 14nm with a whole new CPU design to cost for

Haswell-E to Broadwell-E is the same design shrunk from 22nm to 14nm i.e. probably cheaper to deal with then a new CPU design

Oh and if you factor in inflation for the 4770k (march 2013) to 2015 the price goes from 339 to 346
so basically adjusted for Inflation Intel's 4c/8t top end cpu pricing has remained pretty much unchanged despite spending 'billions' in the mean time to develop new designs on smaller processes.......

Current Intel recommended pricing for the 6700k ...... $350!

http://ark.intel.com/products/88195/Intel-Core-i7-6700K-Processor-8M-Cache-up-to-4_20-GHz

Adjusted for inflation in $ the 6700K is not more expensive then your 2600k at launch ($317 in January of 2011) Allowing for inflation = circa $350 in 2016 money!

http://hexus.net/tech/reviews/cpu/2...ge-core-i5-2500k-core-i7-2600k-review/?page=3

Last edited:
Soldato
We have a winner.

To give an example .......

http://www.oanda.com/currency/historical-rates/

Check out $ vs £ over the past 12 months ...

July 21st 2015 $1 was equal to £0.6342

January 18th 2016 $1 was equal to £0.7024

= £0.0682 difference or a 10.75% increase in six months

This is why chips are inching up in price at the moment from the graph you can see the biggest increase has been in the past two months since the start of December 2015

Soldato
Well that's not just the problem with Skylake, the problem is Intel priced i5 chips to i7 prices and opened a new price point for the i7's.. Which is ridiculous. They are just trying to milk the market and see how far they can push it and worst part for a minor speed bump compared to their previous generations. Nothing like shooting yourself in the foot and hopping about raving how good their latest CPU's are when they are not, they think the public are stupid.

The only way they will do well with these cpus is with the ready built systems, desktops and laptops. The person that builds/upgrades their pc will not look at them if they had a good chip from their previous generations.

They will soon recover the stocks of these chips and sell them dirt cheap to OEM laptop and desktop builders, We the public won't see them sold as retail or OEM chips reduced in price, because they don't want to show their true value and what they sell them on to OEM system builders.

Please stop spreading incorrect information.

Intel publish recommend retail prices for their CPUs.

The 6700k has the same recommended price as the 4790k did - $350.00. Check the Intel ARK website if you want a source.

Skylake has been a very popular CPU (as confirmed by Intel) hence the short supply and retailers gouging prices.

Soldato
I remember paying £160 for my 2500K, which was the equivalent at the time... :eek:

From 2011 to 2016 the $ to £ has fluctuated from 0.6 to 0.7 so your 2500k in 2016 money could cost £186.67 before inflation is factored in.

The cumulative inflation rate from 2011 to 2015 for the $ is 5 4% that takes the adjusted cost up to £196.75.

Factor in skylake stock shortages and the current costs are not surprising

Back
Top Bottom