Vehicle Excise Duty changing again

Soldato
Now switching to a £140 flat rate for any non-zero emission cars, with a supplementary charge of £310/year for five years for any cars over £40,000. This will apply to cars registered after April 1st, 2017.

Article with details

Last edited:
Soldato
Tell me again about how it's to encourage people to drive more efficient cars... :rolleyes:

Because the gas guzzlers cost 4x more to tax! Over £2000!!

It makes sense though as every car destroys roads. Tax free cars are pointless in my eyes. My car destroys the road as much as a 'green' car... They don't float and road repairs cost money. :)

Deleted member 66701

D

Deleted member 66701

This government don't have environmental concerns particularly high on their agenda, but........

Because the gas guzzlers cost 4x more to tax! Over £2000!!

Yup - first year rate for 255g/km is £2000.

But after the first year, the rate is £140 unless the car cost more that £40k - plenty of gas guzzlers under £40k though - and it will make 6yr old gas guzzlers look VERY attractive when they start hitting the market.

Last edited by a moderator:
Soldato
This government don't have environmental concerns particularly high on their agenda, but........

Yup - first year rate for 255g/km is £2000.

But after the first year, the rate is £140 unless the car cost more that £40k - plenty of gas guzzlers under £40k though - and it will make 6yr old gas guzzlers look VERY attractive when they start hitting the market.

Ah right - I misread that as I was assuming £2k per year - not just the 1st year. All vehicles are £140 a year regardless of emissions. That's cool. They need to offer an incentive to buy a cleaner car though in a different way - maybe subsidise buying them?

Soldato
[TW]Fox;29168153 said:
No, they are screwing those who buy cars that once has an expensive list price. Many cars costing over 40k new cost rather less than that before they reach 5 years old...

There is a reason why I value my 20 year old vehicles and go to a great deal of effort to keep them going! ;)

Associate
+1.

Make it £2 a litre and scrap VED. Those with economical cars pay less.... Simples.

£2 a litre might be a bit off. I barely use a tank a month lately so I'd just about break even but surely the average motorist doing 10k a year would get screwed?

I like the idea in principle though rather than over charging the people that run thirsty cars but use them a lot less

Back
Top Bottom