Sky Fibre Optic

V F

V F

Soldato
I'd hazard a guess the wifi isn't great, it's not gigabit, it lacks decent line stats and it's lacking enthusiast level features - not that they should be expected on a consumer class ISP supplied router per say, but officially you can't swap it out for something suitable and it doesn't support bridged mode (modem only) making people resort to either DMZ and/or 3rd party hardware.

Oh, I see. I've always used Sky's/routers/disabled wifi for the gateway to the internet while I have gigabit switches/wireless access points for everything else. I assumed this was how most had theirs setup...

I've always preferred to keep as much load off the main part since the beginning of ADSL since I was always trying to get as much potential out of my poor line.

Last edited:
Associate
Is it generally considered the norm to have a higher latency on a fibre service as compared to a standard ADSL connection?

I have spoken with sky live chat and they tell me they have zero control over any settings on a fibre service and that the DLM system takes care of everything. So I cannot have fast path enabled like I did on ADSL and as such my latency is constantly creeping up as the DLM makes changes to my line.

sky1.jpg

Everytime I have a connection drop, I will reconnect with higher latency, so over a period of days there is a step ladder effect on the graph. Is this the DLM forcing more error correction on my line?

V F

V F

Soldato
Why is that? Why is it cable which is still fibre can deliver single digits for latency. My lowest latency on ADSL Max is 35. If l'm going to get the same latency that is **** poor as far as I'm concerned.

Besides, Openreach never delivered my activation date for yesterday.

Associate
I'd hazard a guess the wifi isn't great, it's not gigabit, it lacks decent line stats and it's lacking enthusiast level features - not that they should be expected on a consumer class ISP supplied router per say, but officially you can't swap it out for something suitable and it doesn't support bridged mode (modem only) making people resort to either DMZ and/or 3rd party hardware.

Spot on. It was really patchy and only Wireless N150 so unless you had direct line of sight it wasn't particularly quick for file transfers. Nothing wrong with it just as a modem but as an AIO solution it seriously lacks behind the rest.

Credit to BT where it's due though as the HH4 I had was pretty good and I hear the HH5 is even better

V F

V F

Soldato
Openreach are hopeless. 2nd phone call today, was guaranteed it be activated today. Sky now don't know why but it has been pushed back to Tuesday. First time it was the 5th, then the 12th now the 16th and still no guarantee.

Associate
Why is that? Why is it cable which is still fibre can deliver single digits for latency. My lowest latency on ADSL Max is 35. If l'm going to get the same latency that is **** poor as far as I'm concerned.

Besides, Openreach never delivered my activation date for yesterday.

Have you called for an update?, sky seem quite well tied in to Openreach so maybe there is some notes, even if it's just "did'nt have time" I think they work 7 days so maybe it will kick in today?

I had to reboot to get throughput after the switchover, I caught it resyncing on the change over day.

Started on 80/20, now 60/20, as Sky can see all the disconnects they have booked an SFI to look into it. I think the SR102 just is'nt all that great as an all in one for fibre, but it was the best ADSL router I have ever used (I don't use wifi :))

Associate
Openreach are hopeless. 2nd phone call today, was guaranteed it be activated today. Sky now don't know why but it has been pushed back to Tuesday. First time it was the 5th, then the 12th now the 16th and still no guarantee.

Ah unlucky, My switch took 4 weeks. Cynic in me thinks anything not BT Infinity or Plusnet related gets put to the bottom of the list.

Associate
Only been with virgin before sky but least they didn't drop conection.
Not sure about other isp's I guess it depends on location for stability...my conection was good as gold when I went with sky fibre ....I was getting 2 ms ping and never dropped but then sky made some changes last year to the exchanges my ping went up to 20ms for a month or two....but now I get 6-7ms

but since the changes to the cabinets or exhange there was a thread about the changes they made cant remember what its called now.
Its been drop out central....but your lucky it's working fine for you...but when your disconnected for 4 to 12 hrs at a time on a regular basis. ...I'm sure you would want to jump ship to..

you either have a line fault or you need to roll back the firmware on the your hub. Its very simple to do look at the link below and read the post by James Mitchell

http://helpforum.sky.com/t5/Fibre-b...as-my-connection-keeps-resetting/td-p/2379220

failing this I will message you a number you can ring to speak to teir 2 support, sometimes little things get missed.

With regards to the router firmware issues there are some lucky people that dont have disconnects but someone in sky need a rollocking for the hassle it caused.

Kev

V F

V F

Soldato
Ah unlucky, My switch took 4 weeks. Cynic in me thinks anything not BT Infinity or Plusnet related gets put to the bottom of the list.

You'll never believe what the excuse was for that day by the Openreach engineer. Just off the phone from Sky. Was unreal the conversation that you'd be in hysterics. One of many.

It couldn't be activated that day as he never had the right key for the cabinet. Considering Sky said it is a master key that covers all. One of the others Sky told me for another customer why it was delayed, the cabinet had roof tiles sitting on top of it so he couldn't work on it for health and safety reasons.

Ever heard such BS? The dog ate my homework.

Associate
All fixed after a nice visit from a super friendly and knowledgeable Openreach guy.
It's amazing what they can do with just a mobile phone and there little magic box. They don't even need to visit the cab to reset the DLM, they just send a text or somthing and it resets while they are still in your house and they can recheck the line/sync speeds 60secs later.
He made sure fastpath was on, both upstream and downstream, and even insisted I do a couple of speed tests to make sure the throughput was ok.

Thumbs up from me, Mr Openreach guy :)

145563157561072784558.png
5090841411.png

Last edited:
Soldato
Ever heard such BS? The dog ate my homework.

As a child I have unfortunately experienced 'dog ate my homework', but I took said homework in to prove the point. As an adult i've regularly experienced 'dog ate my...' post, bank card, packaging for items I had listed on ebay and numerous other things. The cat's also got a thing for the red 'sorry we missed you' cards Royal Mail leave, he doesn't chew them but we regularly find them in the bedroom or bathroom. I've suggested eating the dog and cat - I even printed off recipes and treated the wife to a suitably sized slow cooker, unfortunately this suggestion failed to receive family approval though she kept the slow cooker.

I've known a few installs fail for various reasons, a tech being caught pleasuring himself in the back of the van by a customer, a tech soiling himself half way up the stairs at a customers house (in fairness the tech finished the install before leaving) and countless others, sometimes you just have to go with what they tell you.

Man of Honour
No, it can't be used as a modem. However you can do one of two things if you want to use the RT-N66U:
1) Buy a seperate modem and packet sniff the connection details you need and put them into the RT-N66U (with appropriate firmware). Google is your friend here.
2) Turn wireless off on the SR102, use the RT-N66U as a hotspot and point it at the SR102 for its default gateway.

Soldato
I've made a switch from BT to Sky following a great offer from Sky and some truely dire service from BT but I'm struggling with Sky's router - it's pretty much useless.

I've got it plugged in to my old BT HH5 at the moment but I'd prefer to have just 1 device. I understand it's going to take a bit of messing around with and I've already extracted the Sky username and password from their hub but I can't get the BT hub to accept them.

Is there a way of getting the HH5 to work on Sky and if not could someone recommend a combined modem/router that will work and won't suck?

Soldato
I've made a switch from BT to Sky following a great offer from Sky and some truely dire service from BT but I'm struggling with Sky's router - it's pretty much useless.

I've got it plugged in to my old BT HH5 at the moment but I'd prefer to have just 1 device. I understand it's going to take a bit of messing around with and I've already extracted the Sky username and password from their hub but I can't get the BT hub to accept them.

Is there a way of getting the HH5 to work on Sky and if not could someone recommend a combined modem/router that will work and won't suck?

Yes the Sky Hub is not great but I'm afraid the HH5 can't be used with Sky as it does not support the MER authentication used by sky.

I'm afraid your only option is to look at purchasing an alternative router, the Asus ones are good.

Associate
none... Sky unlimited is truly unlimited and will be on Fibre too.

only downside is for the initial roll out speeds will only be upto 40meg down and 2 meg up unlike BT's 40/10

once the intial phase is done i imagine 40/10 will be implemented and potential 80/20 also.

I had Plusnet fibre in the past. It was great but after having VM Vivid 200. I could not give up my 2hundy meg :D

Back
Top Bottom