Three mobile - forced contract change

Soldato
BT doesn't allow tethering apparently (where as EE do). It's the one thing that's stopping me jumping ship to BT. Hopefully I can get some sort of deal as I finally received the dreaded letter from three today!

Associate
I've just ordered a BT Sim you get 14 days to try it, so will report back about tethering etc there seems to be some people saying you can and some can't.

I'm on three and got the dreaded letter. The deal with BT looked too good not to try

Soldato
I switched mine to Threes 200 mins, unlimited text, unlimited data, 12gb tether, 12 months, £18/month (think its gone up to £20 now though).

Actually cheaper than what I was paying on the One Plan after upgrading to an iPhone :D

That's the tariff I put my kids on, I'm still o the one plan, use 1gb or less pm on tether and 20+ on phone, if and when I get knocked off I'll take the above tariff mself.

RJC

RJC

Don
Went to try the Vodafone Sim only deal as I needed more minutes and managed to get the £20 deal with Unlimited Texts, Minutes & Data also 12gb Tethering.

Associate
Best I found after leaving 3 was 12ppm and 3gb data.
This is ok for me

But you won't find anything much more than 3gb for 15ppm

Plenty of deals offering more than 3gb for £15!

And Three will offer retention deals with more data for less, and no contract (I have one).

Permabanned
So much grief caused be the folk who abused the tethering on 3.

I hope they are proud of the extra cost we are all now having stump up.

Wish I could get them to pay my excess cost.

Don
My three contract is up so I called them yesterday with the intention of cancelling for the £16 BT deal (I was paying £22 for 600mins and unlimited data, 12 month contract with three). The lady went away and offered me unlimited everything (with 12gb of tethering) for £20 a month so I snapped that up.

My Dad (who was on a rolling contract) tried to get the same deal and they said it doesn't exist (this was only a few hours after I got given the deal).

I think I got lucky.

No, they just fobbed your Dad off. I'm in the same position as you and phoned them to request my PAC and they offered me the exact same deal as you. I turned it down though and am switching to Vodafone. The fact that I don't get a signal at work with 3 and 12 months Netflix swung it in their favour.
Yes, it makes a Netflix account for you that you can use on any device :)

I'm right in thinking that if you already have a Netflix account, even if it's no longer active, they simply credit it with the equivalent cost of a 12 month subscription.

Associate
I'm right in thinking that if you already have a Netflix account, even if it's no longer active, they simply credit it with the equivalent cost of a 12 month subscription.

I believe that's correct yes.

I got the Vodafone deal the other day (20gb data, unlimited mins/texts and an entertainment pack) for £20 a month, less than I was paying for 8GB! The entertainment pack makes it really worth it IMHO plus no issues with tethering

Man of Honour
Went to try the Vodafone Sim only deal as I needed more minutes and managed to get the £20 deal with Unlimited Texts, Minutes & Data also 12gb Tethering.

I just got a limited time (upgrade) deal for unlimited + 20GB data and 12months Spotify premium for £20/m which as I'm currently paying for Spotify premium means that is effectively £10/m for the phone plan.

Bit of a chore changing over though as I've got to remember to cancel the Spotify account and then remember to renew it through Vodafone when it has expired.

EDIT: Wow - by pure chance managed to snag a Galaxy Note 4 through work for £187 off the retail price :) not a bad little upgrade combined with the above offer.

Last edited:
Associate
Add my 2p
I have been on the £15 unlimited everything including Tethering for about 4 yrs
this morning a letter popped thru the letterbox informing me that all the old contracts are being stopped and they would like to offer me unlimited texts data and calls for £30 a month minus £3 a month Loyalty discount

my first reaction was stuff that £27 a month

but after a little thinking if this includes unlimted tethering I could do away with my landline altogether
the letter actually say NOTHING about tethering so I guess a phone call in a day or two might clear it up

without unlimited tethering I would not touch it at that price

Soldato

Just to 100% confirm this, they add 12*whatever the monthly for netflix is for the mid package as credit to your netflix account and that's it, you'll show as in credit on your netflix eg mine shows:

"Your £54.93 credit will be applied to your next bill." (it's been going down since my last upgrade).

Spotify does NOT work the same way, Voda can send stop/start premium commands via the spotify system and will just be subsidised basically.

Man of Honour
Spotify does NOT work the same way, Voda can send stop/start premium commands via the spotify system and will just be subsidised basically.

Spotify is a bit of a pain with the entertainment pack :S adding it to an existing premium subscription seems to require waiting until your current billing cycle expires before you can enable the voda offer on your account.

Soldato
This Vodafone deal is really good, £20 with 20GB and a free subscription service.

http://www.vodafone.co.uk/shop/bundles-and-sims/sim-only-deals/b/index.htm

if you already subscribe to Netflix or Spotify etc then that makes the contract really cheap.

"Enjoy 12 months of Netflix, Spotify Premium, a NOW TV Entertainment Pass or Sky Sports Mobile TV. We’ll send you a text with details on how to choose your entertainment pack after we’ve processed your order."

Can also get around £80 cashback also.

If I may chime in here, I believe if you know someone who is eligible for the Vodafone Advantage scheme you should also get 20% off. I added my mother's advantage discount to my own account (for a phone contract). You add discount after sim has been activated and it is usually applied for month 2 billing onwards in my experience.

http://www.vodafone.co.uk/vodafone-advantage/

EDIT: Do not quote me on this, but it is quite possible you can get this with this deal. Not sure how they work in conjunction with special offers.

Don
I believe that's correct yes.

I got the Vodafone deal the other day (20gb data, unlimited mins/texts and an entertainment pack) for £20 a month, less than I was paying for 8GB! The entertainment pack makes it really worth it IMHO plus no issues with tethering

Can confirm that's definitely the case. Just selected Netflix and it's added £89.88 credit (equivalent of 1 years sub) to my account.

Back
Top Bottom