Ips,TN,Freesync..im confused!

Soldato
Hey guys,

Im confused as hell,Im looking for a new monitor (27-29") 144Hz if possible 1440p.

Im looking at this monitor
(MG279Q ROG Dominator 27" 2560x1440 IPS FREESYNC 144Hz)
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/asus...escreen-led-slim-bezel-monitor-mo-083-as.html

I see that Freesync is an AMD thing,Will i be able to take advantage of the 144Hz even though im using an Nvidia card? (GTX 970)

There is also this monitor
S2716DG 27" 2560x1440 TN G-Sync 144Hz
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/dell...reen-led-monitor-midnight-grey-mo-084-de.html

Whats the best to go for?..Is TN older tech?

• IPS
  • LED Backlit
  • TN
  • AH-IPS (Seems more expensive)

Soldato
Some basics to help you understand:

Freesync = AMD
G Sync = nVidia

You can however utilise the full refresh rate of the monitor (e.g. 144Hz) if you were to get a Freesync monitor, but have an nVidia card (and vice-versa).
What you cannot do however is utilise the adaptive refresh rate (which is what Freesync and Gsync are).

If you're not sure what adaptive refresh rate is, basically what it means is that the refresh rate of the monitor will sync itself to the frame rate. So if you're running a game on your 144Hz panel and using Freesync/Gsync, but you're framerate drops to 60, the refresh rate of the monitor will dip with it to keep the gameplay smooth (no stuttering or screen tearing).

As regards to the screentype - non are 'older' as such but they do differ quite a lot. Briefly you can think of them as such:

TN - Lower response time, better for games. Colour, Image Quality and viewing angles are less good than alternatives.

IPS - Better colour and image quality, as well as viewing angles. This comes at the expense of a slower response times, so slightly less good for games. Usually this is still more than adequate for casual gamers.
There are differing types of IPS panel (such as AH-IPS) as you mentioned, and Samsung have their own version called PLS - but to make things simple you can treat them all the same.

There is also a third screen type, called VA (or SVA or PVA). This is less common and usually used by only a few manufacturers. This could be considered somewhat of a middle ground between TN and IPS, but it's probably closer to IPS but has different pros and cons.

LED backlit means that the light used to illuminate the screen (all screens are illuminated, aka brightness) is an LED light. Older generations of screen used a type of fluorescent light (CCFL), but generally speaking all new monitors being produced will be LED backlit.

Hope that helps!

Last edited:
Associate
I also find all the variations incredibly confusing. Excellent explanation above though. Thanks, Scottland! It is looking like one of the Asus Rog Swift's are clear favourite for me, but they sure are premium price!

Soldato
OP
Thank you for the informative reply Scotland! :)

Most likely go for something like this then,Although i think the price is a little steep?
S2716DG 27" 2560x1440 TN G-Sync 144Hz

Soldato
OP
I would go with IPS for better colours and viewing angle than TN .
The problem is,a lot of the current choice of IPS have crappy 60hz refresh rate..i wont settle for anything less that 120hz..im already on a 120hz 1920x1080 monitor now so stepping back to a standard 60hz i would definitely notice.

I'd probably also go for the IPS OP, although in truth if you're planning on continuing using Nvidia GPUs then I'd fork out the extra ££s and get a Gsync monitor instead:

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/acer...een-led-monitor-black-red-um.h-mo-077-ac.html

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/asus...descreen-led-monitor-black-red-mo-088-as.html

Yeah they look superb,But no way would i pay that sort of prices.

£450 is the absolute max i would spend. :)
I dont know why monitors are so expensive tbh,They're not expensive to produce!,Not with the quality we get these days anyway...they use the cheapest capacitors in them etc.

Soldato
G-Sync monitors are more expensive as the GSync system has to be purchased from nVidia as an additional component. Whereas Freesync is open and manufacturers can do it themselves so there's a much smaller cost increase. I *think* thats the gist of it anyway...

I'd personally go for the IPS screen and forego Gsync - but for some it would be the other way around. I'd maybe try and see some in action to help you decide for yourself.

Soldato
I went for the Asus 144hz ips gsync, and it's wonderful. Was bloody expensive though. If budget doesn't go that far and you know you want high refresh then TN is your only real option. I couldn't go back to TN though after IPS

Soldato
Worth mentioning that IPS screens can suffer from horrible glow issues.

Basically there isn't yet a monitor for all-round PC use yet. OLED will hopefully solve this in the future.

Soldato
OP
Yeah,Again having a good look today there really isnt any monitors that are in the sweet spot,They either have great res but poor refresh rate.

Or are a good refresh rate,and have good res but are TN.

Or are just too expensive.

Guess il just wait and stick with that i have for now,Thanks people.!

Soldato
OP
Of course, people that want the moon and the sky and all for a penny, will always end up being disappointed.

You have not had 3 newish monitors die on you randomly i guess in the past 2 years and the manufacturers not wanting to know,Even if you say you will pay for the repair!,Monitors are not built anywhere near as well as they use to be these days,Cheap capacitors,Cheaply made external PSUs..They are not worth £400-600 imo.

Its not about wanting everything cheap,I wouldn't consider "£450" cheap.

Back
Top Bottom