Blooded Panda

Soldato
G1 4.6 Twin Turbo- Completed

Sure I can come up with a better name at a later point :)

After seeking ideas and input for an all AMD xfire /A10 build in a s340 , experiment will be put on a back burner and with lower tech. So I'd thought I'd stick to what I know best , nvidia / Intel and s340.

i5 6600k
gigabyte z170 gaming 7
Geil White dragon 4000hz 8GB
2x Asus GTX 970 Turbo
EVGA 850w P2 (over kill but same price as 650 version)
2x Samsung 950 Pro 248GB (raid)
S340 White

Thanks to OC for boxing day deal on the Turbo build hits just a few quid over £1k :)

Just torn on cooling, wanting to keep CPU on air like last build yet set it up a bit.
Then to hybrid cool the Turbos with either EK thermosphere or alpha blocks and keep the blower on top

Parts should arrive in next two weeks :)

Last edited:
Associate
Looking forward to watching your build log. Definitely the right decision to go with your current build idea than the Xfire/APU combo as that may improve considerably when Zen is launched.

I like the idea of a hybrid cooling system but surely all water cooling is more effective as you can remove the heat directly outside of the case to improve the performance of the air-cooling on the CPU.

Anyway, good luck with the build as I'm sure it will be superb :)

Soldato
OP
Looking forward to watching your build log. Definitely the right decision to go with your current build idea than the Xfire/APU combo as that may improve considerably when Zen is launched.

I like the idea of a hybrid cooling system but surely all water cooling is more effective as you can remove the heat directly outside of the case to improve the performance of the air-cooling on the CPU.

Anyway, good luck with the build as I'm sure it will be superb :)

True, I think its more of an aesthetic thing with the white shroud, unless I powder coat the alpha block/heat sink.
I'm hoping to sell the system on for what I bought it for so might end up going full water blocks, as I'm sure it'll look nice hybrid but may effect someone buying it if there's a hack and slash.
Got the cost of 2x 256GB 950s to the price of a single 512GB version one but can't help thinking about getting Intel's one with an EK block on it, lose the road and cost more but so pretty

Soldato
OP
Soldato
Sounds Great for sure :). I wouldnt really be too worried about ddr4 timings, speed etc though. Not really noticeable. If you can get the fastest the board can handle for the same price as slower stuff get that but otherwise I wouldnt be too set on the differences between 3000 and 4000.

Soldato
OP
Looking forward to seeing this take shape mate, good luck with the build

Cheers , was so set on raid 950 pros but since it disables a lot of data ports for such small storage space and for resale thought it'll be wise to stick to a single 512GB version. Seen some PCI heatsinks for it too

Soldato
OP
Sounds Great for sure :). I wouldnt really be too worried about ddr4 timings, speed etc though. Not really noticeable. If you can get the fastest the board can handle for the same price as slower stuff get that but otherwise I wouldnt be too set on the differences between 3000 and 4000.

Will grab the 4000, again anyone can add in future. Hate seeing main stream builds sold with 2400 ram and often costing more haha
Board handle 3888 I believe so downclock and timing tightening

Associate
Will grab the 4000, again anyone can add in future. Hate seeing main stream builds sold with 2400 ram and often costing more haha
Board handle 3888 I believe so downclock and timing tightening

What on earth is this advice... You are aware how stupidly expensive 4000mhz DDR4 is!?!?!
There is literally no difference whatsoever... You can EASILY overclock it anyways, my 2400mhz clocks to 3000mhz easy peasy.

Soldato
OP
What on earth is this advice... You are aware how stupidly expensive 4000mhz DDR4 is!?!?!
There is literally no difference whatsoever... You can EASILY overclock it anyways, my 2400mhz clocks to 3000mhz easy peasy.

Same price as 3000/3200. Just less ram.
Aye, overclocking is easy for Hz, but timings is key, does your OC ram have the same timings as 3000hz kits ?
For myself I set a price limit on ram £80 (VAT is claimed back).
Might have to do quick calculation to see if the 4000 kit is any better then the low timing 3000 kit which is quite impressive

Associate
Same price as 3000/3200. Just less ram.
Aye, overclocking is easy for Hz, but timings is key, does your OC ram have the same timings as 3000hz kits ?
For myself I set a price limit on ram £80 (VAT is claimed back).
Might have to do quick calculation to see if the 4000 kit is any better then the low timing 3000 kit which is quite impressive

Where can you notice the difference between said speeds??

Soldato
OP
Where can you notice the difference between said speeds??

Numbers based, not to often, high timings making high speed kits have the same access times as lower kits.

Personally I used the fastest kits with a blend of speed and timings when I was studying games design . for your average Joe playing games you shouldn't notice.
Half tempted to get both kits and bench it. As stated will be hopefully selling on the thing so would be interesting . specially if 3200 kit is over clocked and 4000 is declocked. Odd when you find benching more fun then actual gaming. Think I spend a month benching and over clocking systems even before a game is installed

Soldato
OP
Just ordered;
Phanteks TC14S with an extra pwm fan and 4*4GB Geil White dragon 3200hz. When for numbers to make it look pretty with all white ram sticks populating the black and red slots to match the colour scheme. Should be over clocked to 3333hz with keeping the same timings

Soldato
OP
I really like those GPUs. Sadly I've seen quite a few with bad fans in the GPU section of the forums. I really like how it all looks together though.

Yeah, the fan is aweful at slow and medium speeds but actually not to bad at 80% which is odd.
Like the 960 the heatsink is naff, specially at the price their charging , the Gigabyte versions has a better unit. Found it odd none of the men chips are physically cooled or receive any airflow . stuck thermal pads on the 960 version.
With this one I'm thinking of using alphacools water block and heatsink under the shroud of a EK thermosphere with ram sinks under the shroud . keep the asthestics but run cool

Soldato
OP
Got the turbos into my system to run a quick fire strike test, top card is running 10c hotter. Whilst cards are in a TJ07 the door panel was off.
Managed to do a last dry run with second CPU fan and sli. Tempted to order a 3rd fan for red/black/red but will see

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom